Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cyberstorm PPC-They wouldn't do that would they ??  (Read 5963 times)

Description:

Cyberstorm PPC-They wouldn't do that would they ??
« on: October 18, 2002, 11:04:07 AM »
Well I was looking for a Cyberstorm PPC card for my Amiga for some time.  Since it seems that not many people want to part with them, the market only see very few of them.

I've been told that I was to only get the ones made by Phase5, because DCE are a bunch of complete idiots.  Yeah I really don't want to get a accel card that was made in the some shoddy fashion that many trendy clothing lines are made (ie Ambercrombie and Fitch, GAP...) and get screwed out of a lot of money.

I saw on on eBay (I'm sure a couple have you too did so), and  I was all drooling until noticed a sticker on it that said "Made in Germany", my heart sank.  Does this really mean DCE made it ?  They wouldn't put there stickers on the older Phase5 they would have accquired during the take over , would they have ??

Let me know.  I'm kinda curious to find out.

Offline Bezzen

• Show only replies by Bezzen
    • http://www.streammountain.se
Re: Cyberstorm PPC-They wouldn't do that would they ??
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2002, 11:13:58 AM »
Phase 5 was a german company as well. But perhaps their cards were manufactured somewhere else.

As usual: I dunno.  :-D

Offline 4pLaY

• Show only replies by 4pLaY
    • https://www.amigalife.org
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2002, 11:37:57 AM »
Phase 5 and DCE are both german AND the cards are made on the exact same assembly line as DCE aquierd the assembly line when Phase 5 whent down! its of no matter what card you buy as theyre the same "quality" personaly id never buy such a card ever again! wait for Shark (if it ever comes) or buy A1 or Pegasos.

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show only replies by Herewegoagain
    • Http://www.ncscaug.us
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2002, 11:39:35 AM »
IIRC, phase5 had thier own production facilities and did the production there at the company.   I never got one of the PPC accelerators because they were too expensive.  I did buy the CV64/3D and have never had any issues with it, but then again, it's just a graphics card.
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2002, 11:54:37 PM »
@4Play

Well for one it does say it was made by DCE, that's why I was wondering.  When I posted that original message it was 5am in the morning, half asleep, waiting on my ride to work, so i forgot to mention that

Well currently its (Cyberstorm) up to US $365.00.  I'm gonna get an AmigaOne (I'm gonna refrain from refering to it as A1 as it makes me think of it as a steak condiment and what not), just waiting for them to get all the stuff finalized.  As for the Shark card, people say that it's gonna be vaporware.  I need something in my Amiga 4000 system to give it a real punch, NOW.  The original 40/25mhz is kinda slow.

I need concrete products that a here and not just on some CAD spread on a hardware engineer's computer.  As I've seen that is the fastest that the Amiga world has to offer.  I'm just concerned about the keeping the system running with such a card, Because people keep telling me that the people at DCE don't make them the same as Phase5 did, it troubles me.

My Amiga does need to be accelerated. Period.  The fastest, the better.  But I don't think I can live with myself posting up on to the board everyday with some nasty little problem I'm having with it.

I would really like to have a Cyberstorm PPC, but I don't know.  I want it to be like a Porsche.  You wouldn't buy a Porsche if you knew it didn't work right.  Sigh

Offline 4pLaY

• Show only replies by 4pLaY
    • https://www.amigalife.org
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2002, 12:24:33 AM »
If youre rich GO for it! if not DONT! its a waste of money! i agree a 040/25 is quite slow but id rather buy a cheaper 040/40 or 060 if you can find it! its enough speed for you to get used to before the AmigaOne is ready if thats the one you want.

Offline Crispy_Beef

• Show only replies by Crispy_Beef
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2002, 12:31:04 AM »
@justthatgood

I have an original Phase5 CyberStormPPC in my 4000 and it has done me proud over the years.  Wipeout 2097 is way cool.  :-)

The big problem with the DCE cards is that DCE is supporting them, and I use that term in a very vague sense of the word.  There have been various horror stories floating around about cards going missing for weeks/months on end while being "repaired".

If I were you I'd kick back and use your cash on an A1 or Pegasos, me I'm getting an A1 dev board.  If you don't want one of those, do as 4Play suggests and wait for a Shark.  Could be a while yet though.
-- Crispy

Offline Acill

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2002, 01:47:30 AM »
I think the shark will come out. I've had several email chats with a few guys at Elbox about the card and how it comming. They tell me they have production models made and have been in testing for quite some time now. The only reason they are not in full production is they want to wait for the AmigaOne and get it compatable. I'd like to think I was getting a truthfull story. I've seen pictures of them installed in A3000 and A4000 systems from them as well. It seems to be a lot of trouble to make fake boards just for instalation photos.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline CodeSmith

• Show only replies by CodeSmith
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2002, 03:06:13 AM »
If they want to be compatible with the A1 they might also be waiting for AOS4 to come out so they can ship with an OS.

This is way cool - first nothing for years and now all these next-gen amigas are coming out of the woodwork  :-D

Offline Crispy_Beef

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2002, 02:54:33 PM »
If they want to be compatible with the A1 they might also be waiting for AOS4 to come out so they can ship with an OS.

AFAIK Hyperion haven't had a Shark to test on, so until they get one I wouldn't hold your breath about OS4 on Shark.

I could however be completely wrong on this, so I accept no responsibility for a any flames that may result in this thread.  :-P
-- Crispy

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2002, 05:49:02 PM »
Just a quick note: DCE stuff is quality manufactured, and chances are their boards well last for years. The only reason that they have such a poor reputation is because their customer support is straight from hell. They will not answer e-mails, and if you send your board to them to get fixed, it could be literally years before it comes back. There's a good chance it might not ever.

Offline createcoms

• Show only replies by createcoms
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2002, 09:25:46 PM »
With a reputable repair place now, owning such a card shouldn't worry you too much!

Get it Get it Get it!!!!!

And then you can have OS4!!

Remember that the OS4 for these cards comes out b4 the A1 OS4 does.......

Offline Crispy_Beef

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2002, 12:21:50 PM »
@createcoms

I do agree it would be nice to have AOS4 first.  As mentioned above I have a CyberStormPPC in my 4000 ready.  But if I were in the position where I had to either buy the CSPPC or AmigaOne, I would go for the AmigaOne as it has a much better future and will be a lot better platform.

Which is why I guess I've ordered the AmigaOne :-)
-- Crispy