Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Micronik z3i busboard with onboard scsi  (Read 1862 times)

Description:

Offline Boot_WBTopic starter

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
Micronik z3i busboard with onboard scsi
« on: December 13, 2005, 04:12:37 PM »
I have recently got hold of one of these rarities, and am having a little trouble configuring it.  

Setup - OS3.9 with blizzard PPC/040:
Will see busboard, but not the SCSI

Setup - OS3.9 with blizzard 1230:
Will see busboard and the SCSI

I have tried all combinations of jumpers settings to try and get the damn thing to see the SCSI with the PPC attached, but it just isn't playing.

Furthermore the instructions are in German - my german is not bad, but I'm not certain I have understood it all.

There's a CSIII patch, which the readme (also in german) explains allows the busboard to work with CSPPC, mk3, mk2 (incl 040) and mk1 aswell as Blizzard PPC (with 060).
There is also a drawer of 'Powertools' which contains 2 tools - set60nsmode (fairly self explanatory, required when using 60ns mode in the PPC start menu) and rom2fast (again, fairly obvious, called in startup when using rom2fast in PPC start menu), and a libs drawer containing 68040new.library.

My hazy translation of the readme suggests one needs the 68040new.library in libs (although previously I thought this was only required when patching for 68060), the CSIII patch in wbstartup, and the rom2fast called in startup-sequence.

However, rom2fast causes my system to continually reboot (after taking a couple of minutes to think about it, and accessing the HDD for quite a while).

Have tried everything else, still does not see the 123scsi.device (which is the scsi bus of the micronik board).
Am now thinking there may be a conflict between rom patches applied by BPPC and Micronik, although how to solve is beyond me, short of trial-and-erroring old versions of the BPPC flashroms.

Oh, I tried disabling the (non-existent) BPPC scsi device just in case - no diff :-( .

Perhaps it is just incompatible: any ideas???  :-?
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline doctorq

• Show only replies by doctorq
Re: Micronik z3i busboard with onboard scsi
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 04:39:43 PM »
Since you claim to have disabled the BPPC SCSI device, I'm guessing you have MapROM enabled. Have you tried disabling MapROM completely to see if this makes a difference? If NCR SCSI Patch is on in the MapROM menu, it might shut down the SCSI controller of the busboard, but I'm not sure.

Offline AmiJIm

• Show only replies by AmiJIm
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 07:53:54 PM »
Hi there,
i was usnign a z3 bussboard wiht a Cyberstorm PPC with Scsi ,no problems after i had upgraded the z3 bus board to rev 6,8 the latest one.I remember i had a previous version , and i could not get it working with the Cyberstorm PPC.Micronik had replaced the z3 to the latest rev available at a cost,
it was a hardware prom.Nowadays i use the Cyberstorm with an A4000 and the z3 busboard with a 3640.
Also i bet you already use 3,1 roms.I remember when i had 3,0 roms and although i was using the blizrom program to flash the 3,1 roms into the cyberstorm ,i could not get the busboard work.Upgraded to 3,1 chips and voila...

Offline amiga1260

• Show only replies by amiga1260
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 08:37:53 PM »
I had seen your problem befor by a friend. He also have the same problems, but with a Blizzard 1260 and 4xEIDE'99 IDE controller.

The problem is the revision of your A1200 motherboard.

The best revision is 1D1. I have one of those today from a store.

If I disconnected the B1260, the board will work with IDE controller. The same when I disconnected the IDE controller.

Look for more info:

http://www.eyetech.co.uk/addbar.php?Address=/PRODUCT/PAMAC/AMIGA002.HTM

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 10:15:27 PM »
Hi, thanks for the suggestions:

@DoctorQ - tried disabling the maprom, still no scsi bus.  (btw - did you sell you Blizzard PPC?  If not, which revision is it? have you tried it with G-rex?)

@Amijim - I'm already using rev 6.8 with 3.1 roms, but trying to use the micronik board in zorro 2 mode with the Blizzard PPC (until I can afford a cyberstorm PPC and an A4000)

@Amiga1260 - I think I'm already using rev 1d4, but I'll double check. I'll check the link though, thanks.

sigh, still no SCSI  :-?

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 03:48:05 PM »
Hi, tried a rev 1b motherboard, pain in the @rs replacing the motherboard into the power tower, and still no scsi.  :-(  am giving up on it for christmas now I think.  Any more suggestions?

Offline AmiJIm

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 12:34:49 PM »
Hello there, after all these years i can confirm that i have a rev 1D4 a1200 with Amiga 3.1.4 roms running Amigaos 3.1.4.1 with a micronik z3 busboard rev 6,8 with a cyberstorm MK3 and a cybervision 64 3d with scandoubler.The Plextor scsi cd rom 32x is working well on ID 1 and all i had to do was to edit the included CD0 device for use with 123.device . I have set the busboard id to 7 by jumpering id 1 3 5  which equals 7.I will upload later today a benchmark test.Note that i use a scsi harddisk connected to the cyberstorm mk3 scsi chain on ID 0.

Offline AmiJIm

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 06:26:59 PM »
Here you can see cybppc scsi rated at almost 7mbsec ,the micronik scsi at 1,4mb sec and the onboard ide with a cf card at only half mb .