Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 30-pin SIMMS  (Read 1775 times)

Description:

Offline CyberusTopic starter

• Show only replies by Cyberus
30-pin SIMMS
« on: April 01, 2003, 12:44:34 AM »
I have a GVP a500HD+ SCSI controller, and want to populate the memory expansion slots with 8Mb. At first I thought I had to use the special GVP SIMMS, but now I realise that they just have to be the old standard 30-pin type. There seem to be four slots, so I assume I either have to put two 4Mb SIMMS in there or 4 2Mb SIMMS??? Any ideas?

Many thanks...
I like Amigas

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
Re: 30-pin SIMMS
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2003, 12:54:06 AM »
yes, i think youre right

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2003, 05:40:52 PM »
I have one of those too. The hd8+ takes up to 8Mb of ram, so if you can get hold of 4x2mb's it'll work fine :-)

Offline Jope

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2003, 05:56:53 PM »
There seem to be four slots, so I assume I either have to put two 4Mb SIMMS in there or 4 2Mb SIMMS?

Yep.

You can't mix SIMM sizes and if you use two 4MB SIMMs, you need to leave one empty socket between the modules.

Offline CyberusTopic starter

• Show only replies by Cyberus
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2003, 06:48:50 PM »
Thanks for your replies.

Can I use 1 8Mb SIMM?
I like Amigas

Offline z36ra

• Show only replies by z36ra
    • http://www.atomiccomputers.com
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2003, 01:56:47 AM »
It may actually depend on the SIMM you use. Amiga is a stout machine. Just try it and if it doesn't work then you will know from the fircrackers: the memory chips will explode but most likely everything else will be ok. I say that because  I installed a cache memchip backwards in a PC one time and it exploded... scared the crap out of me. I'm a ballsy kind of guy though. I DO it and if it works I found something out. I don't think you're gonna hurt anything in this case. No pops... no cracks... no nothin'.

Post a reply if it works. I would also like to know what memory you used.

On the 8M simm, Try it!

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2003, 05:33:23 AM »
Can I use 1 8Mb SIMM?

No, you'll need at least a pair.  Some machines can get away with using only a single 72pin SIMM, but as far as I know, all Amigas that use the 30 pin ones, need at least a pair.

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2003, 07:19:21 AM »
30 pins sims and the GVP card, ah the memories...

i belive it was one of the GVP cards that a supliment where you it gave instructions on how to indetify which revision of the card you had and under one of the revisions  was the phrase "...if you are the unfortunate owner of this card..."

i believe it was my GVP card that had an "issue" or maybe it was the DKB Rapid Fire II

Offline Desmon

• Show only replies by Desmon
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2003, 09:38:13 AM »
@Cyberus

I have a GVP a500HD+ SCSI controller, and want to populate the memory expansion slots with 8Mb. At first I thought I had to use the special GVP SIMMS, but now I realise that they just have to be the old standard 30-pin type. There seem to be four slots, so I assume I either have to put two 4Mb SIMMS in there or 4 2Mb SIMMS??? Any ideas?

Many thanks...
Check out this THIS where you'll find all the info on this toy.
Cache Ya,
Craig.

Busy playing with my Trainz and loving it!