Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Couldn't Open Device" during format  (Read 1477 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
"Couldn't Open Device" during format
« on: June 07, 2005, 11:02:48 AM »
I partitioned my new 1.x Gb Hd in HDTOOLs on my 1200, I had the partitions small, but now they are both about 800Mb. THe change is now that they are large, it will tell me at about 50% of the format, that it Couldn't Open Device DH0.

What is this all about? Verify said the drive was perfect.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Thomas

Re: "Couldn't Open Device" during format
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 07:13:32 PM »

Format does not attempt to open a DOS device. At least not when it is half the way through. This message must come from another program running in the background. Format sets the DOS drive into "busy" state, so if another program attempts to access the partition while Format is still running, it fails. This usually happens when you format the partition you booted from. Or perhaps you have a virus checker running which regularly checks the root block. The root block of FastFileSystem is in the middle of the partition.

What happens if you click on "cancel" or on "retry" ? Does Format stop working or does it continue ?

Bye,
Thomas

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Re: "Couldn't Open Device" during format
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 07:23:41 PM »
I'm booting off an un-modified OS 3.1 Install disk...

nothing is running in the back ground, and what about DOS?!?

I forgot to mention, it formats fine with a Quick Format.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs