Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PPC is bad bad bad  (Read 34280 times)

Description:

PPC is bad bad bad
« on: May 03, 2002, 01:30:53 PM »
In my opinon the ONLY way amiga will be able to do anything....i mean "ANYTHING" relavent is to get rid of this idea that PPC is the best thing ever...
As it stands right now! PPC G4's at 1ghz are much much slower then the AMD/Intel offerings wich are also CHEAPER/More generic/Have more apps(thus possible ports)
If amiga intends of bieng PPC proprietary and platform spacific its going to be another lump on the wall to laugh at....
its taken litterly years to get even a hint of a new motherboard in site....if all the resources that had been allocated for that where allocated toward an X86 OS it would have been done and i would be writeing this article on it right now...some people sit and scream that because Amithlon boots without a hostOS it is in effect an x86 OS of amiga.....wich i believe is total garbage...
Aros and other projects need to be taken more seriousely or im afraid not even the current community is going to get the new amigas let alone new people....chargeing 500$ for an obselete motherboad with an obselete embedded G3 at 500mhz isnt the wave of the future....anyone who deals with reality can see PPC is expensive and proprietary and on its way out the door...and X86-64 or even current X86 is here to stay for a long time'

If you took a x86 motherboard gave it custom bios and made an AmigaOS for it...and charged a rational price i'd buy it....
i wont buy some obselete G3 for insane prices... and i think alot of people can agree with me here...

sorry if this sounds like a flame...but it's getting a little late in the day to think amiga so strong that it needs its own special hardware to be viable...

Offline ikir

• Show only replies by ikir
    • http://www.ikirsector.it
Re: PPC is bad bad bad
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2002, 01:33:33 PM »
Mnnnn.. I don't think so!!!!

I want my SHARK ppc G4, and i want it now!!!
I'll tell you if it are slow...
 :-D

Offline Coder

• Show only replies by Coder
    • http://www.amiga.nl
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2002, 01:34:42 PM »
Hi,

OS4 on X86, over my dead body! :-D

But you you are entitled to your opinion. As you said, more people think like you but there are also a lot that adore PPC. Like me. And so what if I have to pay a bit more for PPC hardware.

Coder
Check it out - I found the ass-end!

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2002, 01:40:39 PM »
Why is ppc so bad and why r people like u so obbsesed with mhz.  My old 030/50 could do things that my P200 mmx could just about do.

U cant rate a processor just on speed.  The 060 is.was a much better chip than a x86 will ever be.

And with the 68k code being run natively on a ppc we can expect at least 300mhz 060.  I would like to see a x86 300mhz even touch a 300 mhz 060

The dsign of 68k and ppc is of a much better qualty than the bug riden intel chips.

u people stop harping on about how dead amiga is and how we will never get anywhere again.

If u want an x86 AOS just wait for OS5.

:-x
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Eer0

• Show only replies by Eer0
    • http://www.wolfclaw.nu
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2002, 01:48:11 PM »
Well, I agree why not x86?
it's fast it's cheap...
And why compare an old cpu like 030 to an old x86 ~300mhz ?

Why not think how fast Aos would be on a AMD XP 1900 for instance
that cpu is a hell of a lot cheaper than any turbo ppc cards out there today.
infact you get a good pc for the same amount of money.. with a good monitor

Well, just my opinion =)

(im on of thoose who think the OS is Amiga not the h/w)
It\\\'s not my problem that you read what I am typing and not understand what I am meaning.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2002, 02:01:58 PM »
Indeed the main advantage of amiga is the OS, but the SO wouldnt be what it is today if it wasn't for the HW.

What is the point of having a cpu that can run at 2ghz, when everything else on the mobo, i.e the data bus, the ram, the pci slots, basically everythign else, cant run at anywhere near that speed?

Greta the cpu can process all that data so quickly and then has got nowhere to put it.

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Offline Alkemyst

• Show only replies by Alkemyst
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2002, 02:08:16 PM »
(im on of thoose who think the OS is Amiga not the h/w)

wrong as Amiga IS HW

& AmigaOs is SW
PowerTower A1200,060/80Mhz,Heatsink&Fan,66MBRam,PowerFlyerGold,50xCDRomdrive,250Zip,2.1GB&34GB HD,internal Scandoubler & FF,19\\"Monitor,Mediator,Voodoo3-3000,PaceSolo 56k ,PortJnr2,ZEKeys-XS,SMON ,Os3.9

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2002, 02:08:48 PM »
The main point is, Amiga make the best OS in the world (IMHO) and most of the ap[plication software and games have always pushed the HW to the limit and done some amazing stuff.

If Amiga brought this to the x86 market, would they be helpling themsleves , no, would they be able to rake on micro$oft, er no.

So basically if u want a proper OS that is bloatfree and runs fast, u have to but Amiga Hardware.

Whats the problem. Do u want to be able to run windoze on a mac/amiga/ps2, er no again .

So should people stop making IBM clones and say, right windowz wil lrun on anyhting.   :-?  :-?  :-?  :-?  :-?  :-?  :-?  :-?  :-?  :-?  :-?  :-?  :-?

[ Edited by JJ on 2002/5/3 12:11:05 ]

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2002, 02:14:32 PM »
PPC is good good good!!

As it stands right now! PPC G4's at 1ghz are much much slower then the AMD/Intel offerings wich are also CHEAPER/More generic/Have more apps(thus possible ports)

Buy an X86 box and run Amithlon if you like. That's probably as close as you will ever see to an X86 AmigaOS. You will see the pros and cons of AmigaOS on X86. Fast cheap hardware, but finding compatible hardware is a skull-f***.

If amiga intends of bieng PPC proprietary and platform spacific its going to be another lump on the wall to laugh at....

hahahahaha now that's funny!! Wrong, but funny!

Aros and other projects need to be taken more seriousely or im afraid not even the current community is going to get the new amigas let alone new people

Aros is a neat project that will be approaching usable to an end user in ~2005-2006 with OS3.1 functionality. I will have my new PPC Amiga ~May 17 2002.

chargeing 500$ for an obselete motherboad with an obselete embedded G3 at 500mhz isnt the wave of the future

Who's getting a G3 at 500Mhz? I'm getting a G3 at 600Mhz thank you :-P And this is the FIRST NEW AMIGA MB IN 8 YEARS! The next run of MBs will offer faster speeds and a socketed option. I will buy the socketed version also when available thank you.

anyone who deals with reality can see PPC is expensive and proprietary and on its way out the door..

Funny how much money Apple is making with PPC machines if that was reality. Proprietary? *NO* But I am starting to see your problem, it doesn't run Windows. So in your mind it is proprietary.

and X86-64 or even current X86 is here to stay for a long time'

That's also funny! Who designed the original X86 hardware? The original IBM PC who everyone has been cloning ever since? I.B.M. did.
Facts:
1) IBM stated 3 years ago that the 'PC' platform it invented was outdated and dead.
2) IBM is heavily investing in PPC and has their own line of PPC products and free reference POP designs.

If you took a x86 motherboard gave it custom bios and made an AmigaOS for it...and charged a rational price i'd buy it....

Buy AmigaOS-XL(Amithlon) and very VERY closely make sure you get EXACT supported hardware. Just make sure you don't pirate Amithlon, Bernie deserves support.

sorry if this sounds like a flame...but it's getting a little late in the day to think amiga so strong that it needs its own special hardware to be viable...

We'll it is a borderline flame insinuating that anyone who wants PPC is stupid, but otherwise you are entitled to your opinion. I do however completely disagree.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline CD32Freak

• Show only replies by CD32Freak
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2002, 02:24:09 PM »
It will not be a G3 at 500 Mhz, but 600 Mhz. I don't know if you are an Amiga user from the good old  days, but I think you're not. Otherwise you would know that processor speed is just marketing talk created by Intel/AMD etc. and the underlying OS that runs on a motherboard is much more important. We know what you can achieve with only a 7 Mhz 68000 processor, imagine how Amiga OS 4 would run with 700 Mhz! I know, having a custom chip like Fat Agnus helped a lot, but now we are able to use an even fatter Agnus (well, sort of) created by ATI..lol  :-P

[ Edited by CD32Freak on 2002/5/3 13:26:47 ]

Offline dapsycho

• Show only replies by dapsycho
    • http://www.gamesxtreme.net/
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2002, 02:57:52 PM »
PPC is NOT bad. Only PC people ever think in Mhz because M$ Windoze is so $#@! they need as fast a CPU as possible to make it work right.

OS3.9 loads faster than Windows no matter what you have in the startup-sequence and what programs are loading at startup, even with a ton of hacks it loads within seconds. Windows does not load within seconds even after a fresh install.

Windows needs tons of Mhz, OS4 needs any cpu at any speed.
dapsycho
==========================
http://www.gamesxtreme.net | forums.gamesxtreme.net

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2002, 03:01:10 PM »
Windows needs tons of Mhz, OS4 needs any cpu at any speed.

Absolutely! Navigating around workbench on my 060/66 OS3.9 Amiga was faaaaaaaaaast. I can only imagine how fast OS4.0 will be on my AmigaOne that is much more than 10 times faster!
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline Turrican

• Show only replies by Turrican
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2002, 03:17:34 PM »
Ehm am I the only one here that remebers the word AROS ???

Yiap x86 OpenSource Amiga combatible OS with potential far beyond what the official Amiga OS will ever have.

Ofcourse it is not from the official Amiga Inc. so it must be illegal that too (like MorphOS) eh?

Offline jumpship

• Show only replies by jumpship
    • http://onlyamiga.kicks-ass.net
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2002, 03:18:28 PM »
CD32Freak said that processor speed is marketing by Intel/AMD, but AMD have themselves dropped the GHz if thier line of Athlon's now. The dastest 2000+ is only about 1.6GHz but runs circles around the P4 2GHz (For the most part P4 is better in somethings)

But for a CPU running 400MHz slower the AMD does well.

Just something I thought about!

Offline roadrunner

• Show only replies by roadrunner
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2002, 03:21:17 PM »
I have an idea of how much faster it will be.
try running quake timedemo on your 060 then I can tell you that the same timedemo on an old ibook se466 runs at about 38fps. this is with the same amount of gfx ram and bus speed as my csppc. with cvppc.
Also a quake 2 time demo on the same Mac runs at about 35 fps when it only runs at 17 fps on my PIII 800 laptop with exactly the same gfx hardware harddrive and the same amount of ram and a processor that SUPPOSED to be so  much quicker.
 On the  x86 Amiga os subject, has anyone seen the latest version of BeOS being sold at a large PC shop recently, I guess not, because it's been squashed by M$, how long do you think Amiga OS will last in the same ball park?