Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Did we all just witness Windows start to die?  (Read 10917 times)

Description:

Offline James2002

• Show all replies
Re: Did we all just witness Windows start to die?
« on: July 23, 2013, 11:38:49 PM »
Windows 7 in my view is the best Microsoft offered to the consumers.

Windows 8 a failure. Yes because I have to install third party software just to get a start button on my laptop computer. Trying to support computers, laptops, cellphones, and tablets using the same operation system. To me users need to be able to get their work done fast. Gamers like myself want compatibility. I have a game rollercoaster tycoon. It does work on windows 8 but it so small that you cant see it. (yes I have install on Linux) I miss the old days where games just worked as long as you had hard-drive space. Yes I hate change because I don't like learning where everything is all over again.

I don't think the pc market will die. I still build my own. I use Linux on my desktop computers. True it want be as strong as the tablet and phone market. If I were a gaming company I would be going for tablet and phone market.

Offline James2002

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 03:18:25 AM »
Quote from: ashtontrist;741972
I dont think Windows is dying. However a lot of things need to be changed. For example if you have used all OS from XP to Win8, You will find there isnt much difference anywhere. So it really that upgraded. In Win8 the only feature they have added is that the welcome page looks somewhat like a android mobile..

I kinda disagree.(I have used a lot of operation systems from Microsoft. Gmenu, windows 2.11, windows 3.11, windows 95, windows 98 and SE, windows Xp, windows me, Windows 2000, windows vista, windows 7 and windows 8. I do see some differences. Mostly how you do things to get things done.)  If the gaming industry does not support windows 8 that does say a lot. I have not seen  many new games come to windows 8.

I do believe that Microsoft needs to  reconsider the path they are going. If they going to compete with apple they need to change their game plan. People want things to work out of the box.

I don't like the cloud nonsense that going into the industry. That just asking for security leaks. Even If you use passwords with $^#$@ it wont protect you from people stealing your info.

Offline James2002

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 07:02:47 AM »
Quote from: Duce;742118
All Windows 7 games run on Windows 8 without issue, for the most part.  I've not yet hit one that does not, and I purchase 5-6 a month.  The claim that game manufacturers do not support Windows 8 is horseplop unless your version of "supporting Windows 8" is a giant sticker on the box that SAYS "FOR WINDOWS EIGHT!!!!11!!".
It doesn't really need to be stated.  Windows 8 has a full desktop GUI that really is not terribly different than Windows 7, and around here, most of the W8 detractors are guys that will openly admit they have never even tried it :)

I disagree with you Duce. I take my experience. I have used windows 8. I hate it.  I would not even  upgrade my parent's business computer to windows 8.

1. one game I had to change it to windows xp sp3 for compatibility. The game would lag very bad. It was slow before I fix it.
2. one game I had it was so tiny that you could not see it.
3. Windows 8 in 1 year become slow on the desktop. It was taking long time to load up.  (Sandybridge I3 3.30ghz  12Gb of Ram)
4. I am not going to spend hours figuring out how to trouble shoot compatibility for games.
 5. Every session of w8 the video driver would crash. There was no new driver for it.
6. Defragment was a fail.  
7. Windows 8 is the new Windows Me

Tile everything that junk. It not really windows it just a touch screen  thing for useless traditional desktop interface.  I am not going to spend 400-1000 dollars for touch-screen monitor. Pretty much the operation system is brand new.

Most of the W8 detractors knows that it not worth the money. Nor is it worth the time. You have to relearn how to use windows unless your person like me. I got a free third party application that adds an start menu button to it. All the applications are on the list.  It made my life easier.

Offline James2002

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 06:41:34 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;742135
What OS were you moving from? Win98?
And "in 1 year" means you had to be running an early beta/pre-release?  Not something to base a final opinion on.
What is this defragment thing you talk of?
Windows ME was a totally different architecture?
How is the video driver problem the pre-release OSs fault? I hope you're as understanding when it comes to Linux and video drivers.

There are many things that piss me off in Windows 8, but nothing you've listed.  
AFAIC the experience of the new start screen, IE10 on it, and touch make it the best touch OS I've ever used.  Though I have to admit I haven't used android tablets to any depth, but if they're anything like the phones I don't think I want to, also from what I remember when helping to set one (a Tablet) up for my cousin. Yucky.

I did test in beta. I used the final version when it come out to.  Microsoft didn't listen to the beta testers. I don’t really consider Windows 8 a Windows product. It different in nature then previous versions. (No I did not move from windows 98. I  have used a lot of operating systems from microsoft.)
windows 95 and up use defragment to organize the computer files and folder. It makes it faster.

Older video cards does crash on windows 8. It made no difference if I used AMD or Nvidia graphic card. If you use Intel CPU/graphic it works fine.

Windows me in my book is worse operation system created by Microsoft. It was not stable.  It was released before Windows 2000. Windows Vista is the second. Windows 8 is the third.

Get rid of touch. How many people on the market own a touch screen lcd? Very few people do.  Touch screen are over priced.

Even windows 8 tablets are over priced. The prices went down. I believe the price will go down further.

Linux drivers as long as you use the driver from Linux kernel your fine. The other drivers  are not tested.  They state they are. Steal a line from someone else. Yeah they tested, just it didn't work for them either. You have to consider that some Linux distros have more support for wifi then others.

I hate cellphones and tablets. To me they just another item to lose. I already have enough trouble keeping  track of items.