Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS 3.14 and a new web browser released  (Read 5054 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_H

Re: MorphOS 3.14 and a new web browser released
« on: October 14, 2020, 04:52:30 AM »
Exec-level TLS support is a fascinating and unexpected development. Curious to see what that will open up in the future.

Speaking of curiosity, was there a reason Odyssey couldn't be updated with a newer WebKit? I would have thought that would be easier than building a new browser from scratch. Or is Wayfarer basically the same as Odyssey with a new name and engine? Honest questions - not trying to be provocative. :)

I'm not near my MorphOS machine at the moment, but I'm looking forward to trying this out when I am. Thanks as always!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 04:53:10 AM by Matt_H »

Offline Matt_H

Re: MorphOS 3.14 and a new web browser released
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 08:00:18 PM »
Close, it's thread local storage.  8)

Ah yes, yes, thread local storage. Good ol' thread local storage... I, uh, have no idea what that means. :) But I suppose my point stands: will be interesting to see what possibilities this opens up in the future.

I don't know technical details that well, but yes, Odyssey was a dead-end for newer WebKits and AFAIK it wasn't reasonable to try to update it even with all these improvements in the OS, which made it possible to port a newer WebKit in the first place.

There's nothing from the old browsers in Wayfarer and it's been completely written from scratch. Support added to the OS and browser written in ObjectiveC from scratch makes it easier to keep updated in the future too.

BTW. Wayfarer has already updated to version 1.2 now, see the change log here.
Interesting. I had been wondering why development on OWB seemed to have stalled. I guess this project explains it. I look forward to trying it out!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 08:01:27 PM by Matt_H »