Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Research In Motion to Acquire QNX Software Systems  (Read 2384 times)

Description:

Offline redrumloaTopic starter

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
Research In Motion to Acquire QNX Software Systems
« on: September 24, 2010, 12:01:44 PM »
Research In Motion to Acquire QNX Software Systems from Harman International.

STAMFORD, CONNECTICUT and WATERLOO, ONTARIO — Harman International (NYSE:HAR - News) and Research In Motion (RIM) (NASDAQ:RIMM - News)(TSX:RIM - News) announced today that the two companies have reached an agreement for RIM to acquire QNX Software Systems. The deal is subject to regulatory approval and is anticipated to close within 35-45 days. This strategic move is expected to further strengthen QNX penetration in the automotive market and foster innovation for markets served by all parties.
"RIM is excited about the planned acquisition of QNX Software Systems and we look forward to ongoing collaboration between Harman, QNX and RIM to further integrate and enhance the user experience between smartphones and in-vehicle audio and infotainment systems," said Mike Lazaridis, President and Co-CEO at RIM. "In addition to our interests in expanding the opportunities for QNX in the automotive sector and other markets, we believe the planned acquisition of QNX will also bring other value to RIM in terms of supporting certain unannounced product plans for intelligent peripherals, adding valuable intellectual property to RIM's portfolio and providing long-term synergies for the companies based on the significant and complementary OS expertise that exists within the RIM and QNX teams today."
"We welcome the opportunities that a strengthened relationship with RIM will create, as two innovation leaders collaborate to bring new connectivity solutions to the industry," said Dinesh C. Paliwal, Harman's Chairman, President and CEO. "We expect to maintain our close association with QNX and the cutting-edge software solutions it provides to Harman and our customers. We believe our leading customers will fully endorse this move and see it as a major step in advancing seamless connectivity and integration among intelligent devices."
"Like Harman, RIM shares our passion for innovation and reliability, so we are absolutely thrilled with this opportunity," said Dan Dodge, CEO, QNX Software Systems. "Moreover, RIM will give us the best of all possible mandates: to continue on our innovation path and to increase investment in our core products, professional services, and go-to-market channels. This is a great time to be a QNX customer, as we focus on collaborating with RIM to create an even more exciting platform for the next generation of connected and embedded devices."

I did a search of Amiga.org and got zero hits for qnx:confused: I guess this wasn't reported here, yet it is several months old. For the youngsters here who may not know the Amiga history of the mid to late 90's, QNX was partnered with Amiga Inc during the Gateway ownership days to provide the next generation Amiga operating system. Towards the end of Gateway's ownership of Amiga, they shifted directions and announced going with a Linux kernal. QNX countered with screenshots of a working OS with an obvious Amiga theme. It makes you wonder what might have been...
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
Re: Research In Motion to Acquire QNX Software Systems
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 01:47:34 PM »
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 01:54:07 PM »
This was announced on /. back on April 9th.  Fleecy accused Dan Dodge (think that was his name) of trying to back stabbed AI.  Fleecy, the highly professional CTO, did this on Team Amiga's mailing list.  It was the best thing that ever happen to QSSL to seperate from AI.  I'm glad to see the very impressive Neutrino (and I guess the GUI which is called what, Photon?) to see the light of day on retail hardware.  Oh, what could have been, what could have been...
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline hardlink

• Show only replies by hardlink
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 03:35:07 PM »
Quote from: dammy;580984
This was announced on /. back on April 9th.  Fleecy ...

I didn't realize Tao Group was long gone too - so much for the follow on to QNX/Amiga. The Tao Group wikipedia page does not even mention Amiga; looks like an authoring opportunity for someone :)

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 03:55:37 PM »
Tao Group lives on as Antix.

Quote from: hardlink;580997
I didn't realize Tao Group was long gone too - so much for the follow on to QNX/Amiga. The Tao Group wikipedia page does not even mention Amiga; looks like an authoring opportunity for someone :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline kolla

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 04:41:39 PM »
I really tried hard to use neutrino as a main operating system for a year or so, but gave up as its development pace simply was waaaay to slow. Also they got stuck on porting gtk apps instead of developing apps for Photon. GTK apps could not utilize the cool features of Photon, and also did not work as well as on X11, so it all just sucked.

From watching various videos on youtube, not much seems to have changed the last 8-9 years :p
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline mongo

• Show only replies by mongo
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 11:46:02 PM »
Neutrino was never intended to be a desktop OS.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 06:28:36 AM »
Quote from: kolla;581018
I really tried hard to use neutrino as a main operating system for a year or so, but gave up as its development pace simply was waaaay to slow. Also they got stuck on porting gtk apps instead of developing apps for Photon. GTK apps could not utilize the cool features of Photon, and also did not work as well as on X11, so it all just sucked.

From watching various videos on youtube, not much seems to have changed the last 8-9 years :p

I don't think QSSL had any interest in desktop level after their dealings with AI.  Then they were bought out which probably ended any new photon development.  I think we may see new development on Photon if BlackPad proves to be a money maker.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 06:56:04 AM »
Interesting news.

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 12:42:08 AM »
Quote from: persia;581004
Tao Group lives on as Antix.

Thanks persia, I'll have a read. I liked the Tao concept and owned the SDK, I hope that things work out for them.
I liked QNX too, it's a shame that being a popular OS is so hard to do. MS bloatware monopoly just chokes the hardware way too much. I'll watch with interest....
...popcorn time I think.
Falling into a dark and red rage.