Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: FS: The AmigaMini A Dedicated UAE Box  (Read 3636 times)

Description:

Offline c64manTopic starter

• Show only replies by c64man
FS: The AmigaMini A Dedicated UAE Box
« on: September 16, 2014, 08:20:46 PM »
About a month and a half ago I designed and built the AmigaMini a Dedicated UAE Box out of an HP t5735 Thin client.  They have been very successful,  and I am building more as we speak.   I have 2 ready to sh right now.  

Here is a youtube demo of the system
http://youtu.be/EorrcWZpnKY

Specs are as follows
 HP T5735 Thin Client
1GB RAM, 1GB ATA Flash Disk, Holds Windows Embedded
16GB flash disk,  Holds UAE and all other relevant files
8GB USB Flash Drive that mounts in workbench for easy file transfer.
Over 1000 WHDLoad Games come preinstalled on the 16GB flash drive, Along with 500 Demos.  WHDLoad License not included,  you must purchase your own.  

Comes with ClassicWB 3.1 UAE installed and the system boots into  Amiga Workbench 3.1,  The cool part is it has Picasso emulation,  so you  get 32bit color at 1280×1024,  Looks great.  Boots right into Workbench  3.1 as soon as the system powers up.   You can also configure UAE by  just hitting the F12 button.

Internet access also works by just plugging it in to your ethernet network

$100 shipped in the USA
$150 shipped Internationally.

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
Re: FS: The AmigaMini A Dedicated UAE Box
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 11:48:16 PM »
I have a bunch of T5735s also but for other uses, you can without problems replace the Sempron 2100+ (1GHz S1G1) CPU with a Sempron 3700+ (2GHz) without heat issues, I have done that in a few of them, also soldered another so-dim slot on the empty space for one for a extra ram stick, tho not really worth the work since you need to source double height slots since it will overlap the other.

If you want a bigger CPU then the 3700+ you have to update the microcode for the BIOS, easiest way is to just burn a new EPROM.

Also there is no problems at all to install Windows XP on the machine (tho using nlite you can get a really small footprint windows xp), Drivers are easy enough to find, just read what chips it got, the nic can be hard to read tho but if needed I got the correct drivers.

Also I use CF, DOM's or real 2,5" HDD's in my systems tho 2,5" HDD's requires you to make a hole for the flat cable and mount it on the outside.

I bought a big bunch of em for less then 30$ each.

Good luck selling, the price feels a bit on the steep end for what you get, it's a cute little machine but the 1GHz low power CPU in the system is a bit on the slow end, upgrade to the 1.8GHz or 2GHz CPU does a lot and cost of em are not bad at all.

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 07:44:49 AM »
Nice. Will you be able to get UAE with PPC running as well?

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 02:26:02 PM »
Quote from: yssing;773216
Nice. Will you be able to get UAE with PPC running as well?

Yup when the new version comes out just pop out the flash stick drop on the new winuae and itll launch automatically at boot.  You will be able to configure it by hitting f12

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 03:21:44 PM »
If I was interested in purchasing one of these, can I be assured that the back end intellectual property has properly been paid for?

UAE is free.  The ROM's and adf's are not, nor are the thousands of games you are including.

I find these machines in dumpsters at work.  I don't mean to be snarky, but making $150+ a pop off thinclients, I do need to ask if the proper rights holders are getting their cut, especially for things like the ROM's and ADF's.

You do have the proper licenses for the included software, right?

Offline spaceman88

• Show only replies by spaceman88
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 04:01:42 PM »
Quote from: Duce;773235
If I was interested in purchasing one of these, can I be assured that the back end intellectual property has properly been paid for?

UAE is free.  The ROM's and adf's are not, nor are the thousands of games you are including.

I find these machines in dumpsters at work.  I don't mean to be snarky, but making $150+ a pop off thinclients, I do need to ask if the proper rights holders are getting their cut, especially for things like the ROM's and ADF's.

Well, as he said you have to pay for WHDload, as for the games, there are very few that you can buy as they have been abandoned years (if not decades) ago.

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 04:29:26 PM »
Quote from: Duce;773235

First of all I barely break even on these.  By the time I purchase the thin client,  upgrade the ram and internal flash memory.  As far as the roms are concerned,  they are freely available anywhere on the internet,  all you have to do is look.    My profit margin is minimal on these like I said I barely break even.  

I sold quite a few of these at the last commodore convention last week.  I designed this box to be convenient.  An easy way for most peeps to play with an amiga without expense of finding a real one. Or go through the trouble of setting up a UAE environment.    Amiga's are hard to find in the USA.  When they do pop up they are expensive

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 04:32:50 PM »
Quote from: spaceman88;773238
Well, as he said you have to pay for WHDload, as for the games, there are very few that you can buy as they have been abandoned years (if not decades) ago.

I think he was asking about the Kickstart ROMs (perhaps relicensable from Cloanto, or maybe KS3.1 from Hyperion. Then, if running AmigaOS, again maybe relicensed from Cloanto or OS3.1 from Hyperion. Maybe just include a copy of Amiga Forever with each package for the Kickstarts and the OS?
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 04:54:17 PM »
Quote from: billt;773241
Maybe just include a copy of Amiga Forever with each package for the Kickstarts and the OS?

As BillT said in the above quote, that should take care of any problems (apart from any games installed that have not been released for free).

I think the machine is a nice idea for Amiga fans and adding a few dollars to include an Amiga Forever CD that you have pre-installed on the system for them shouldn't put anyone off.  Send Cloanto an email.  They might have some cut-price "OEM" CDs they could sell you.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 05:56:33 PM »
I apologize if I was somewhat accusatory, but you are selling the things with value adds like WB/KS installed, as well as a whole slug of games.  The ROM's and KS images are still "pay for" items that cannot just be handed out like they were an open source Linux distro.

Just because the ROM images and KS disks are freely available on TPB or somewhere, it doesn't make them freely distributable nor legal to just install on hardware without paying the proper licensing fees to the rights holders.

Me, I've paid for the KS and ROM images 5 times over, including the AF and OS4 supplied images I have, as well as 5 sets of disks spanning 20 years that likely cannot even be read anymore.  I wouldn't hesitate (and haven't hesitated) to grab KS/WB images off a torrent site when I've needed them, but it's worth asking a seller if the OS software they are including on products isn't just pirated.  Some people are indeed sticky about things like that, none more likely so than people like Cloanto.  Old software or not, there's still companies paying licensing fees so they can sell it in their products (eg; Amiga Forever).  I just worry about the legality of a well intentioned fellow "including" non licensed software in their offerings, and eBay wouldn't blink twice before shutting down a seller if a rights holder filed a complaint, and that would stink.  Include a cheap base level copy of AF and you'd have absolutely zero issues, imo.  It's $10 retail, and could likely be had for half that if you bought copies in even small bulk amounts.

Nothing personal, man.  I wish you the best on your sales.  Your prices are fair for what you are offering and I have no doubts you'll sell many of them to people that simply don't care to noodle around with WinUAE at all.  But I gotta ask the same thing I ask when I buy a new or used Windows PC that has an OS installed, and that question is always "this is a legal copy of the OS, right?"  As a buyer, I'd likely have concerns if the answer was "no" or there simply wasn't an answer provided at all.  Software not licensed/paid for is piracy, even as redundant as it gets with 20 year old SW.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 06:01:13 PM by Duce »

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 06:40:30 PM »
Quote from: Duce;773248
I apologize if I was somewhat accusatory, but you are selling the things with value adds like WB/KS installed, as well as a whole slug of games.  The ROM's and KS images are still "pay for" items that cannot just be handed out like they were an open source Linux distro.

Just because the ROM images and KS disks are freely available on TPB or somewhere, it doesn't make them freely distributable nor legal to just install on hardware without paying the proper licensing fees to the rights holders.

Me, I've paid for the KS and ROM images 5 times over, including the AF and OS4 supplied images I have, as well as 5 sets of disks spanning 20 years that likely cannot even be read anymore.  I wouldn't hesitate (and haven't hesitated) to grab KS/WB images off a torrent site when I've needed them, but it's worth asking a seller if the OS software they are including on products isn't just pirated.  Some people are indeed sticky about things like that, none more likely so than people like Cloanto.  Old software or not, there's still companies paying licensing fees so they can sell it in their products (eg; Amiga Forever).  I just worry about the legality of a well intentioned fellow "including" non licensed software in their offerings, and eBay wouldn't blink twice before shutting down a seller if a rights holder filed a complaint, and that would stink.  Include a cheap base level copy of AF and you'd have absolutely zero issues, imo.  It's $10 retail, and could likely be had for half that if you bought copies in even small bulk amounts.

Nothing personal, man.  I wish you the best on your sales.  Your prices are fair for what you are offering and I have no doubts you'll sell many of them to people that simply don't care to noodle around with WinUAE at all.  But I gotta ask the same thing I ask when I buy a new or used Windows PC that has an OS installed, and that question is always "this is a legal copy of the OS, right?"  As a buyer, I'd likely have concerns if the answer was "no" or there simply wasn't an answer provided at all.  Software not licensed/paid for is piracy, even as redundant as it gets with 20 year old SW.

Thanks,  Im going to be including a copy of Amiga Forever with each one now to take care of the ROM/Licensing issues.    As far as XP goes,  each thin client has a COA for XPe on the system,  I just download it from HP and reflash the units since they come wiped.  Ive since developed a clonezilla method in which a unit is imaged from the network to save time.  

Im about to build another 5 and ill be including a legitimate AmigaForever ISO with each system.  And including it with the systems with my stock that I have now

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 07:53:45 PM »
How is the performance when for example, playing demanding aga games like super stardust aga? In my own attempts, I think you really need 2.5 or 3.0 ghz to give good performance for these things...

Maybe you tweak them better than me, I'm not sure. If so, please share what your doing to increase performance and make these things run smoother?

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 08:21:18 PM »
If anyone dont like the sale dont critique... now all people is 100% legal on the amiga world or computer world... dont make me laught please.
a1200 060

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 08:54:49 PM »
I wonder if 50 years from now, people will still be crying about "copyrighted software" on this board?  I should do a google search and see if I can find any pirated PDP-8 software from the 1960s, haha.  ;)

Oh well, good luck with your sales, and for doing what it takes to make the copyright police happy!  :)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 09:11:36 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;773254
How is the performance when for example, playing demanding aga games like super stardust aga? In my own attempts, I think you really need 2.5 or 3.0 ghz to give good performance for these things...

Maybe you tweak them better than me, I'm not sure. If so, please share what your doing to increase performance and make these things run smoother?

XP Embedded is a very low footprint operating system,  by disabling alot of unneeded system services and replacing the windows shell with WinUAE you free up a ton of resources.  We played AGA games Including SuperStardust AGA at the Commodore show on them,  and they ran flawlessly.