Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Diet time  (Read 5396 times)

Description:

Offline Wain

• Show only replies by Wain
Re: Diet time
« Reply #44 from previous page: February 17, 2004, 02:39:41 AM »
Okay, so before anybody reads this thread and goes way overboard from looking at the advice people on here have posted about cutting out certain things, or severely restricting others, just remember that any nutritionist or doctor worth his salt will tell you that MODERATION in the key.  

No, this does not mean in order to eat a balanced meal, you should start adding a salad to your 12oz. steak. :-D

There's nothing wrong with a little glucose as long as you keep it in moderation with everything else.

Now, what all of the carb-this and that- people on here are actually talking about is a foods glycemic index

Glycemic Index of Foods

Different foods are rated as having different glycemic levels in comparison to glucose (which has been given an arbitrary value of 100).  The lower the value, the more time it takes for a given set of carbs to digest.

Ever eaten a meal that was really starch based (pasta, potatoes, etc...) and then gotten really tired a little after? (my friends call this state 'food coma')  It's because you're eating food with a really high glycemic level which is being digested VERY fast, and making your blood sugar shoot up, which in turn is making your pancreas overtax itself making insulin, the result is you get sleepy soon after.

Basic point is, food with a low GI level will leave you fuller longer, and you won't need to eat again quite so quickly, plus it's less taxing on your system.  It's the only way to reduce your calorie intake and not be STARVING at the same time.

This does NOT mean you should try to cut carbs out of your system, a little bread every day won't kill you, just remember that it's not much of a staple compared to what you might put on your sandwich, so don't count on it to fill you.

One thing you can also do with pasta is to prepare it al dente(not cooked as much, chewy), it isn't a cure all, but it does raise the GI level a bit compared to the way pasta is typically prepared in america anyway.
Professional Expatriate

Offline Wain

• Show only replies by Wain
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2004, 02:49:37 AM »
it's NOT fruit that will make you fat, it's the EMPTY CARBS in Crap food! and booze.

fruit has anitoxidants that help heal the body. also, you just can't overeat fruit. i mean, fast food is easy to overeat because it doesn't satisfy the bodies nutritional needs. but fruit does.

Actually most fruits are not good for you in large servings, there is WAY too much sugar in them, and many fruits will leave you hungry in a relatively short amount of time.  Better to stick with leafy greens(spinach, collard greens, mustard greens, etc...NOT LETTUCE!!!!!) and other vegetables(mushrooms, carrots, bell peppers(any color)), and only have a little bit of fruit, or keep the fruit reserved for snacks.

The fruitarian diet is extraordinarily unhealthy, because fruit doesn't actually have very much of the different kinds of nutritional stuff we need in it, it just so happens that what it does have, it tends to have in abundance.

Apples with the skin are a GREAT source of fiber however, also vitamin C (and A I think, don't remember).

Also when dieting or exercising to lose weight, you should avoid fruit juice at all costs.  MUCH better to drink water.
Professional Expatriate

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2004, 03:11:14 AM »
There seems to be a revival of the war-time rations diet here.
Er, it's similar to the Dole diet (social security).

If you can't find or afford food, then I'm sure that you just shed the pounds...

Handy tips here:
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/children/story/0,12816,1115828,00.html
 :-)

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2004, 12:32:57 PM »
@adz

Good luck with your diet. I would personally recomend you reconsider your low fat approach, and go low card aka Atkins.

Worked for me, 57 pounds are gone. Never went hungry, ate like a king.

HERE is a great resource. I'd recomend you read Atkins book first if you consider it.

Good luck!
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2004, 12:46:01 PM »
@Red
Yep! That works fine. However, one should be careful so that your body doesn't take damage, and you shouldn't give the body a shock by cutting the carbs without a ramp-down.
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2004, 12:52:24 PM »

whabang wrote:
@Red
Yep! That works fine. However, one should be careful so that your body doesn't take damage, and you shouldn't give the body a shock by cutting the carbs without a ramp-down.

If someone's in good health, the low carb induction crash is probably a good thing. I'm not a doctor though, and all diets recomend getting a check up before going on a diet. Just take your doctor's diet recomendation with a grain of salt. Older doctors may try to scare you away from low carb diets, just like they may want to treat you with leeches and bleed you if you are sick.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2004, 12:58:13 PM »
Hehe! My doctor recomended a low-everything diet for me. I am to cut all crap totally, and keep the general food consuption low. I also have to walk for at least one hour every day.
So far I have stopped eating candy, and started to excersize. :-D
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2004, 09:09:14 PM »
So far I have stopped eating candy, and started to excersize.

:nervous:

If my doctor ever told me that I should go on a diet, I would punch him in the head! :-o

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2004, 09:15:59 PM »

iamaboringperson wrote:
So far I have stopped eating candy, and started to excersize.

:nervous:

If my doctor ever told me that I should go on a diet, I would punch him in the head! :-o

Yeah, how dare he look out for your health, that bastard!

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2004, 09:26:40 PM »
:lol:

--Edit:  I'm more conserned about my mental health! ;-)

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2004, 09:47:52 PM »

iamaboringperson wrote:

We're all concerned about that Iama (being a 'titbit' ambiguous)
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline adzTopic starter

• Knight of the Sock
    • Show only replies by adz
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2004, 01:40:41 AM »
@red

Thanks :-) :-) :-) 57 pounds, thats impressive :-o I actually looked at the low carb diet and I know a few people who are on it, but this time round I'm simply going by whats worked for me in the past, the only reason I don't keep the weight off is because I lack the discipline to eat in moderation. At no time do I feel hungry, if anything I feel great (except for the damn cold my kids brought home from school), I have heaps of energy, and the kilos are literally melting off. Plus, with the low carb diet, I have to boot pasta out the door, and coming from an Italian background, that ain't gonna happen. I'm kinda sticking to a vegetarians diet, but with a little meat thrown in.

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2004, 01:51:10 AM »
 @Speelgoedmannetje

[Scotland is a lot like nepal and Tibet you know]

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2004, 03:43:38 AM »

iamaboringperson wrote:

i think that may be a lost cause!!
 :crazy:  :roflmao:

(hey i couldn't resist the straight line!)
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial