Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Os 3.1.4 Thread  (Read 240120 times)

Description:

Offline Romanujan

• Show all replies
Re: The Os 3.1.4 Thread
« on: September 27, 2018, 07:56:18 AM »
It is a quick and dirty hack, but it gets the job done, at least on a clean AmigaOS 3.9 system that I have tested with.

It would be better if it could update not plain OS 3.9, but OS 3.9 with BoingBag 2...

Offline Romanujan

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 10:34:44 AM »
:) There is NO NEED anymore for any Kind of Boing-whatever.... 3.1.4 is much more newer.

I assumed that OS 3.1.4 won't contain most BB2 updates (Reaction, Amplifier, and several others) - in fact, I assumed it won't contain these components at all... do you have access to 3.1.4 beta to confirm this, or is that statement just your guess?

Offline Romanujan

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 01:23:38 PM »
IMHO mixing OS 3.9 and 3.1.4 is not a good idea. It's for version-number-junkies only. But I'm also happy with OS 3.9 BB2, I never felt the desire to update beyond it. So my opinion might not count that much.

Well, I like Amplifier (IMHO it feels better than AmigaAMP). And I don't mind the latest Reaction sitting there on my SD card - it's probably good for compatibility. I already got rid of several OS 3.9 components I consider bloatware (like the dock included with the system, I forgot it's name).

Offline Romanujan

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 07:47:07 PM »
And what is the situation with picture.datatype? AFAIK the OS 3.9 version has one unique important feature: it's a fat binary (m68k + PPC).

Offline Romanujan

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 03:53:58 PM »
According to the FAQ, with 3.1.4 I don't need AmberRAM anymore. How do I mount second RAM disk with plain OS 3.1.4 than? I'm currently using AmberRAM just to have T: and Clipboards: completely separated from RAM:, so I won't copy/delete them by accident.

Offline Romanujan

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 12:37:21 PM »
Does anyone know how can I get the original OS 3.1.4? I've purchased licenses for all the 5 versions, but I got the original 3.1.4 only for my first purchases, for the second batch I only got some revised ROM image - which broke RomSplit compatibility (and has less aesthetic 'About' window).

Offline Romanujan

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 03:37:32 PM »
I don't want to hexedit the files, I just want the original software, just as it was initially released.

I'm really disappointed that they altered the software while keeping the version number and didn't even tell anything to buyers, causing confusion. I purchased licenses even for hardware I don't have and don't intend to buy - partially to encourage the development, partially for nostalgia/collecting purposes (I wanted to "have it all", if you understand me) - hexediting is not a solution at all.

Offline Romanujan

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 05:06:53 PM »
Yet, I didn't get what I have seen on the screenshots. And, as a paying customer, I don't consider silent changes to the product a fair practice.

Lesson learned. I definitely won't spend that much on Hyperion software in the future. If anything at all.

Offline Romanujan

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 09:37:48 AM »
Thomas, this doesn't matter - Hyperion delivered me something slightly different than what he was delivering to the people purchasing the product few days earlier, and I didn't get any information about it before the purchase. If there was a legal flaw within the copyright and they were required to stop distributing the old version, the proper action would be to bump the Kickstart version number (46.143 -> 46.144) and specify the version being sold on the web page, together with a short changelog ("just some copyright strings changed, due to legal reasons") - that's it. A "legal bugfix" release, probably no one would get angry.

I purchased more than I needed to support the development. But silently changing the product without notifying the customers is DEFINITELY NOT something I am willing to support in the future.

Offline Romanujan

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2018, 10:15:17 AM »
Minor imperfection (lack of version bump) - such things I easily forgive, no matter whether it is Amiga or not.
Company behaviour I consider unfair (lack of notification about collectors/nostalgia product change) - much less likely.

This was a code change - the resulting binary is different.

Offline Romanujan

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 03:38:23 PM »
Doesn't matter which sections were altered, the resulting binaries are, in my opinion, inferior. RomSplit got updated, and it seems the 2nd release exec for A1200 needs 152 bytes more in the ROM; IMHO a strange effect if only two strings were changed to be few bytes longer (or maybe AmigaOS require data/code sections to be aligned somehow? I must admit, I have no idea), and definitely not a nice one.

What's even more perplexing, exec from all the Modules ADF disks I got still contain old copyright strings - if these ones are OK, than why the hell the ROM image was changed??? Amiga ecosystem has several pieces of software depending on exact ROM locations (RomSplit, various softkickers, WHDLoad, and who knows what else) - why to do such change, which can only bring trouble?

Offline Romanujan

• Show all replies
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2018, 05:11:20 PM »
Yes... Thank goodness there is no other software out there that updates and you receive a slightly new version. Like on your phone, or computer, or watch, or almost all software that is currently created... :-\

All I have seen so far (like MS Windows) warn about this in their EULA - AmigaOS 3.1.4 is the first one I have seen that did not. And, you have just mentioned one of the reasons why I switched from Windows to Linux at home, and why I use Android or iOS devices as secondary devices only, when I want mobile net access or navigation.