Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is it possible to install BB1 and BB2 without a CD-ROM?  (Read 1935 times)

Description:

Offline TygreTopic starter

Is it possible to install BB1 and BB2 without a CD-ROM?
« on: April 22, 2015, 01:52:42 AM »
Hi all!

I recently installed AmigaOS v3.9 from a network drive  (after installing a bare v3.1 + MiamiDx + SMBFS) and it went very  smoothly  :cool:

But,  when the time came to install the BoingBall1, the Installer asked me to  insert OS3.9 CD... which I can't: I don't have a CD-ROM for my Amiga...  

Would it be possible to install BB1 from a network drive as I  did with OS3.9? I didn't look into the script but maybe one of you  already did modify the script or could point me in the right direction?  (Or better, share it with me ;) )

Thanks!

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: Is it possible to install BB1 and BB2 without a CD-ROM?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 01:58:57 AM »
I'd have to look at the script, but I think it just looks for the assign. Should be possible to redirect to a local folder?
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline aGGreSSor

• Show only replies by aGGreSSor
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 05:36:56 AM »
Quote from: Tygre
Is it possible to install BB1 and BB2 without a CD-ROM?

Someone doing install from CD? All files are replaced manually. BB1 and BB2 it's simple password protected zip-archives "AmigaOS-Update". S:Startup-Sequence, S:User-Startup amd S:Shell-Startup change similarly vary.
A1230@50MHz/32M/80G, Mediator PCI (S3 ViRGE/DX 4M, RTL8139), GBS-8200, AOS 3.9;
A2000@7.14MHz without all :laugh1:

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 05:47:12 AM »
Well at some point you have to read the CD to copy all the files (including the videos) into a partition named the same as the disk; then it works. So if you can copy the CD contents via your network to an Amiga partition...  

Otherwise buy a flippin' CD drive; they come in all flavors to connect to your Amy, and you can use it for other crap too!  Like a coffee mug holder.

Offline Thomas

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 07:28:59 AM »
Quote from: Tygre;788185
Hi all!

I recently installed AmigaOS v3.9 from a network drive  (after installing a bare v3.1 + MiamiDx + SMBFS) and it went very  smoothly  :cool:

But,  when the time came to install the BoingBall1, the Installer asked me to  insert OS3.9 CD... which I can't: I don't have a CD-ROM for my Amiga...  

Would it be possible to install BB1 from a network drive as I  did with OS3.9? I didn't look into the script but maybe one of you  already did modify the script or could point me in the right direction?  (Or better, share it with me ;) )

Thanks!

You shouldn't install from a network directory anyway because you loose file attributes (you already lost them when copying files from the CD to the directory).

But you could store an ISO image of the 3.9 CD on the network and mount it using virtual CD software (diskimage.device for example). Then you can do a proper installation over the network and also successfully install the BoingBags.

Offline aGGreSSor

• Show only replies by aGGreSSor
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 11:23:09 AM »
Quote from: Thomas;788207
You shouldn't install from a network directory anyway because you loose file attributes

I beg of you. This doesn't prevent him to boot. AmigaOS - single-user OS without rules. One AmigaDOS command will be enough:

Code: [Select]
1> PROTECT SYS:#? rwed ALL
A1230@50MHz/32M/80G, Mediator PCI (S3 ViRGE/DX 4M, RTL8139), GBS-8200, AOS 3.9;
A2000@7.14MHz without all :laugh1:

Offline TygreTopic starter

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 02:31:15 PM »
Morning all!

Thanks a lot for your advice! :cool:

I'll try with an assign even if I loose the attributes, I just don't feel like buying (and burning) a CD-ROM... after all, today is Earth Day :)

Cheers!

guest11527

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 03:23:59 PM »
Quote from: aGGreSSor;788212
I beg of you. This doesn't prevent him to boot. AmigaOS - single-user OS without rules. One AmigaDOS command will be enough:

Code: [Select]
1> PROTECT SYS:#? rwed ALL

Well, but that misses a lot of bits. The S bit of all scripts will be lost. The "p" bit of the pure commands in C: will be lost. The "h" bits for those commands in C: that should be held resident by the shell will be lost. That's quite some information that is missing.