Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "A couple of clarifications" from Bill McEwen  (Read 15612 times)

Description:

Offline mr_a500

• Show only replies by mr_a500
Re: "A couple of clarifications" from Bill McEwen
« Reply #44 from previous page: September 21, 2006, 09:13:20 PM »
When I say "I'm not foolish enough to believe in unrealistic tripe", I am referring to Bill McEwen's answers. Maybe "unrealistic tripe" is a bit harsh. I probably should have chosen some other term for it, but I can't think of one right now. What is the term for someone deliberately making extremely unrealistic promises?

Why am I here? Do you mean this thread? I am giving an opinion that hasn't been given yet. Isn't that the point of a discussion? Should I not be here?

If you mean why am I on Amiga.org, then that should be obvious. I am an Amiga user.

Offline SystemTopic starter

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2006, 09:19:58 PM »
What is the term for someone deliberately making extremely unrealistic promises?

From Thesaurus.com;
Main Entry:   con man
Part of Speech:   noun
Definition:   confidence man
Synonyms:   bilker, bunco, cheater, clip artist, con artist, crook, deceiver, fleecer, flimflammer, fraud, hoser, hustler, mountebank, scam artist, scammer, shark, sharpie, smoothie, swindler
Source:   Roget's New Millenniumâ„¢ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.3.1)
Copyright © 2006 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

{Edit : I don't think either Con Man or liar (pre-edit) applies because both denote intent, which I don't think is there, but you asked}

Offline mr_a500

• Show only replies by mr_a500
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2006, 09:25:54 PM »
Ah, yes. Thank you. I think on this particular occasion, I will chose "jive turkey".

"I am not foolish enough to believe in jive turkeys." :-D

Edit: Hey, you changed the definition on me. I'll have to change to "bunco flimflammers".

Offline SystemTopic starter

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2006, 09:36:27 PM »
I prefer "hoser" eh?

As in "take off, ya hoser".

So, if like you take a little baby mouse, and you put it in a empty beer bottle...

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2006, 09:54:20 PM »
After two years worth of work, I'm sure there would be something to show for it.

Sorry, I was implying that that they don't have a kernel for OS5 since they were/are trying to negotiate with the Freidens to write it. Without a kernel you don't have much of an OS. Just bits and pieces. Showing those in whatever state they may be in would just get them more grief, from the usual suspects of course. Like we are seeing now.
Now if Amiga, Inc. would tell us the basic details, beyond "it will be multiplatform", that would be a good start. Though haveing OS4 out on the market would be better, before talking about OS 5. It just makes it look like they are skippinga step.

Offline A3KOne

• Show only replies by A3KOne
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2006, 05:10:37 AM »
After two years worth of work, I'm sure there would be something to show for it.

THERE IS!!!!  SECRET STOLEN OS-5 CODE RELEASED!

10 CLS
15 A = INT(RND(50)): B = INT(RND(50))
20 PRINT @ A,B "WELCOME TO AMIGA OS5"
30 PRINT @ A+1,B+1 "BACK FOR THE FUTURE...AGAIN!"
40 FOR T = 1 TO 200
45 C = INT(RND(255)): SOUND C,10: NEXT T
50 GOTO 10

Keep in mind that it is a work in progress and it has only been 2 years which is to say a couple of days in the regular world.

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2006, 05:23:59 PM »
A3KOne:

LOLOLOL!!!!!
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline recidivist

• Show only replies by recidivist
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2006, 02:47:44 PM »
Actually companies never owe you anything not in the purchase contract.

Companies must first do that which keeps the company in business and that ,ultimately, is making a profit .Usually by providing a good service to a large number of customers Sometimes a company abandons its first customers completely ,starts over in a new market with new products and thrives.Sometimes.

It is generally considered not to be good business to release too much internal information lest your competitors use it against you.

Once you have millions and millions of customers with propietary hardware and software integrated into their businesses THEN you can announce new improved versions  "in the near future" as does Microsoft whenever any innovative competitor  arises.THOSE customers then put off their purchases waiting for the "official" models,thus killing the upstart company.

Amiga,Inc isn't Microsoft and thus must play their cards closer.

The Samantha news out of Italy is very interesting;now to see if speculation re:Wii comes true?!

Offline recidivist

• Show only replies by recidivist
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2006, 02:52:44 PM »
WAyne,
  I think you are spot on;games consoles have continued to sell  well even though Wintel has captured the desktop.

Offline TheCyberCo

• Show only replies by TheCyberCo
Past and future - what Bill McEwen must do
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2006, 12:39:39 PM »
Everybody in this forum (I hope so) has a job, so Bill McEwen has one. And this is what he does. Lets talk about past, when Commodore made all the mistakes that led to todays situation.

Wasn't it Commodore who misunderstood the signs and lead us to the way to a "dead" Amiga? Amiga just lives in the heart of us - the real world ate it up! Tell me just some little advantages Amiga has related to a good PC using XP?

Look at Macintosh - they did it... They found a corner to live and they used it together with a self-created image. Amiga was known by millions and sold to millions... but Commodore has thrown it away.

Bill McEwen belongs just to a third or fourth owner of "Amiga" brandings and old code sources. And may be, if he was not in the place after those other companies went down, no AmigaOS 3.x or 4.x would ever have seen the light of our sun.

Not everyone is happy about "TAO" or a massive redesigned OS4 or 5... for this reason there are projects like AROS out there, and i guess it must be possible to port the famous "MONO" a dotNET clone to the AMIGA's AROS - world... I thought about it by myself... but I do not know if I have the time to do this...

Why are just all "crying" around about good old times. Take your keyboard and do something for it! Porting MONO and other famous applications to AROS would make it an "alternative" that no longer lives behind the moon.

I think about Amiga when thinking about Linux. I do not think that Amiga will be a real alternative to "commercial" systems like Windows, but as open source operating system like AROS Amiga has some potential. It is small, powerful and has some good concepts...

I hope you understand what Bill does for us.. he gives us hope! Without his work and a still existing "Amiga Inc.", noone would ever have thought about Amiga surviving the times... Amiga itself has died a decade before!

M