Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Adult conversation about this whole EULA issue.  (Read 14573 times)

Description:

Offline Dan

• Show all replies
Re: Adult conversation about this whole EULA issue.
« on: August 22, 2003, 12:19:32 AM »

olegil wrote:
You don't get it, do you MarkTime?

Noone is saying anything about _copying_ OSX. You install it on a computer that just not happens to be Apple branded. As an end user here in Norway, if I wanted to do this, there is very little Apple could do, afaik. Because it's very tricky for them to dictate how I must use their product. I paid for the right to USE it, not for the right to use it only ever full moon after having sacrificed a virgin goat. Or would have, had I had any interest in OSX.

But I would not advice bundling OSX with non-Apple hardware even though it was paid for. Because tricking end users into breaking a contract is not a good idea.

Same with Genesi/OS3.9. They don't claim to have an official license to bundle this.

@All:
I remember a few weeks ago there was all sorts of #### stirred up about Eyetech shipping UAE and Magic Packs with AmigaOnes. How can that be bad while this is good, btw?

This is not good, from Bill Bucks post:
2. We had purchased and therefore LICENSED Amiga 3.9 for over 500 potential Pegasos buyers. 3.9 works now through emulation. If a Pegasos owner has 3.5 or 3,9 they can legally use it on the Pegasos.

Clearly he hasn´t  "LICENSED", he has just bought some WB3.9 disks which he can resell just like any other amigadealer. But he can´t bundle them with the Pegasos. Sell them at the same time yes. But put them in a package with the Pegasos and sell them togheter  NO.
Even a 4 year old understands that.

Btw: I admit to running OS3.5 on non-Amiga branded hardware. But as it came with kickstart 3.1 in ROM I don't think I'm really up #### creek, at least not without a ladder or other means of getting down :-P

I don´t think you will have any trouble with your Access.
Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!

Offline Dan

• Show all replies
Re: Adult conversation about this whole EULA issue.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2003, 04:28:07 PM »

Kronos wrote:
@Dan

Whats the difference between bundling and "selling together" ?
Tell you what, it is just a fancy way of saying just the same.

It may be that they would have to list both items seperatly on the bill, like:

Pegasos 2-mobo Euro 299.99
AmigaOS-3.9         Euro      0.1  :-P

That is only part of it, it would also require to be ordered as separate items and be packaged as such just like if you bought it from an amigashop.
If BB want to be totally in the clear, i think he must make it possible for people to buy AmigaOS without buying a Pegasos.

If stating that you can run another os under emulation is to encourage people to commit a crime, which in it self is a crime and  if the EULA is H&Ps or Amiga Incs and if Amiga Inc in that case can uphold H&Ps EULA is another matter and for a court to decide.

And shouldn´t that be AmigaOS3.9 0.01Euro. :-)

As for EULAs in general an I Agree button is surely not good enough here in Sweden.
It doesn´t even say WHO it is that agrees!!! My cat?? the neighbours two year old??? a senile old man that passed by???
How can it be a personal license if anybody can agree with it????
If You had to enter your name and adress and the serial code from the software disk to agree that would be better.

And   then there is the whole EULA is not printed on the box issue.
You can´t force a contract on somebody after they have bought something!
What if Amiga Inc wants a monthly fee if you use an AmigaOS???? Hey, here is the new contract now pay us.
I mean really, be reasonable about this.

If Apple doesn´t want people to run OS X on non-Apple-machines then they should print that on the box.
Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!