Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any hobbyist native OS in the past for classic Amigas?  (Read 4669 times)

Description:

Offline ptekTopic starter

• Show only replies by ptek
Any hobbyist native OS in the past for classic Amigas?
« on: May 01, 2011, 02:20:24 PM »
I'm wondeing if was there any attempt to create an native 68k OS for the classic Amiga as alternative to AmigaOS/Workbench... If I'm not mistaken there is none? Excluding the Kickstart replacement, of course since it targets AmigaOS compatibility.

Although I understand this at a certain point where the classic AmigaOS being amazing enough for the limited HW to discourage any possible attempt to do any other OS I find somewhat hard to accept the idea that no skilled OS enthusiast never started playing with this.
Onions have layers ...

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
Re: Any hobbyist native OS in the past for classic Amigas?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 02:30:20 PM »
Well, besides the kickstart replacement there is also going to be AROS 68K, which technically is a hobbyist 68K OS "workalike" to OS3.1 - but not actually based on OS3.1, instead written from the ground up.

Wasn't there also a workbench desktop replacement out there --- can't remember what it was called now.  Oh yes: Scalos (http://scalos.noname.fr/).  A partial hobbyist OS, anyway.
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 02:42:23 PM »
Well, its not a hobby OS, but ProDAD started work on p.OS
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline nicholas

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 02:55:09 PM »
Quote from: xeron;634676
Well, its not a hobby OS, but ProDAD started work on p.OS

I have the Pre-Release CD of pOS but I have not installed it yet.  Stupid name though in English speaking countries, someone failed to do any market research methinks!

Morph OS 1.4 could be considered a "hobby" OS I guess but you need a PPC card.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 02:58:03 PM »
There are also BSD and Linux ports for 68k Amiga's.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 02:58:23 PM »
Quote from: SCALOS Website;634680
First of all, Scalos is NOT a replacement OS, although the name suggests otherwise. It is a desktop replacement for the Amiga.

I guess that counts it out. Still looks great though! Don't know why I never tried it out TBH.
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 03:11:04 PM »
Aren't they all hobbyist operating systems now? Nobody can seriously claim that OS3.x or any of the "next gen" amiga operating systems that followed exist for any purpose other than for our amusement. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.
int p; // A

Offline lsmart

• Show only replies by lsmart
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 04:32:21 PM »
Well, if you ran ARP and Daves Jazzbench, you could pretty much have an alternative OS when 2.0 was still called AmigaDOS 1.4.

Of course ther was NetBSD for all MMU-Amigas with 8MB of RAM in the 90s.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 04:46:44 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;634684
Aren't they all hobbyist operating systems now? Nobody can seriously claim that OS3.x or any of the "next gen" amiga operating systems that followed exist for any purpose other than for our amusement. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.
You could look at it that way, but "hobbyist operating system" makes me think more of roll-your-own projects than keeping an older OS up and running.

It's a pity there aren't more hobbyist OSes for non-x86 systems - it'd be fun to see something like KolibriOS or some other minimalist assembly-based hobby project on the Amiga or other platforms.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 04:50:41 PM »
I never tried Scalos or proDAD in the past but like said before, Scalos is presented as a Workbench replacement (like that last versions of DOpus) and not as a real OS, that would boot the Amiga, managing every hardware component and supplying its own software layer without any calls to AmigaOS, exposing an API. In fact, a true AmigaOS replacement.

As for the linux, well it's a port of an existent OS to the Amiga, not anything new in concept.

Something like building an OS from scratch would for sure be difficult to implement as a hobby - take AROS for an example - but I wouldn't be surprised if an OS developer enthusiast did some attempts. It seems if there were such cases nobody published or announced their attempts.
Onions have layers ...

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
Quote from: lsmart;634694
Well, if you ran ARP and Daves Jazzbench, you could pretty much have an alternative OS when 2.0 was still called AmigaDOS 1.4.

Of course ther was NetBSD for all MMU-Amigas with 8MB of RAM in the 90s.

ARP replaced some AmigaOS1.x resources like the file requester but I don't think the goal was to get a full OS replacement. In fact, it co-existed with AmigaOS. I see it more like an enhancement for AmigaOS.
Onions have layers ...

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 05:07:41 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;634698
You could look at it that way, but "hobbyist operating system" makes me think more of roll-your-own projects than keeping an older OS up and running.

It's a pity there aren't more hobbyist OSes for non-x86 systems - it'd be fun to see something like KolibriOS or some other minimalist assembly-based hobby project on the Amiga or other platforms.

My possible explanation for the number of hobbyist OS for the x86 was due to the fact that Windows was really crap these days and the number of x86 machines was a lot higher. And the Amiga needed no replacement for its wonderfull OS.
Onions have layers ...

Offline lsmart

• Show only replies by lsmart
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 07:11:13 PM »
Quote from: ptek;634702
ARP replaced some AmigaOS1.x resources like the file requester but I don't think the goal was to get a full OS replacement. In fact, it co-existed with AmigaOS. I see it more like an enhancement for AmigaOS.

Oh, I really forgot about Arp-requesters. No I was refering to the ARP 1.3 CLI-commands. If you use their CLI-commands you have a non Commodore shell. And if you use Jazzbench you have a non Commodore Workbench. However Kickstart and all the libraries were the originals, so it really wasn´t the core of a OS, but most of the stuff the user actually sees.

Offline Borut

• Show only replies by Borut
    • http://www.crt-software.com
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 08:58:14 PM »
Someone on http://www.a1k.org installed TOS (no Emulation!) on an A1000 - don´t know if that counts :)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 09:07:18 PM »
Quote from: lsmart;634728
Oh, I really forgot about Arp-requesters. No I was refering to the ARP 1.3 CLI-commands. If you use their CLI-commands you have a non Commodore shell. And if you use Jazzbench you have a non Commodore Workbench. However Kickstart and all the libraries were the originals, so it really wasn´t the core of a OS, but most of the stuff the user actually sees.

That sounds very interesting, do you have any links to further info?