Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Worst of the Worst Think Comodore has done.  (Read 4560 times)

Description:

Offline Atheist

• Show all replies
Re: Worst of the Worst Think Comodore has done.
« on: May 31, 2003, 07:19:16 AM »
The A2000 should have had a 68020 @ 14MHz, and 14MHz OCS (the A500 as well). AND sockets for more ram chips (or simm slots, but Alkis doesn't think simms existed then), and the bridge board slot and ISA bus was a HUGE waste of time and money.

A midi port should have been put on the MB.

AmigaOne! Amiga had an INSANE amount of potential!
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

Offline Atheist

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2003, 11:47:30 PM »
CD32 was a joke.

It should have had a 68030 @ 25MHz or higher, 2 meg chip AND 2 meg fast ram, SIMM sockets to expand to 32 megs fast ram.

Same with the 1200. No fast ram was a HUGE mistake. BUT, it HAD to have 2 chip as well.

Agnus not going higher than 2 megs chip, HUGE mistake. It should have been able to do at LEAST 64 Megs.

The A1's ability to emulate custom chips, I REALLY hope can break the 2 Meg chip ram barrier (remember it's SW), to at LEAST 256 Megs chip.

AmigaOne! Ready to do the impossible??!!
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

Offline Atheist

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2003, 12:33:51 AM »

iamaboringperson wrote:
its a game console! that would of made it a lot more expensive, would games be upgraded to take advantage of the 030? probably not. you still would of had a hell of a lot of shoval ware back then
and i cant think of why any propriatary game console would have a standard system of ram expansion - i hope you dont mean standard 30 or 72 pin SIMM soccets!  :-o  :-o

Well, thats why it died. They REFUSED to make faster machines. Why not SIMM sockets. Why can't a playstation 2, gamecube, or that other thing have SIMM sockets? EVERYONE seems to think this is a "Cardinal law of the Universe" that cannot be broken.

do you realize howmuch 2M cost back in those days??
people bought the 1200 for cheapness - if they wanted quality they would go for the 4000, which had fast ram

CD32 was pretty expensive, anyway. When a company buys it, in mass quantities, it wasn't that much, really.

were forgetting that agnus was made in the mid 80's!!!
2M was heaps back then! 64M??? the 68000 could only address 16M of memory! and that included ROM and IO!!!

CD32 had 68020. 32 bit address space. I don't believe they used a 68EC020 chip.

Imagine if the CD32 was able to expand to 128 megs. It would still be useful today!!! External compact flash card reader, 512 Megs. WooHooo!!

who cares if it can emulate the custom chips.
i want new software(with no backwards compatability bottlenecks) - to run old #### just run UAE

I really, REALLY believe there are people out there that would LOVE to run some old paint packages and sound programs that break that barrier.

Remember that there are many programs that probably won't be recompiled to PPC. No reason to abandom them, they're THAT good.

AmigaOne! Amiga, (way) ahead of its' time!

Offline Atheist

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2003, 01:00:45 AM »
Generally correct.

BUT, it's the proprietary hardware, that SW companies pay a royalty per piece of SW sold, that the manufacturer of the game console gets, which brings in the dough!

AmigaOne! Too many mistakes made already, stop it, read my posts!!!  :-D