Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 101 reasons to love Windows Phone  (Read 9039 times)

Description:

Offline psxphill

Re: 101 reasons to love Windows Phone
« on: June 16, 2012, 09:43:40 AM »
Quote from: runequester;696522
I hear very little demand on a day to day basis from people wanting windows mobile phones. The people who want specific devices are almost universally asking for android and iphone.

And a little while ago everyone wanted blackberry's.
Microsoft are still preparing, it usually takes them a while to spin up.

They first got into the games industry with the Dreamcast by offering Windows CE as a platform for games. It wasn't as good as the native Sega development kit, but a few games were produced using it. Then came the Xbox, it was ridiculed for it's size & they didn't make any money but with determination they got the brand known. Now with the 360 I believe they are actually making money.

Windows had a similar gestation period. The NT project was always going to be the future, the 9x versions were stopgap to keep money rolling in. NT4 was the first user friendly one, 2000 was the first stable one, XP was the first where you could get drivers. Before XP it was tricky to decide which version to run, afterwards it became a simple choice.

I'm not saying Microsoft will succeed, but based on the past there is no reason why what they are doing can't work. It takes time to build momentum and although I won't be buying one right now, it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

I won't be buying an iphone either, a mid level android phone is good enough for me. However Microsoft have a knack at making things affordable and pretty good (given enough time).

Offline psxphill

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 03:53:17 PM »
Quote from: Duce;696989
Curious to see what the real world battery life is on the Ivybridge tablets - if it's crappy they are dead in the water already. The tablet market is dominated by tablets that have no probs getting 10+ hours per full charge, so hopefully the MS ones will compare.

Battery life is not necessarily that relevant with wireless charging, most people don't use a tablet for 10+ hours at a time. People buy i5 laptops that don't last that long.

The past has shown that people will accept a product that is inferior in some respects if it is superior in others. In some cases the superiority is only better marketing.

I wouldn't buy an ipad, but I might buy one of these. It depends on the price and how robust it is.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 12:38:07 AM »
Quote from: Duce;697047
Curious how many of the people that are excited about these things, how many have actually used Windows 8, either on a traditional machine or on a x86 tablet? You can download the RC now and try it, absolutely free, right? Takes a few minutes to setup, and works just fine on any VM out there. The release version won't be much different than the current version.

It's an unmitigated disaster

What is the point in suggesting people download it if you're going to tell us what we have to think about it? I don't know why Microsoft just didn't ask you to test it and save everyone elses time.

I actually quite like it and I've so far only installed it on my netbook.

And you have no idea how different the release version will be.