Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Official email info about sharkppc from elbox  (Read 4675 times)

Description:

Offline lempkee

• Show all replies
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
Re: Official email info about sharkppc from elbox
« on: November 20, 2003, 09:59:01 PM »
kronos: what about all of us who bought a mediator then? its more than all pegasos systems sold and that you know so well but still bleh.

anyway as kronos stated hyperion still havent got a card to mess with and still linux aint even shown running on it.

oh and btw the price on the shark is 199 quid and up to 340 quid... , last i checked that was an pretty decent price to pay if you allready have a mediator and btw many want to keep that ..

Whats up with all the hate!

Offline lempkee

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2003, 12:02:29 AM »
kronos: i am just so amazed over how anti amiga u can be at times, thats why....and especially elbox.

you are the first guy in every elbox post to comment how crap or how u want people to look the other way, though there is like ALOT of people still buying mediators.

as for the numbers with pegasos, i draw that into here because of the fact that you said there wasnt enough people interested, hence why i pointed out that its atleast bigger than the peg market.

and yes i agree that shark is vapor and it remains to be seen if it ever comes, most of all if it will be useable even.

when it comes to the mem window , i am on a ppc and i managed to get outside of the 8mb window (like the a4k people do without any tricks) ,
sure it will only see the first 8mb for os stuff and the rest of the card will be hidden but USED and that works here(finally) (thanx to elbox and their beta stuff).

anyway my amiga like many others will be built and built upon and some of us (i did) bought myself the new hw aswell, but i will always turn back to the real amiga and atleast for now since neither pegasos 1 or amigaone is enough to keep me busy.

btw the first shark is indeed only a cpu card, not like shark+ , and yes it has no AGP but that means nothing anyway since we all know that the mediator cant even use 30% of the potential of the voodoo3/4/5 pci cards we have in it today, a sharkppc and a ppc os will change that and sure it wont be an amigaone but did i say that it would ? , it wont even be the same mhz.

anyway i hope that helps, i just get very pissed that you always jumps in on upgrade questions like you did, but i agree with you on alot of this which u mentioned in the second reply.

Offline lempkee

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2003, 10:31:21 AM »
karlos: hehehe yeah i know, but it aint the same thing...its a hack concept...long live ..:D

kronos:hyperion said that yes, but there is something which tells me that supporting the sharkppc with os4 wont go in a destructive way, and as far as elbox go ... it wouldnt need any modifications, anyway its vapor and it has been that since 2001 for me (i saw the card in 1999/2000 and held it in my hands...).

yeah there might not be a market anymore for building up their amigas but the weird part is that there is more people wanting to upgrade what they have to ppc and with the lack of ppc cards .heh.. (i know of people who paid over 450 Euro for a 060*603e card this year,used old stuff.)

anyway i will wait and see, as i am sure there is enough of things ready for me by the time the shark is out or in....

Offline lempkee

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2003, 03:57:12 PM »
mantispider: the sharkppc normal model (the first one to come if any will come) will not be equilliant to amigaone nor amigaone micro, it will have less cpu power + diffrent thinsg will make it slower also, mostly because you add it to your cpu bus on the a1200 etc and that has its limits.

its just an addon wich will hopefully let you have a G3 or a G$ cpu on it (upto 500 mhz).

and it will cost less than the other ways and most of all you will keep your old hw intact, so for people like me i could use my fav machine all the time and dont care about emulators like uae to get my stuff running.

but ofcourse i will get an amigaone Micro when it comes aswell and maybe a peg2 but it remains to be seen what will happen , peg 2 was announced to come in october and now we are in december soon and if i was a troll i would have made alot of noise of it on ann.lu or here on this board , and also a1 micro wont come before quarter 1 2004.

as a last note in this, hyperion have had successfull contracts with elbox before (warp3d) and they are in contact with elbox about the shark but last time i bothered to ask they concluded it was just a big mystery to them as its to us how elbox will pull of the SW stuff to make it boot and work ..

if it really worked it would have been for sale since linux ppc worked on amigaones, and i know of alot of people who would have bought this card even if its only got linux for now..

cheers

Offline lempkee

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2003, 07:56:05 PM »
if 2000-3000 mediators only was sold then i find the DCE official numbers to have been totally biased!, 1000 cards was produced and compared to the mediator the grexx aint anything you want unless u really gotta have it (or have a ppc).

8-10000 is a number i am willing to speculate in, mediator is now 3 years old and i still see people buying it every month.

and i doubt elbox would have made all thr models they did if they only sold 300 units of every model...