Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Main Computer challenge  (Read 2986 times)

Description:

Offline weaselfierceTopic starter

• Show only replies by weaselfierce
Amiga Main Computer challenge
« on: January 13, 2019, 01:58:25 AM »
So it's a new year, we all promise to do things we don't want to, like eat better, wash the dog more, drink less beer, whatever the case might be.

Why not try something that's actually fun instead?

Thus I present: The Amiga Main Computer Challenge.

It is simple: For whatever length of time you set for yourself, use only your Amiga as your main computer and / or source of entertainment.

That means if you need an app, gotta be on the Amiga.
That means if you want to play a game or listen to music, gotta be on the Amiga.
If it can't be done that way, it doesn't get done.

Activities you'd normally do on another computer, ipad, whatever must be replaced with activities on the Amiga.
Instead of arguing about politics on twitter, go make something in Deluxepaint.
Instead of browsing facebook, write a letter to your grandma.

Your "Work" computer:
Back in the day, you didn't take the office IBM home with you when you left for the day.
As such, if you need a modern computer to do your work, banking etc. you can still do that. Basically, when you are doing that stuff, as far as the challenge, that's "at work" and thus doesn't count.

But resist cheating.
Stick to the things you NEED to do. That facebook game must wait!

You can set the challenge for any amount of time. The point isn't to be annoying but to actually get more use out of that lovely old computer, try some new things and have a good time.

Do 1 day, a weekend, a week, an entire month, whatever works for you.

Bonus points if you go all out and only listen to music or watch movies released in the "appropriate" period (85-94, natch).

So.. you down for the challenge?

Offline QuikSanz

Re: Amiga Main Computer challenge
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 03:53:36 AM »
As soon as I get a Vampire4 for my A2000, I'll take that on.

Offline nbache

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 01:07:42 PM »
Hmm ... been living like that for around three decades now. The last decade and a half (more or less) my main computer has been an NG Amiga (first A1 XE G4, currently X1000, soon hoping to switch over to using my newish X5000 instead). But before that it was classical Amigas, the last one with a 1260 and BlizzardVision among other stuff - still in use as a serial terminal, actually :-).

I do have to use a pc for some stuff (banking, public health system among others), but I don't stay on it once I'm done with that, I switch back to the Amiga.

Edit: Noticed the bonus challenge now: I'm not up for that, though - new movies and music are equally deserving to be played on the best system available :-D.

Then again maybe I'm not even counting in your book, since I'm using NG:
the "appropriate" period (85-94, natch).

Best regards,

Niels
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 01:13:59 PM by nbache »

Offline lionstorm

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 02:28:42 PM »
my X-5000 (and before my AmigaOneXEG4 and before my A1200PC) is my main computer, I do what normal people do with their computer : emails, webbrowser, writing texts for amigafanzine, listening to music, reading txt/pdf files...

the pc is the game machine, not more than that.

Offline weaselfierceTopic starter

• Show only replies by weaselfierce
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 07:24:05 PM »
Well hey, I suppose current-gen Amiga's totally count, though in that case it becomes less of a challenge, since you can do all the modern-day stuff :-)

Offline lionstorm

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 05:59:32 PM »
well my A1200PPC is my backup in case my X-5000 is going bad, it runs AOS3.9 and AOS4.1 as well although slowly due to the internal IDE port (BVision scsi is sadly not supported and I dont want to buy a FastATA just for that)

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 08:25:27 PM »
@weaselfierce

Nice idea but I'm guessing most people have lives that require modern computer / internet access from home. Why forgo Spotify for an old Eagles CD? Why go to a branch of your bank rather than use an app? Why use Photogenics when Photoshop is what's needed. I constantly make excuses to use my Amiga even for work projects but it has to be in a supplemental capacity since 2004. I gave the Amiga a whole 10 years to catch up again. It's just for fun now and that's fine.

... I've reread what you wrote and agree this would be a fun challenge for outside of work.😁
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 08:29:02 PM by BozzerBigD »
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios