Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Public Release of MorphOS 2.6 & Introduction of PowerMac Support  (Read 13627 times)

Description:

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
Release of MorphOS 2.6 & Introduction of PowerMac Support
« on: October 10, 2010, 09:22:13 AM »
The MorphOS development team is proud to announce the public release of MorphOS 2.6 introducing support of PowerMac G4 systems. In addition to the extended hardware support, existing users will benefit from various bug fixes and a few new features. For an overview of the included changes, please read our release notes.

We strongly urge owners of PowerMac computers to carefully read our installation and troubleshoot guides before they attempt to install MorphOS for the first time. Existing users can upgrade via the familiar procedure but are encouraged to read the guides as well. MorphOS 2.6 is available for download in our files section.

Offline Piru

• Show all replies
Re: Public Release of MorphOS 2.6 & Introduction of PowerMac Support
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 06:34:07 PM »
Quote from: Nostromo;583893
Just tried to install it but didnt work. I got to where you select the HDD, and it is not displayed in there. Needless to say with OSX I did not have any of these problems.

:(
You could try couple of things:
1. Check that the devices are correctly jumpered for master/slave. MorphOS might be pickier about this.
2. You could try different 80-pin ATA cable. Mac OS X might be able to downgrade the DMA modes in case of flaky cable.
3. You could try the HDD connected to a different ATA connector. Many Power Mac models have multiple ATA controllers.

Also we'd be interested to hear the exact model of the system, full showconfig and pciscan verbose output.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 07:19:59 PM by Piru »

Offline Piru

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 09:42:42 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;584085
the devs of both MOS and OS4 appear on here and other forums regularly and make comments that at best can be viewed as misleading and at worst, false advertising.

It'd be interested to hear where MorphOS developers have posted misleading information or false advertising. Care to elaborate?

Offline Piru

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 09:56:55 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;584108
I'm sure I can find some specific ones
Please do. Because any of
but just look back on all the X1000 pre-release hype.  What a let-down once the real specs were made public in the forums.  The X1000 devs wanted to whip up as much enthusiam and excitement as possible and intentionally misled people by making statements about how powerful the X1000 co-processor would be.  Turns out it probably won't even be used at all and it isn't useful for desktop computing anyway.  It was just a marketing gimmick to get old school Amiga enthusiasts excited.....ala the original Amigas which used co-processors for sound and video.  And of course there are plenty of MOS fans in this thread trying to convince me that MOS is just fine for office use......sadly, it isn't.  I cannot import/export MS Office files or OpenOffice files.  As for browsers, many of the web sites I need are protected using SmartCard technology and use custom java and javascript apps written for the military.  Not to mention the web sites that use Flash 9 or greater.  Before I bought my PegII and MOS back in 2007 I lurked in the forums and read as much as I could about MOS and the positive comments outnumbered the negatives in regard to just about everything.   Several people metnioned that I should be patient and that office apps would surely arrive.  It's 3 years later and I'm still waiting.  And I'm willing to bet that in 3 more years, I'll still be waiting for decent office software.  And I'm not even talking anything as huge as OpenOffice.  What about AbiWord and GnuCalc for starters?  I'm not going to use classic Amiga software developed in 1990s on my PegII and be satisified when I've paid 2007 retail prices for the OS.
...doesn't involve MorphOS developers.

Your statement was quite specific.

I feel that we MorphOS developers have always been honest about MorphOS, what it does and what it cannot do. We know the shortcomings and we understand that is isn't the right OS for everyone. This is one of the major reasons that there's a "free demo" version of the OS available. You just need to find a friend colleague with a compatible computer (much easier now with the Mac support) and give it a try.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 10:02:42 PM by Piru »

Offline Piru

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 10:15:07 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;584110
I simply can't continue to support it with my cash when it doesn't offer me any way to recoup my investment.  Perhaps that's my mistake for assuming that it was more than a hobby OS.

I can understand that.

I'm tired of being scammed. Don't like to see it happen to others.

What I can't understand is that you these days seem to have a mission to shoot down anything MorphOS related, regardless of the merits. I am fairly sure that people here are mature enough to make up their own mind about things.

Constructive criticism and feedback is always welcome of course. Calling it a scam is IMHO unfounded and plain rude.