Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Public Release of MorphOS 2.6 & Introduction of PowerMac Support  (Read 13625 times)

Description:

Offline Boot_WB

• Show all replies
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
Re: Release of MorphOS 2.6 & Introduction of PowerMac Support
« on: October 10, 2010, 01:11:02 PM »
Quote from: Piru;583826
The MorphOS development team is proud to announce the public release of MorphOS 2.6 introducing support of PowerMac G4 systems. In addition to the extended hardware support, existing users will benefit from various bug fixes and a few new features. For an overview of the included changes, please read our release notes.

We strongly urge owners of PowerMac computers to carefully read our installation and troubleshoot guides before they attempt to install MorphOS for the first time. Existing users can upgrade via the familiar procedure but are encouraged to read the guides as well. MorphOS 2.6 is available for download in our files section.

Great news - MorphOS team continues to bring us Good Things (TM). :-D

released 10/10/10@10:10 - just couldn't resist a binary release date eh?

Thanks Piru, I look forward to installing on my Powermac (MDD/Dual1GHz) and updating my Mac Mini. Best regards to the rest of the team.

@DaveAE/System (Two accounts for the same person?!)

I look forward to testing the Envy24HT audio drivers for the Terratec Phase 22 and Aureon Sky cards (picked up in anticipation of this release). I'll let you know how digital in/out performs on the Phase22 so you can update the "supported cards" section of your website (as digital i/o on the Phase22 did NOT work under OSX (10.4.2) with the Terratec-supplied drivers).
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline Boot_WB

• Show all replies
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
Re: Public Release of MorphOS 2.6 & Introduction of PowerMac Support
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 05:54:02 PM »
Quote from: redrumloa;584046
Originally Posted by ferrellsl  View Post
Sure. Compare away. The only system of the 3 that you can do any real work with is OSX. Peopled don't buy MOS for nostalgia. Nor do people buy OSX for nostalgia. They buy it to get things done. That's the point. You're trying to justify the expense of MOS like it's some sort of antique to be collected. MOS is still being produced. It's not an antique.
MorphOS cannot do any serious work, it is a retro user hobby. If you want to do serious work you get a Windows based PC, a Linux based PC or a Mac with OSX.

Well, it depends what you mean by serious work. I have all the tools at my disposal under MorphOS to set up my accounts, balance sheet, and do my tax returns as a self-employed person (I start trading next month), read pdfs (mostly), have full office capabilities (via google docs), comprehensive multimedia support/editing, etc.

@Ferrelsl

Whatever floats your boat.

The only reason I now use Windows at all is to have a laptop, and only that because Linux power management sucks on my particular model.

MorphOS provides my media centre, internet portal, productivity both native and remote (googledocs), and pretty much everything else I need on a daily basis. Plus (the big winner) there's almost nothing extra running in the background that I _don't_ need. Plus, in 6-months time the system won't start slowing to a crawl requiring me to upgrade my hardware/reinstall (a la Windows).

There's also the annoyance factor: personally (ie this is my perception only, I do not expect you to share it) if I run up against a limitation under Windows I find it an annoyance to solve. If I run up against a limitation under MorphOS I find it interesting to figure out how to solve it. It appeals to the geek in me at about the right level.

Sure there are things I would like (usb iso mode to allow audio devices to function for one), but there are generally developments on the horizon (eg OWB, AMC, Helios to pull 3 out of the air), and it's genuinely rewarding to see it happen - there is a personal touch in knowing someone (usually a very small dedicated group who will never earn anything from it beyond pizza money) has succeeded at a difficult development challenge.
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)