Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What are the chances  (Read 467 times)

Description:

Offline scuzzb494Topic starter

What are the chances
« on: January 14, 2013, 12:19:49 AM »
I really had to stop buying stuff off Ebay back in April 2008 and trust me when I say I haven't bought one thing since that date. I have to say that other than one or two items I really am not needing anything else for the collection. Saying that I have always wanted to get my hands on an Amiga 1060. Anyway, last week in a moment of weakness I checked the listings and there on the first page was an Amiga 1060. And it arrived yesterday. I was chuffed to bits... And then tonight I thought, I would have another look and remarkably there was another item that I needed badly. And I won it. Man am I bad.

I gotta stop this. I spent all yesterday moving stuff around again to give me some room. And a couple of months ago I passed up a whole collection this guy wanted to give me. I just don't have the room. .... I must resist. Or not.

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
Re: What are the chances
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 01:05:45 AM »
Quote from: scuzzb494;722354
I really had to stop buying stuff off Ebay back in April 2008 and trust me when I say I haven't bought one thing since that date. I have to say that other than one or two items I really am not needing anything else for the collection. Saying that I have always wanted to get my hands on an Amiga 1060. Anyway, last week in a moment of weakness I checked the listings and there on the first page was an Amiga 1060. And it arrived yesterday. I was chuffed to bits... And then tonight I thought, I would have another look and remarkably there was another item that I needed badly. And I won it. Man am I bad.

I gotta stop this. I spent all yesterday moving stuff around again to give me some room. And a couple of months ago I passed up a whole collection this guy wanted to give me. I just don't have the room. .... I must resist. Or not.

Dude, I know the feeling. There was a period of about 5 years when I bought anything (Amiga) I fancied at a reasonable price, but it just developed into a huge pile of unfinished projects which were going nowhere... eventually I found I had to call it a day.
I found I had several thousand pounds worth of classic gear (two A4KTs loaded to the hilt with CSPPC, Deneb, Prometheus, etc, etc, etc) but it was just a big pile of unfinished projects which I never really used.. all of which could die at any point due to the age of the silicon. it was a psychological burden - and a physical one when it came to moving house again.
I decided to sell the lot - I needed the money for starting up my own business, and frankly it was a relief to get rid of it all: catharsis.

I'm now fairly minimalist in that regard: I still buy the things I want, but have a small cabinet with two drawers for my geeky-stuff. If it starts overspilling, it's time to get rid of the unused gear.

Having said that, I do have a Mac-mini for my video collection, a headless Efika + soundcard for audio, and Powerbook for controlling it all via VNC and running productivity-stuff (all running MorphOS). Through this approach I now have a tidier house, less of a burden of outstanding hardware projects, and get to actually use my 'Amigas' on a daily basis for everything - the only exception being my year-end accounts, where I find MSOffice on OSX is more practical.
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)