Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga QUICK repair recommendations needed  (Read 792 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaBrunoTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmigaBruno
Amiga QUICK repair recommendations needed
« on: March 29, 2022, 04:26:55 PM »
Unfortunately, my Amiga A1200 has been rained on in a freak accident! Since then I haven’t even dared to try turning it on.

I'm very careful, so I never put drinks on the same surface near computers. The rain came through a skylight in one room while I’d gone back to bed for a rest. It happened not long after I got a special tool to open may skylights for the first time. This meant I wasn't used to using them. The bedroom also has a skylight, but no rain fell on it because it must have been shielded by another storey of the building. If the rain came from the west, then it could have been blocked from the bedroom but not from the living room.

I didn’t hear any rain until I got out of bed and went back into the living room.

My A1200 wasn’t directly under the skylight when this happened and the rain seems to have fallen mainly or all onto the keyboard, but I’m not sure where it went. Apart from this, the RGB port was already broken.

I’ve never managed to completely remove all the RF shielding, so I can’t see exactly what the situation is. I think the PSU (from an Amiga A500 Plus) has also been affected in a separate incident where it actually rained through my roof, although the roof has since been repaired.

Amigakit seem to be a victim of their own success. The last time I dealt with them was in early 2020, when I ordered one of the then new 8Mb RAM upgrade cards and it took about two weeks to arrive instead of a few days which they claimed! After this, I feel that if I sent them my A1200 for repair, then I would have no way of knowing when I’d ever see it again!

Due to this, I feel I can’t risk sending my A1200 to Amigakit for repair. Can anyone recommend another company who could do the repairs quickly? Some names I’ve found recently are Analogic, Mutant Caterpillar, Pure Amiga, and Retropassion. Has anyone had an Amiga repaired by any of these companies recently? Obviously, out of all these companies Analogic is the longest standing, but I need some advice about how long any of them would take. I’m not interested in any comments such as “Amigakit is excellent! I sent my Amiga to them just before Christmas 2021 and they’ve assured me that they’ll send it back fully repaired next week”.

What should I do?

« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 04:35:47 PM by AmigaBruno »

Re: Amiga QUICK repair recommendations needed
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2022, 12:01:49 PM »
As no one has replied, I'm contacting all the companies I mentioned. There are also a couple of users I can contact for advice. One does repairs, while the other does upgrades, mods, and repairs.

Offline nbache

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2022, 01:44:38 PM »
In general, if your machine was not powered up during the incident, there's a good chance it is okay.

You just need to make sure it's completely dry and clean inside before attempting powering up again. Of course this can be a problem to check if you haven't managed to remove the RF shield. What is specifically the problem with that?

Best regards,

Niels

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2022, 02:09:49 PM »
Thanks! It's good to know that it's "probably OK" if it wasn't powered up at the time. One of the companies I've contacted have said the same thing. What about the A500 Plus PSU which may have been rained on?

As for the RF shielding not being removed, this is quite simple. I have unscrewed and undone part of the shielding to fit some upgrades. Unfortunately, this shielding is still fixed in the area near the ports. I can't work out what's holding it in place, so I can't remove it.

I'll try to post one of two pics showing the current state of this A1200 in this topic ASAP.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 02:10:47 PM by AmigaBruno »