Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Using an Amiga as your main, everyday computer?  (Read 3739 times)

Description:

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show all replies
Re: Using an Amiga as your main, everyday computer?
« on: January 26, 2011, 02:56:44 AM »
Quote from: Franko;609106
@ Runequester

This might sound a bit strange but having never been in a position where I would need to use a computer for my work, I'm just curious to know what sort of things someone who is required to use a computer at work actually needs to do at home with a computer in connection with their work... :)

Not personal details, just a general idea of why it's needed at home, as I've never known anyone personally who has to do this... :)

I would think MS Office, a lot of gimmicky functions that don't work on OpenOffice (not sure which as I make do with basic text atm) and maybe a specialty database program that is only written for Windows.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 03:26:14 AM »
No and it shouldn't matter. Have one main OS on one computer and a bunch of virtual machines and emulators. Sought of a brew your own thing.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 11:24:31 AM »
Quote from: TCMSLP;609240
My daily machine runs Linux.  I also have a single windows install which I need to run Cubase (music is another hobby of mine).  I could almost use my Amiga 1200 as a daily workstation but I find the lack of RTG the limiting factor.  I keep toying with the idea of towering, PCI busboard and RTG but the cost seems prohibitive.

My normal daily use is probably email, messenger, basic web browsing (quite often happy with text mode only!), ssh (to other boxes) and to a lesser extent image editing.   I imagine an RTG amiga could do most of what I needed; I could run an X server (or Amicygnix locally - if that's the right package name?) for any remaining tasks.

If anyone has a tower/busboard they'd like to sell to an enthusiast at non ebay prices ... let me know!

It's probably not worth towering. If Natami ever happens it will be a better upgraded Amiga.
Go Go Gadget Signature!