Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Where are the decent scifi series?  (Read 3004 times)

Description:

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
Re: Where are the decent scifi series?
« Reply #44 from previous page: June 16, 2004, 12:51:27 AM »
cecilia wrote:
THAT IS the reason I posted this link.

You could have a point---but since Hollywood doesn't advertise that its movies are accurate retellings, it is a weak one. Instead, movies are 'based on actual events'. Or 'the story comes to life on a screen near you'. There are a few more. You have to admit that the marketeer who thought those up was a genius at his profession.

If you want accuracy, you should seek out a different form of movie: a documentary :-). (And sometimes not even that, but the cold, hard facts written down in the scientific literature.)
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline KennyRTopic starter

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2004, 01:51:31 AM »
Cymric wrote:
I'm not sure I agree with this all the way. I think it is the other way around. My girlfriend and I had a little discussion about theater admission fares after seeing the visually spectacular but storywise extremely weak Van Helsing. She remarked people want to be entertained after a stressful day---and entertainment rules out engaging your brain in difficult stories and Deep Thought About Life's Truths. I think she has a point. Hollywood cares a lot about this and knows the difference like no other. (They make billions of dollars out of it, don't they?)

I think the "people only want dumb entertainment" mantra is a rather empty one. People are usually portrayed en-mass as a non-discriminating lowest common denominator mob, who will suck up any rubbish as long as it has enough special effects. Make unoriginal crap, hype it, show it, get the money. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Yet this doesn't seem to be always true. The new Matrix movies, for instance, and the new Star Wars ones - it didn't take film critics for people to judge those as crap. Could it be that even tired, working people want more than boom boom bang bang? These films were successes, but only because of hype. No-one will remember them fondly.

Without going to the other end of the scale and believing everyone will appreciate films like Solyaris and 2001: A Space Odyssey, or god forbid those artsy fartsy films (in my view usually pretentious, not clever), it does indeed seem like people do appreciate good scifi. This appreciation often seems to translate into pure dollars. In the case of Jackson's Lord of the Rings, even with the maimed story, the films are a massive commercial success.

Star Trek viewing figures have crashed, despite the obvious masturbation-bait to desperately grab more. Unoriginality and banality are directly to blame. Seems the masses do actually know good sci-fi when they know it - at least, "okay" sci-fi. :) Star Trek is tired and shows it, and people do notice. Even 14 year olds. :)

Offline Kraftwerk

• Show only replies by Kraftwerk
    • http://withers.gmxhome.de/
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2004, 01:58:50 PM »
If you want something a bit darker and offbeat than the rest, try LEXX: The Dark Zone

I love it :)

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2004, 08:56:59 PM »
Hum,
the best thing recently i`ve watched has been "Mystery Science Theater 3000"...

(Stupid link)

Anybody else watch it?

(Ahh, better link)

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2004, 09:17:20 PM »
yes, i do love MST. there's nothing quite as fun as a really BAD movie! :lol:
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2004, 09:17:37 PM »

blobrana wrote:
Hum,
the best thing recently i`ve watched has been "Mystery Science Theater 3000"...

If it were on here ever, I've only ever seen a feature-length one I think, it was pretty funny.

Offline Turambar

• Show only replies by Turambar
    • http://gentleman-bastards.com/
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2004, 10:02:43 PM »
They used to show it on the sci-fi channel all the time, i think it got cancelled about the time digital came around. Oh and as for good sci-fi im having a hard enough time finding any sci-fi on tv, its all cop and forensic shows.

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2004, 10:57:08 PM »
Btw, if anyone does see MST3k on UK television, please tell me!

(got Sky)