Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: FCEU V1.6 Released (New Zelda + MMC5 support added!!!)  (Read 5205 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
FCEU V1.6 Released (New Zelda + MMC5 support added!!!)
« on: February 10, 2015, 11:52:08 PM »
If any of you are Nintendo junkies, especially Zelda junkies, then I highly suggest checking out the latest FCEU release!
Upon my request, Kelly has been kind enough to look into FCEU and figure out why the latest rom hack for The Legend of Zelda, titled, Zelda - The Legend of Link, didn't work.

As it turns out, FCEU was lacking MMC5 support which this particular ROM hack was making full use of. Because of this, the game would not load, but now it loads and saves to the virtual battery just fine.

On top of being able to play this UTTERLY amazing rom hack, you "should" now also be able to enjoy other MMC5 dependent games such as Castlevania III, Gemfire, Gunsight, Just Breed, L'Emperuer , Laser Invasion, Metal Slader Glory, Nobunaga's Ambition 2, Romance of the Three Kingdoms 2, Uncharted Waters, and everyone's favorite, Barbie!

FCEU Download: http://members.shaw.ca/realstar/

Legend of Link (requires an original Zelda PRG0 rom): http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2136/

More about Legend of Link: http://acmlm.kafuka.org/board/thread.php?id=7308&page=1
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
Re: FCEU V1.6 Released (New Zelda + MMC5 support added!!!)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 02:40:19 AM »
Interesting.
Given FCEU's accuracy goal I'm surprised to hear there was an unsupported mapper still.

Personally I've never been a Nintendo fan. Not to say I dislike the machines, but pretty much everything they've released has something about it that I've disliked. Graphics for Nintendo systems for example,... Ive never really liked the look. NES is barely an upgrade from the Spectrum, and Snes only adds extra color and hardware tricks (obscenely low resolution graphics, even for its time). Then the N64 came along, and that looked worse than the Snes at times. Worst 3d image quality ever.

Some good games, but there's just something about Nintendo machines that's been consistent all along, and although I cant really articulate what that something is, I don't like it. Maybe it's the feel, maybe the look, .... whatever it is it's remained all along. Seems to polarise people though.

On a related note (albeit sidebar), I only just last night found out about  the NES game "Sweet Home".
Essentially a precursor to the Resident Evil games. In fact it seems Resident Evil started life as a remake. Although there's differences, there's definitely enough similarities to show R.E's legacy.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 03:34:30 AM »
Honestly, as big a Nintendo fan I have grown into over the years, I do not like the NES either. Though in the last generation the chips they began to put into the carts helped matters a lot. For example, Zelda originally ran on Mapper 1, this hack (with new code) uses Mapper 5. This is like a hyrbid between Gameboy Zelda and SNES Zelda.

As for SNES, I loved it, as even the Genesis, TurboGFX, and Neo-Geo were quirky in their own right. I love the fabulous four as a whole in fact! 8-bit though, I preferred the SMS.

FCEU has went to C++, and this port is based on some other code that is strictly C and lacks the mappers that the other variant has, including the LUA script support. This is why FCEU on AROS lacks too, same for the Wii port, etc.

Anyhow, for a moment, put your bias aside, and play Legend of Link. That is if you like the Zelda series, and like to see how utterly far Rom hacking has gone.

Speaking of which, someone is tweaking the holy crap outta the old Super Mario Engine. Why, I don't know, we got the Super Mario 3 engine, but wow!!!

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,17143.0.html

Quote from: fishy_fiz;783598
Interesting.
Given FCEU's accuracy goal I'm surprised to hear there was an unsupported mapper still.

Personally I've never been a Nintendo fan. Not to say I dislike the machines, but pretty much everything they've released has something about it that I've disliked. Graphics for Nintendo systems for example,... Ive never really liked the look. NES is barely an upgrade from the Spectrum, and Snes only adds extra color and hardware tricks (obscenely low resolution graphics, even for its time). Then the N64 came along, and that looked worse than the Snes at times. Worst 3d image quality ever.

Some good games, but there's just something about Nintendo machines that's been consistent all along, and although I cant really articulate what that something is, I don't like it. Maybe it's the feel, maybe the look, .... whatever it is it's remained all along. Seems to polarise people though.

On a related note (albeit sidebar), I only just last night found out about  the NES game "Sweet Home".
Essentially a precursor to the Resident Evil games. In fact it seems Resident Evil started life as a remake. Although there's differences, there's definitely enough similarities to show R.E's legacy.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 06:21:48 AM »
Ive been playing a bunch of NES games on my PSP lately. Seems there's more ROM hacks than official titles these days  :-) Would be interesting to find the origins of some of them. Some I think are unofficial pirate ROMs, but lord knows where others have stemmed from. Stuff like Final Fight3, Earthworm Jim, Mortal Kombat 2/3,..... none are official games, but they surely can't be hacks of other ROMs.

That w.i.p. SMB hack looks quite interesting. It's pretty cool what some people get up to in their spare time.

While I've been playing quite a few NES games, Im on a bit of an SMS kick at the moment. Graphically it's a pretty nice 8bit console. At times it even rivals the Amiga (16 colors for background tiles, plus 16 extra colors for hardware sprites (plus a few modes to allow 64 colors onscreen at once).
Would be interesting to see what people come up with nowadays for older systems like these. While the capability of these machines hasn't increased over time, development tools and so on have. I've got a bunch of SMS graphics that I've been doing, and not to toot my own horn, but they look better than most of what was around during it's heyday.
Shame the SMS ROM hacking scene isn't as big as that of the NES.

And by the way, "Home Sweet" rocks  :-)
Manages to capture quite a bit of the Resident Evil atmosphere, but without the graphics.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 04:16:50 PM »
Oh ya, I think I forgot to mention, I have spent some time with Sweet Home, I've not beaten it yet, but it is by far one of the best unreleased NES titles ever! You are right, it is Res Evil with a graphical downgrade. Again proving that we don't need great graphics or a 3D view to pull off a well made game.

As for the SMS, there is a new Alex Kidd world editor that I hope gets used and used a lot. I always LOVED Alex Kidd!