Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: One unified OS for the future?  (Read 8503 times)

Description:

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
One unified OS for the future?
« on: November 14, 2014, 09:26:43 PM »
I am moving the forum post below to this thread, as it did not belong in the thread it was placed in by the original poster and had contributed to that thread going further "Off Topic".

Originally posted by matt3k

I have always encouraged and commented positively concerning Hyperion  and Trevor and it is well deserved. From a business standpoint his  investment and return on investment, this is certainly a labor of love  and I'm grateful for it.  How many guys would pony up real dollars  knowing that they will never make real money at it for the benefit of a  community?  Heck, I would put that kind of money in mutual funds and  collect an effortless return and not risk it in a fractured community  and all the issues with hardware and software development...

I'm not into bashing the few guys left willing to support the community.   I bet Trevor and the gang are reasonable people, PM them privately to  work this out...

IMHO,

Hyperion should consider dropping AOS4.x and move to MOS, it would solve  some of the problems we have been having and unify the community under  one banner.

MOS is really many country miles ahead at this point and they have a  proven track record of delivery, and a larger user base.  Having the one  OS would help the software developers and help get rid of this  pointless bickering.  If they want to rebrand MOS as AOS... fine... I  really don't care what they call it.  I'm just so tired of the back and  forth.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

• Lifetime Member
Re: One unified OS for the future?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 09:32:13 PM »
Another moved forum post which is a reply to the original post

originally posted by spirantho

Quote from: matt3k;777351
MOS is really many country miles ahead at this point

In what way? I see the opposite.

I would be very upset, having seen the progress that's been made behind the scenes on OS 4, if we went back to MorphOS.

However, this shouldn't turn into a red vs. blue debate (again) but  please just realise that MorphOS is NOT far ahead of OS 4 (having used  and developed on both), and throwing away all the good work that  Hyperion have done (much of which has never been seen because the end  results have not yet been released) would be a massive mistake.

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 09:35:29 PM »
Yet another reply moved to this thread.

Originally posted by matt3k

I don't want to turn this into an MOS vs AOS session either.

To be fair and not make it my thoughts, I will give you the comments of  an AOS (NOT MOS) user who is a friend of mine and give you his comments  the last time he used MOS when he was over:

He mentioned:
Ambient being much more developed than workbench in many areas from cohesion of the OS to better file management.
Speed and performance of the system overall (regular usage, gaming, USB) was much better in MOS.
Available applications and application performance for MOS especially OWC and mplayer made a huge difference for him.

Remember these are from an AOS Users comments and not mine.  I'm not  here to bash AOS at all, and I realize that many users who bought AOS  would be miffed initially, the end result would help the whole  community.  You can't make everyone happy in life, but as I said IMHO  this would make sense to me and end the war and perhaps even attract  more people.  

Again this is my opinion and a longshot at best, but it is the way I see it...

Added:
LOL I found a OSNews article that illustrated some of my friends observations.
http://www.osnews.com/story/21977/Benchmarks_AmigaOS_4_1_vs_MorphOS_2_3

Quote from: spirantho;777356
In what way? I see the opposite.

I would be very upset, having seen the progress that's been made behind the scenes on OS 4, if we went back to MorphOS.

However, this shouldn't turn into a red vs. blue debate (again) but  please just realise that MorphOS is NOT far ahead of OS 4 (having used  and developed on both), and throwing away all the good work that  Hyperion have done (much of which has never been seen because the end  results have not yet been released) would be a massive mistake.

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 09:38:01 PM »
And another reply moved to this thread.

Originally posted by spirantho

I don't agree with his comments. :)

That's all I'll say, otherwise it'll all go red vs. blue again - but  that osnews article is misleading because for one thing MOS devs had  more information than AmigaOS devs about the Peg-II, and also because  the osnews article is measuring speed differences between MorphOS 2.3  and AmigaOS 4.1 beta - it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to know that comparing a beta to a mature 4-year old product is a little unfair. :)

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 09:40:09 PM »
And another

Originally posted by Matt3k

We are all on the same team here :).

That was my friends observations, and it is ok that you don't agree with him.  I do agree and others here do...

I would say that the same difference would be similar with the latest iterations of the OS's.

If the reverse was true, I would be annoyed that I invested in a product  that was being replaced by the other.  But at some point I would enjoy  the benefits and move on...

This community is FAR too small for both MOS and AOS.  If we want to  attract better/more software development it is hard to deny that having  one OS as the standard would be a big step forward.

Quote from: spirantho;777369
I don't agree with his comments. :)

That's all I'll say, otherwise it'll all go red vs. blue again - but  that osnews article is misleading because for one thing MOS devs had  more information than AmigaOS devs about the Peg-II, and also because  the osnews article is measuring speed differences between MorphOS 2.3  and AmigaOS 4.1 beta - it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to know that comparing a beta to a mature 4-year old product is a little unfair. :)

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 09:42:25 PM »
Last post to be moved into this thread from the other thread (I hope).  There has to be an easier way to move forum posts, so I will try to find that method and use it next time.  Sorry if this thread is confusing due to the method used to move the off topic comments here.

Originally posted by spirantho

Quote from: matt3k;777370
We are all on the same team here :).

That's the main thing. :)  My experiences are entirely different to yours, but we're coming at  them from different angles, I think. I just get really annoyed when  people say one OS is "better" than the other, it's just not that simple.
So, we agree to disagree, and move on with enjoying our OS's and pushing  both of them forward. This is too small a community for disagreement,  we need to unite.

AmigaOS, MorphOS and AROS forever! :)

Offline Yasu

• Show only replies by Yasu
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 09:46:01 PM »
Let's stop advocate stuff that simply aint gonna happen. It's better to strive for better cooperation in areas we actually have a shot at succeeding.

Offline Niding

• Show only replies by Niding
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 09:49:49 PM »
Quote from: Yasu;777400
Let's stop advocate stuff that simply aint gonna happen. It's better to strive for better cooperation in areas we actually have a shot at succeeding.

+1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 09:57:16 PM »
Now for my own comments on this topic.

It will never happen!  At this point in time I am not convinced that it would be the best thing for us even if it could be accomplished, but I understand the desire to have our limited resources all working on the same OS, to improve the speed of progress.  It is just not possible, unless one person or group could buy out all of the groups, and even then there is no guarantee that the community would follow the new path and decisions made by this one person or group who had gotten control of all existing Amiga and Amiga inspired platforms.

There are too many differences of opinions on which direction is the best for any one of those choices to be considered the ONLY right choice for all of us.  Each choice has it's own life now, it's own user base (though many users are involved in more than one of these choices), it's own developers, and it's own vision for the future.

Nice dream, but a waste of time dreaming of something that can never happen.

Edit: Yasu, you beat me to the punch.

Offline Everblue

• Show only replies by Everblue
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 09:58:00 PM »
Maybe not a unified OS, but why not a unified AmiStore, with Morphos/AmigaOS versions of every program?

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 10:00:52 PM »
Quote from: Everblue;777404
Maybe not a unified OS, but why not a unified AmiStore, with Morphos/AmigaOS versions of every program?

That already exists as far as I know, but it is up to each individual developer to decide which platforms to support, or to allow others to port his work to different platforms than the one(s) he has written his work for.

Offline Paulie85

• Show only replies by Paulie85
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 10:02:22 PM »
One OS to them all
One OS to find them
One OS to bring them all
And in the darkness bind them...

Sorry I've been drinking

Offline Niding

• Show only replies by Niding
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 10:22:52 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;777405
That already exists as far as I know, but it is up to each individual developer to decide which platforms to support, or to allow others to port his work to different platforms than the one(s) he has written his work for.

INDIEGO Appstore seems to cather for all platforms. AmigaStore focuses 100% on AOS.
Ill let people with expirience with INDIEGO Appstore give details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FhieAkeh2M&list=UUUzG5OUZ3TNHSzjab9ENVjg

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 10:25:44 PM »
Not being an NG user or a programmer, I'm wondering, how hard is it to code an application that works under both OS4/MorphOS? That I see different versions for things on Aminet is about the most knowledge I have on the subject. From what I understand, they both can run non hardware-banging 3.1 compatible applications natively, correct? And both can run native Amiga hardware-banging code through some form of JIT compiler or built-in UAE, correct? So beyond that, how difficult is it to write things to run on both?
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 10:33:30 PM »
Quote from: Niding;777411
INDIEGO Appstore seems to cather for all platforms. AmigaStore focuses 100% on AOS.
Ill let people with expirience with INDIEGO Appstore give details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FhieAkeh2M&list=UUUzG5OUZ3TNHSzjab9ENVjg

My mistake, I thought that AmiStore was going to support all developers of any Amiga or Amiga inspired platform.  I'll have to check into it more closely and see if it actually prohibits developers of software for other platform to submit their programs for sale on the site.  Since AmiStore is an application that only runs on AmigaOS4.x, it does not make much sense to market software for other platforms from that store.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 10:39:12 PM by amigadave »