Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS noob. School me!  (Read 26943 times)

Description:

Offline HeiroglyphTopic starter

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
MorphOS noob. School me!
« on: September 25, 2014, 06:52:34 AM »
I got an amazing deal on a dual 2GHz G5 with 3GB RAM and a monitor, so I'm checking out MorphOS for the first time.

I know next to nothing about MorphOS (long time Classic Amiga user though), but I hope to give some constructive feedback from the perspective of a noob while I learn.

I got it installed and poked around, but that's about it. I did google to find out that OWB was a web browser (not obvious at all) and even managed to play YouTube videos, which surprised the hell out of me!

I have a million and one questions and see next to nothing on their website about what to do after you get it installed and paid for.

What can I expect to run on the system? I've heard some system friendly Amiga 68k software works, but that's about all I know.

What are some common things that I will want to install?

When it installed, it made one 2GB and one 127GB partition. Can I use the rest of the drive safely?

Is Samba available and how horrific is the setup? (I had it working as both client and server back in the 90's, but I'm too old for that anymore)

Whatcha got for my new adventure?

Offline KimmoK

• Show only replies by KimmoK
Re: MorphOS noob. School me!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 07:08:18 AM »
Quote from: Heiroglyph;773839

I'm on the same boat, noob with MorphOS.  Looks good, but a lot to learn.

a few links to look:
http://library.morphzone.info/Main_Page
http://library.morphzone.info/Links#Software
http://morphosuser.wordpress.com/

(hoping to have fun and be productive with 68k & aos4 & multiple morphOS systems ... also if I manage to get AROS running well on one of my 10 x86 devices one day, will use it as well)

(((not exactly on topic, but ... I would love to see AROS distros for old HW  and/or for HW without 3D. Currently it seems distros have a lot of stuff that simply crash the system. ... Yes... buying prebuilt  AROS system would be the solution for 300eur or so. For memory refresh, what's the recommended/official forum for AROS talk/support?)))
- KimmoK
// Windows will never catch us now.
// The multicolor AmigaFUTURE IS NOW !! :crazy:

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 07:15:00 AM »
Quote from: KimmoK;773840
I'm on the same boat, noob with MorphOS.  Looks good, but a lot to learn.

Yeah, I'm super impressed with the presentation so far.

The install was smooth and simple, but I removed the Mac hard drive just out of paranoia. I guess I'll need to figure out dual booting at some point.

Thanks for the links

Offline Rob

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 08:55:25 AM »
Most system friendly 68k software works.  Just try and see what does and doesn't.  There's also a JIT enabled UAE port for MorphOS too so you should get a decent turn of speed out of hardware banging software too.

http://morphos-files.net/index2.php

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 11:00:26 AM »
If you want a simple starting point (with Samba all set up for you).  Install Chrysalis Pack, gives you loads of programs too:

http://www.warmup-asso.org/download/pack/chrysalis.iso

Download, right click on it and select Mount, then run.

Offline Yasu

• Show only replies by Yasu
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 02:30:33 PM »
If you need some hints and tips, please tell me. I don't really know anymore what is new and unusual for a classic user. If there is something I can write about on my blog, I will. It is geared torwards new and inexperienced users like myself :)

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 04:05:40 PM »
Quote from: Yasu;773861
If you need some hints and tips, please tell me. I don't really know anymore what is new and unusual for a classic user. If there is something I can write about on my blog, I will. It is geared torwards new and inexperienced users like myself :)

Kimmok: Those links are a really good starting point, thanks. I even bumped into Yasu's blog and spent a long time there. Good stuff! I definitely need to subscribe.

Rob: UAE is definitely on my list. I didn't realize there was a JIT yet.

danwood: Is Chrysalis Pack a newer version of Pack Ultimate that I've seen mentioned elsewhere or something different?

Once I get a pretty good setup configured I can't wait to get the SDK installed and start developing on it.  I think I might be able to ditch the Windows/WinUAE setup I've been working with previously plus test the 68k Amiga executable directly on MorphOS.

This may be a little off topic, but I never realized how much like Amithlon MorphOS can be. It's not x86, but other than that, it seems like it will fill the same gap for me.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions later tonight when I can get back in front of it.

Oh, nobody answered the question about how much of my hard drive I can use. What are the limitations?

Offline trekiej

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 04:15:12 PM »
Here is an iso to download.

http://www.morphos-team.net/downloads
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 04:15:44 PM by trekiej »
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 04:41:23 PM »
Quote from: trekiej;773870
Here is an iso to download.

http://www.morphos-team.net/downloads

Thanks, but I installed it before I posted.

Now I'm just testing the waters before I decide to register it or not.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to though.

Offline Yasu

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 04:51:58 PM »
I'm not really sure what you mean by "use the redt of the drive safely". FFS is really stable and you can make as many partitions as you like. FFS can handle up to 127 GB.

I would recommend though that you make your system drive a little bigger. Like 10 GB just in case. I myself have 50 GB, but that's because I like to have my programs in my SYS drive. It let the HDD not having to jump around all the time.

Pach Chrysalis is the same as Pack Ultimate. I like it a lot, even if it's not always reliable. But you also need to get Grunch. It's probably the most important program for MorphOS there is :)

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 05:09:24 PM »
Quote from: Yasu;773873
I'm not really sure what you mean by "use the redt of the drive safely". FFS is really stable and you can make as many partitions as you like. FFS can handle up to 127 GB.

The smallest SATA drive I found in my pile of parts was 250GB and the installer defaulted to a 2GB and a 127GB partition, leaving the rest unused.

I know that on real Amigas, you can lose data if you exceed the limitations of the controller, driver or filesystem so I left it at that.

Can I add another partition without losing data?

What filesystems work best with MorphOS?

Can I use a larger drive and if so, how big can it handle?

What are the limitations on the size of files? I work in video, so I've got single video files my home NAS that are over 40GB each and might want to play one some day.

I would recommend though that you make your system drive a little bigger. Like 10 GB just in case. I myself have 50 GB, but that's because I like to have my programs in my SYS drive. It let the HDD not having to jump around all the time.

2GB did seem a little small, but it suggested 2GB unless you knew what you were doing. I didn't ;)

Pach Chrysalis is the same as Pack Ultimate. I like it a lot, even if it's not always reliable. But you also need to get Grunch. It's probably the most important program for MorphOS there is :)

Grunch is that package manager you mentioned in your blog, right? That did seem like a nice thing to have.

How is it not always reliable?

Thanks,
John

Offline Yasu

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 05:33:28 PM »
1. Yes, you can use the unused space with HDToolbox. No limitations AFAIK.

2. The standard FFS works best. But you can also read and write other standard formats like FAT32 without problem. You can also read NTFS, but not write. There is a way to use larger partitions by using iceFS but it's still not reliable so I don't recommend it.

3. 2 GB used to be the limitation with FFS, but I think it can handle bigger nowadays. Not sure though.

4. You can read big USB HDD drives if you want to watch the movies.

5. It does, but I still think 2 GB isn't enough. So I recommend a reinstall :)

6. Pack Chrysalis makes a lot of changes and tweaks that doesn't always work well. But I still recommend it for new users.

7. Yep, that's Grunch :)

Offline danwood

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 07:00:16 PM »
Quote from: Heiroglyph;773869
danwood: Is Chrysalis Pack a newer version of Pack Ultimate that I've seen mentioned elsewhere?

Yes, it has pretty much all the must-have Morphos software included, all set up for you.  Including Grunch, one click install.

Offline danwood

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 07:02:28 PM »
Quote from: Yasu;773877

6. Pack Chrysalis makes a lot of changes and tweaks that doesn't always work well. But I still recommend it for new users.

I've never had any problems with it.  In the latest version he's stopped changing as many Ambient settings etc. so it should be a lot better, it's mainly just the software set-up now.

Offline Yasu

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 07:15:50 PM »
@danwood

Good move! The 3.5 version had a lot of issues so it's good that is fixed. My installation is from 3.2 and I've only updated with Grunch since :)