Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Make ADF of Amiga partitions  (Read 2456 times)

Description:

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: Make ADF of Amiga partitions
« Reply #14 from previous page: December 29, 2013, 02:38:42 AM »
Quote from: UK-Robbie;755649
But i did not know if i can fit all my files into a big ADF image file for the 3 partitions, or are they fix size of a floppy disk?

Seriously, forget about ADF.  It's a disk image.  Floppy disk only.  I think they can go up to 1.76MB, for Amiga HD disks.  You can't make an ADF of an entire hard drive.  If you did it would be dozens, or hundreds of megabytes.  It's not like .zip on a PC, it's a fixed file size format for a specific purpose (floppy disks).  If you did want to make a single, big archive of your Amiga hard disk, you'd probably want to use LHA, or one of the Amiga archiving utilities.  But not ADF.  :D
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline UK-RobbieTopic starter

• Show only replies by UK-Robbie
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 02:51:45 AM »
Ok forget ADF.. BANG It"S GONE :pint:

May i ask anyway on what is the biggest ADF image size.
Only like to know that's all!

Is it anything like 1.44mb or less then that?
As some games as got 3 to 5 disks, did not know if the biggest ADF image size can fit all of them into one ADF image?

I'm sorry for sounding like a pain in the *** :destroy:

And thank you all very much for all your help.

------

Update i miss read what you lass put and thank you for the info :-)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 02:59:28 AM by UK-Robbie »

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 02:53:54 AM »
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2013, 02:59:42 AM »
Thank you :-)
That's very helpful as i did know that a ADF is a floppy image but did not know on what size it can go up to as it's a file image and not a floppy disk.
One more thing was that i have seen HDF images before but never used them as my SD Emulator don't let me use them only ADF.

But i have seen HDF image files in PC Amiga emulators and only got back in my head when somebody on here put down what they are.

So again thank you all for your help :-)
I will try and find that CF Adapter .
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 03:07:56 AM by UK-Robbie »

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 10:01:05 PM »
Quote from: UK-Robbie;755627
Hello,
I'm looking for away on backing up my Amiga CF card partitions that as loads of games and programs on it. I like to back it up so i can reinstall the ADF files if anything go wrong.

I have got SD Floppy Emulator Rev C installed inside my Amiga that i can use to reinstall any games from the ADF files.

Any body know of any programs that will let me do this?
I do have this Amiga to PC link and program that will let me make ADF files but it ends up crashing when doing it.

Am looking for any ADF program so i can make it into a HFE file.

Thank you

I'm not sure why you want to make ADFs due to the size limitation. Perhaps I'm just not understanding what you are trying to do, but I think you may want to use a HDF (Hard Drive File)

Why not create a HDF under UAE the same size as your physical partition you want to backup then you can just mount the CF under UAE and use AmigaDOS to copy all files over to the HDF. example "copy CFHD0: VDH0: all"

then for the most part if your amiga CF ever becomes corrupt/damaged you can reverse the  process and restore the corrupt partition(s).

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2013, 10:19:33 PM »
Quote from: bbond007;755691
I'm not sure why you want to make ADFs due to the size limitation. Perhaps I'm just not understanding what you are trying to do, but I think you may want to use a HDF (Hard Drive File)

Why not create a HDF under UAE the same size as your physical partition you want to backup then you can just mount the CF under UAE and use AmigaDOS to copy all files over to the HDF. example "copy CFHD0: VDH0: all"

then for the most part if your amiga CF ever becomes corrupt/damaged you can reverse the  process and restore the corrupt partition(s).

Is it me or is he a little bit obsessed with ADF? I have never read that many word "ADF" in a post in this forum than this post here. Let me count how many times ADF is being mentioned here? I will keep you posted with the update!

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2013, 10:21:45 PM »
24 times ADF being mentioned

Offline nicholas

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 10:38:01 PM »
The best way to backup your partitions is to create an LHA archive.

See here for easy to follow instructions. http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=673448&postcount=2

Once you've created the image you can transfer it to your PC/Mac for storage.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 11:08:41 PM »
Hey thank you all for the replys!!!
As you may know about now that this post is old news and i have backed up my files fine. :D
Somebody as told me all about file formats so now i know!
HDF to ADF for somebody that don't know what it is at the time.

Is not obsessed!!!

AmigaClassicRule "obsessed with ADF" You are for real right?

Stop being so rude to people.

Thank you
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 11:14:21 PM by UK-Robbie »

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2013, 12:07:19 AM »
What i was asking about before anybody starts going on about it! :laugh1:
I was looking for away on backing up my files of my partitons so i can have a backup.
I don't know a lot about Amigas in file formats and did not know what i was trying to do will work as i have got this SD emulator.
I did know that a floppy image is called "ADF", but i did not know what SIZE that the image file can go up to!!!
As i know you can make your own with some programs. I have got one on my Windows PC that will let you make your own.

Now i know that it's a Floppy disk size i can stop asking :quickdraw:

I did know that a hard drive image is a HDF image but never played with them only on Amiga emulators years ago.

I'm still learning Amiga and still love playing on them, use to have one when i was a kid. :banana:

So sorry for all the pain i have given you all and thank you for your help ;)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 12:10:30 AM by UK-Robbie »

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2013, 07:06:10 AM »
I used QuarterBack to back up my HD's a while back with no problem at all. Even fixed a few dmaged blocks on them before backing them up.
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel: