Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Make ADF of Amiga partitions  (Read 2457 times)

Description:

Offline UK-RobbieTopic starter

• Show only replies by UK-Robbie
Make ADF of Amiga partitions
« on: December 28, 2013, 09:43:45 PM »
Hello,
I'm looking for away on backing up my Amiga CF card partitions that as loads of games and programs on it. I like to back it up so i can reinstall the ADF files if anything go wrong.

I have got SD Floppy Emulator Rev C installed inside my Amiga that i can use to reinstall any games from the ADF files.

Any body know of any programs that will let me do this?
I do have this Amiga to PC link and program that will let me make ADF files but it ends up crashing when doing it.

Am looking for any ADF program so i can make it into a HFE file.

Thank you

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: Make ADF of Amiga partitions
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 10:11:12 PM »
Why not just use a regular backup utility to back up the entire partition?
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 10:26:56 PM »
Can you do stuff like that in workbench or is there some program. I like to make a clone of my partitions.

Thank you

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 10:52:33 PM »
What i'm trying to do is make a ADF file of all my Partitions on the CF card so i can back it up on my Mac so i know i have a copy.

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 11:19:32 PM »
Quote from: UK-Robbie;755631
Can you do stuff like that in workbench or is there some program. I like to make a clone of my partitions.

Thank you

Wouldn't the easiest solution to clone your partition(s)?

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 11:33:17 PM »
This is what i'm trying to do, but how and what program to use?
The only tool i have is amiga forever link program.

I did not know if there is any program or anyway on making a clone of my partitions to a ADF file.

Thank you

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 12:16:53 AM »
Quote from: UK-Robbie;755635
This is what i'm trying to do, but how and what program to use?
The only tool i have is amiga forever link program.

I did not know if there is any program or anyway on making a clone of my partitions to a ADF file.

Thank you

You got it all wrong!! You do not partition your Amiga hard drive to ADF file that is impossible. It is like saying, hey guys...I am going to partition my Windows HD of 1 TB to a disk image of 1.44 Mb and I am going to put all the partitions and information of 1 TB into a single floppy disk of 1.44 MB. You can see the impossibility on that.

ADF = Amiga Disk File. It can only hold 880 KB. Even if your HD is 20 MB maximum there is no way you can put 20 MB into 880 ADF disk image.

What you want to do...is put it into a HDF image file....

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 12:17:40 AM »
@UK-Robbie

Might you happen to already own AmigaKit's EasyADF data transfer kit?

It's makes backups a breeze! You can backup an entire "Disk", SYS or any directory to an LHA file. I also have USB in my A1200 so I just backup to a USB drive. Although the process bombs out when I try to backup my entire "work" drive that includeds hundreds of WHDLoad games.

They are out of stock at the moment but since you're in the UK (I presume from your screen name) maybe pick one up in the near future. Some of the features...

Transfer large amounts of files and data from a PC/laptop/Mac to your Amiga ¹
     Backup files on your Amiga hard disk- transfer them to a PC/laptop/Mac and burn to CD ²
   CF Digital Camera photos can be accessed with this versatile adapter.

Here's a link to the product page...

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=440

Hope this helps....  and welcome to Amiga.org!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 12:56:02 AM by gizmo350 »
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 12:26:41 AM »
ADFs are floppy disk images. I don't think you meant to back up to those. Easiest thing to do is get another drive and run
Code: [Select]
copy dh0:#? bu0:dh0bu/ ALL CLONEThat command will clone your DH0: partition to a directory called dh0bu on a disk called BU0:. If anything ever happens to your DH0: partition, just run the command the other way:
Code: [Select]
copy bu0:dh0bu/#? dh0: ALL CLONE
Make sure this other disk you're backing up to is Amiga-formatted, otherwise you'll lose the AmigaDOS protection bits. If it's not easy for you to attach another drive to your Amiga, you should probably stick the drive in a PC and do this through WinUAE.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 01:41:23 AM »
These other guys have it right. Back in the day Amiga's occasionally came with backup utilities. There was ABackup that I think came with 3.1, or Quarterback Tools, or some various utilities on Aminet that I forget the names of, etc. But honestly when I want to make a backup of my Amiga drives now, I just pop in a spare CF or SD card and use DirWork or Directory Opus or somesuch directory utility to make a copy of all the files onto the blank drive. If you have an A1200 you can backup your main drive onto a CF card in the PCMCIA port.  Easy!
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 02:16:42 AM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;755636
You got it all wrong!! You do not partition your Amiga hard drive to ADF file that is impossible. It is like saying, hey guys...I am going to partition my Windows HD of 1 TB to a disk image of 1.44 Mb and I am going to put all the partitions and information of 1 TB into a single floppy disk of 1.44 MB. You can see the impossibility on that.

ADF = Amiga Disk File. It can only hold 880 KB. Even if your HD is 20 MB maximum there is no way you can put 20 MB into 880 ADF disk image.

What you want to do...is put it into a HDF image file....

No what i'm saying is i won't to clone the files off all my partitions into a ADF file. So i have got a ADF file of game partition 1 & 2 and a copy of workbench to a ADF file.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 02:23:02 AM by UK-Robbie »

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 02:18:48 AM »
I will have a look into it!
I know a little bit about Amiga but for a old computer i'm still learning from this day. :laugh1:

Thank you very much all.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 02:41:12 AM by UK-Robbie »

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 02:22:46 AM »
Like Obi-wan said, "ADF is not the file format you're looking for."  ;)  Just clone the partition onto a separate device.  Done.

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 02:33:08 AM »
Thanks for the help.
I have got one of there's coming to think about it!
But i will have to find it.

Do i need to format the CF card in HDTools for workbench to see it or do i have to install some drivers?

Never got it working before so i put it to one side. lol

Coming to think about it again you are right AmigaClassicRule.
 That a ADF is a floppy image and a HDF is a hard drive image.

But i did not know if i can fit all my files into a big ADF image file for the 3 partitions or are they fix size of a floppy disk?

I was thinking of doing this as i can have a backup on my Mac and it's easy to copy files over from my SD Floppy Emulator Rev C.

Thank you

Again still learning :-)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 02:41:01 AM by UK-Robbie »

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 02:38:42 AM »
Quote from: UK-Robbie;755649
But i did not know if i can fit all my files into a big ADF image file for the 3 partitions, or are they fix size of a floppy disk?

Seriously, forget about ADF.  It's a disk image.  Floppy disk only.  I think they can go up to 1.76MB, for Amiga HD disks.  You can't make an ADF of an entire hard drive.  If you did it would be dozens, or hundreds of megabytes.  It's not like .zip on a PC, it's a fixed file size format for a specific purpose (floppy disks).  If you did want to make a single, big archive of your Amiga hard disk, you'd probably want to use LHA, or one of the Amiga archiving utilities.  But not ADF.  :D