Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Case Designer Faces Intimidation  (Read 40489 times)

Description:

Offline lsmart

• Show all replies
Re: Amiga Case Designer Faces Intimidation
« on: May 05, 2012, 11:11:46 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;691765
A public statement of perceived trademark infringement on the Internet is a takedown threat.

Trouble is: In thre US you have to go after everyone who uses your trademark, or courts can invalidate it entirely. That is why so many lawsuits on trademarks are happening, even if the offense is rather minor.

I think it is a benevolent comment. You shouldn't advertize with a brand you don't own. I would even refrain from calling it X500, because you get on Hyperion/Acube/X1000 turf.

That being said: The case looks great and deserves a great name! I'd call it the Guru Case(TM) and get my own sticker!

Offline lsmart

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 06:37:21 AM »
Quote from: koaftder;691842
That case is ugly as hell but I can appreciate the craftsmanship that went into it. At least it's in the spirit of what Commodore produced. You have to admit, with the exception of a few products, most of what Commodore made was not pleasing to the eye.

They say: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" :laughing:

Ugly commodore cases existed (PC 10, CD32, A600 IMO). I loved the design of the A1000 and C116 when they were new. The X500 case looks a bit like it is coming from a Sci-Fi movie like Buck Rodgers. It has a modern keyboard and will attract looks. Unfortunately the current desigs of monitors have a tendency to be black or silver, which - despite of Apples consistency to combine with white - simply isn`t pleasing my eye. But then again - see the Link above.

I`d propose sombebody design a cool monitor decoration system for those of us, who need it. We can`t all be black, can we?

Offline lsmart

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 11:03:03 PM »
Quote from: startup-sequence.bat;692651
Is there a difference? Are those modern editions of amiga os more capable than the original, or as capable as any popular os?

Is this a trick question? The answer is a bit complicated:

Amiga OS had a low overhead architecture and both MorphOS and AmigaOS4 are trying to keep this intact ... with varying degrees of success.

There is great software that hasn't been adequately replaced on other platforms and can only be run in emulation or the real Amiga.

Old Amigas can not easily produce or consume data formats that are common on current implementations of Linux, Mac OS, IOs and Windows, except when it is plain text. NG Amigas are far better in that respect. NG Amiga Hardware is dreadfully slow, even the X1000 is no match for a modern PC. G4 Macs perform worse than iPads.

So Amigas and NG Amigas are less capable than current PCs but very different in software. The original Amiga HW has a superior design compared to the NG Amigas, but suffer from their slow clock speeds and cacheless architecture.

The Amiga line of computers has ended and so will the NG Amiga line in about ten years. If you want to open a new line of computers and give the name Amiga to them - fine, but don`t fool yourself: branding something "Amiga" doesn't change the value of the product by one iota. So if you are selling vanilla PCs you have to face it: they are just PCs nothing more.

The honest way of selling them would be calling them "Amiga PC i7" or "ARM Amiga Windows Tablet", but I guess "Commodore PC i7" is the better name.

Offline lsmart

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 06:07:33 AM »
Quote from: startup-sequence.bat;692670
In that case, would you say that the original amiga hardware had a superior design to modern PCs ?

They are hard to compare. There was much more attention to detail and Amiga was highly original. But I think that's not the point.

The point is: Amiga never was about the brand. We would have loved it if it had been called the Atari 2000FX or IBM Junior for that matter.

Today the folks feel protective about the name, because that's all they have to find people who loved those machines too. If you use the name for something else it is hard for them to find what they are looking for.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 06:17:18 AM by lsmart »