Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: People are looking to create video game company  (Read 12702 times)

Description:

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: People are looking to create video game company
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2011, 11:35:52 AM »
Quote from: Thorham;668162
And don't forget that there's no proper variable system: You don't have to declare a damned thing and a variable's type is indicated by things such as $ for strings. The whole language smells of old 8 bit Basic interpreters.
That doesn't stop you writing good games... That just limits your ability to develop large maintainable projects with extensive colaboration... Oh, I see what you mean ;) x

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2011, 12:03:19 PM »
What will make or break this or any other prjoects is good/abd project management.

You will need specegfic tasks for spefic people, with strict deadlines etc.

Yes I can help coding.  I will just learn whatever language as we go along.  I can also code review, bug hunt etc etc.  Blitz I suppose would be best, as did some work Bliz on the PC years and years ago.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2011, 12:32:59 PM »
Quote from: JJ;668164
What will make or break this or any other prjoects is good/abd project management.

You will need specegfic tasks for spefic people, with strict deadlines etc.

Yes I can help coding.  I will just learn whatever language as we go along.  I can also code review, bug hunt etc etc.  Blitz I suppose would be best, as did some work Bliz on the PC years and years ago.
The PC version of Blitz it totally unlike the Amiga version... Just pointing this fact out :)

Im wondering what the precise goals of this project actually are?

If it's to write free games for the Amiga500 then perhaps blitz is the way to go.
If it is to write commercial games for classic Amigas in general... Then blitz and Asm would be a good choice.
If it is to write anything else... Then the only real choice is C + SDL ;)

Offline ajlwalker

• Show only replies by ajlwalker
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2011, 12:38:07 PM »
I'm really impressed and heartened by the enthusiasm in this thread.

I can't code for toffee.  (I did some pascal routines about 15 years ago).

So I can only help out the easy way, ie money.

If you need to raise some funds to get some hardware, books etc, then perhaps you can add a section on your website and those like me can chip in.

Good luck!

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2011, 01:41:18 PM »
Best of luck to you guys, this is how to keep the community alive.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2011, 04:16:58 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;668165
The PC version of Blitz it totally unlike the Amiga version... Just pointing this fact out :)

Im wondering what the precise goals of this project actually are?

If it's to write free games for the Amiga500 then perhaps blitz is the way to go.
If it is to write commercial games for classic Amigas in general... Then blitz and Asm would be a good choice.
If it is to write anything else... Then the only real choice is C + SDL ;)

Is it not ?

Shame I like blitz on the pc, its pretty good and supports custom types etc
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline AmitenTopic starter

• Show only replies by Amiten
    • http://amiftp.honor.es
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2011, 04:35:44 PM »
Hi all !

I am totally amazed and happy to see the motivation and response to all of you.

First of all I want to thank everyone for making my dream to go ahead.

Now I will explain how is the situation to the slings to start working in our great project of creating a software company for Amiga computers. :)

I created a website where all of the components who are to work in the projects can work together and share the task´s. its a open source Project Manager embebed in a Joomla site , it´s great the lot of posibilities we can do with this tecnology.

Now its a 70% complete so in soon we can start working! be patient ;)

I wanted the site is as simple as possible so that everyone can use it without a lot of headaches. (allways we can upgrade the Site depend of the needs we have)

At the moment there is not a Forum engine, but if all thinks is necesary I will add one to the site. probably (a Kunena one). any way in the Project Manager Engine Is a Discuss Table where we can use like a forum.

Rigth !! :) :)

meanwhile I finish the Site , probably this weekend all the Team can start WORKING!! :)

to all people who are interested in joining our project it´s necesary to do that:

Send an e-mail to amitensoftware@gmail.com
with this information:

E-mail (the e-mail account you gonna be use to register later on site)

User Name (the user name you gonna be use to register later on site)

Ocupation ( the the task or job that you think is going to play with the project, Ejem : Coder,Music or both )

Thanks again gentlemens, let's dreaming too strong to make this project a reality I assure you will not regret.

Best Regards And Amiga Forever!
Amiten.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 04:39:25 PM by Amiten »
Amiten TV - Amiga Channel
http://www.youtube.com/clubamiten

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2011, 05:10:19 PM »
Quote from: Cammy;668152

I also think we should get these guys onboard as well:

Lord Riton - Genius coder who has created the first 262,144 colour AGA 3D RPG, Quests of Nargoth.
Nooly - Amazing musician who composed some of the best mods in Tracker Hero.
Whose - The brilliant programmer who brought us AmiJeweled, one of the more recent commercial Amiga games.
Niels - Partners with Whose in Insane Software, the talented graphic artist who worked on AmiJeweled.
Franko - He's wild and wacky, but he's a brilliant 68k Assembly programmer with real Amiga dedication.
Michael Parent - An enthusiastic and clever graphic artist with a good understanding of the Amiga hardware and game ideas of his own.
sp_ - Master of C2P, fast 3D, graphical effects and 68k Assembly, working on ASM-Pro.
Siggy - An excellent Assembly coder who has already started working on a few retro arcade style games for the Amiga.

I'll post again when I have found links to more people I think we should contact, and I'm sure some of the others I had in mind will probably see this thread and post here anyway.

Hi Cammy,

Thanks for wanting to be part of the project,

I am thrilled to know that I can count on your collaboration and to being an exemplary Amiga USER. you gonna give much play in the team. :)

your recomendations of this people its fantastic because when more people are involved in the project more posibilities we have to take our ideas to fruition.

Contact if you can with theys and tell this thread.

Regards and Amiga Forever!
Amiten.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2011, 06:58:37 PM »
Quote from: JJ;668174
Is it not ?

Shame I like blitz on the pc, its pretty good and supports custom types etc
Yup, totally different... The Amiga version is actually more powerful due to it being more low level... That said the PC version uses DirectX so you have so much more powerful hardware to run on... swings and roundabouts :) Oh, then you have BlitzMax, which replaces the PC version, and offers greater type support and a degree of object oriented programming.

-Edit- I should add that the PC version of Blitz extended the idea of types with something more similar to Obj-C's dictionaries... and gets a lot of power from that!

Really it all pales in comparison to C/C++ (or my favourite Obj-C) with good support libraries... SDL was my I/O library for most of the last 10 years (before I moved to Cocoa on the iPhone).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 07:03:56 PM by bloodline »

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2011, 08:07:45 PM »
Quote from: JJ;668082
 But it does depend on the type of game.

If you were doing a turn based strategy game for instance, then blizt should be more than enough.

If you want to do more arcade type games, then unless you use ASM it will be slow and look crap.

You have this somewhat backwards.

A turn based strategy game uses more cpu power than an arcade game because it must do all the cpu things the arcade game does, plus run all kinds of complicated AI code that the arcade game does not have to do.

So in fact you should have said "If you want to do more strategy type games, then unless you use ASM it will be slow and look crap."
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2011, 08:12:14 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;668203
You have this somewhat backwards.

A turn based strategy game uses more cpu power than an arcade game because it must do all the cpu things the arcade game does, plus run all kinds of complicated AI code that the arcade game does not have to do.

So in fact you should have said "If you want to do more strategy type games, then unless you use ASM it will be slow and look crap."
You missed the point, with an Arcade game you have to complete all compute tasks within 1/50th of a second otherwise the screen update is jerky... With strategy games there is no real deadline to complete the compute tasks.

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2011, 08:42:09 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;668205
You missed the point, with an Arcade game you have to complete all compute tasks within 1/50th of a second
No.  Something like 99% of all Amiga arcade games do not finish their compute tasks within 1/50th of a second.  A lot of them run at 1/25th of a second.  Bad ones run at 1/12th of a second.

With strategy games there is no real deadline to complete the compute tasks.
Believe it or not, strategy games have realtime compute tasks and realtime gfx update tasks and realtime music tasks.  Really.  This is for real. :)
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2011, 08:54:02 PM »
Project Manager Site is now 85% complete.

So please the person who want to be in the Project please Send the information I ask, I need to check when new members Register on site to Activate account or not.

This is to have a minimum of security and control over people who go to work in the developments.

The countdown has begun :)

Regards and Amiga Forever.
Amiten.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2011, 09:01:48 PM »
A strategy style game doesnt rely on frame rates being anything like that of an arcade style game, they can get away with lower framerates without effecting gameplay. No need to split second timing or collision detection, moving graphics dont need to be updated nearly as often (and dont effect gameplay with lower framerates).

Something like Zool, a 2d shooter, a fighting game, etc. benefit much more from 1/50th of a second updates much more than a strategy game, where framerates can drop much lower without effecting gameplay at all.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 09:04:04 PM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2011, 09:11:16 PM »
@Amiten

nice effort. You could use TRAC or Redmine to manage the tasks.

Anyway you should define some points:
1.- Opensource or not?
2.- Target platforms (real Amigas/MorphOS/AROS/OS4.x)
2.1.- if the target is making a game for real Amigas would it be AGA or ECS?
2.2- What would be the minimum cpu configuration?*I ask because it's not the same doing a game for unexpanded A500/A1200 than an AGA+040/060 game.
3.- Free or not? I mean: is it a real company to make money that will have revenue and will pay salaries to its workers or is it a join effort to make games?
4.- Depending on the number of coders I would advise to use subversion/git to make working together easier. If just 1-2 coder per project it's not really mandatory (although with 2 it's more comfortable)
5.- Quite a lot of years ago there was a mailing list for game creators, I remember Yssing and me were in but I can't remember who was the administrator, perhaps he can write a short email to people who were in the mailing list to see if they have interest :-)
6.- Is the plan doing "portable" games that will also run on other platforms like Android/iPhone so some money is won? More or less like it was done with Fortis (MorphOS version is free).
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

« Reply #44 from previous page: November 17, 2011, 09:26:22 PM »
Hi @crumb

Thanks for interesting on my project,

A person like you will be cool to have in the Team ;)

For you ask of Comercial company the response is Yes and Not.

I tell you why.

in principle the idea is to create freeware games to make ourselves known to the public and also for our groups can practice to develop applications using the new website we are developing for the Project (Company if sound better). :)

In the future everything depends on the quality of programs we can make and the commitment of the coders, them we think about selling the Stuff.

The rest of your intelligent questions be debated by the Members of the Project in the new Project Manager Site. :)

Hope you can colaborate with us please check The thread to know all about the Proyect.

Best Regards and Amiga Forever.
Amiten