Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pro game artist looking for help/collaboration  (Read 9069 times)

Description:

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
Re: Pro game artist looking for help/collaboration
« on: November 01, 2011, 04:43:35 PM »
I wish you luck, but its a lot harder to find dedicated people who arent just dreamers on the amiga. Ive been trying to find people to collaborate with for 5-10 years (since commodore's demise) and all Ive ever found are people who are more interested in the "romantic" notion of games making and not so much the work itself. (Im a coder/gfx artist and muso).

I could be interested myself, but its not much fun to code what others already have preconceived in thier head. For collaberation to work on anything but something basic those involved need to agree on things from the ground up.

Apart from that though your thoughts seem to parallel mine pretty closely and Im definately interested in at least discussing this further with you.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 04:46:58 PM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 05:25:44 PM »
The Amigas "on paper" specs are quite different to what can be realised. For instance the 16 color per playfield (or 8 for ocs/ecs) limit is technically per scanline and palette registers can be changed multiple times. Hardware sprites are also more flexible than most people give them credit for. Even on ocs/ecs Ive had dozens of 16 color hardware sprites happy moving around (and this of course doubles for 2bit color sprites). AGA sprites are even more powerful (although have some restrictions that ocs/ecs dont too unfortunately, like it being nigh on impossible to have more than 1 16 colors 64 pixel wide sprite on a 4+ bit color screen without narrowing the screen (can multiplex that sprite though).

Anyway the point to all this I guess is a set of universal tools for accessing the amigas custom hardware is never going to get the most from the system. Use one trick and other things are closed off while other things are opened up, and so on and so forth.

In part I guess this is why demo scene coders still use amigas, there's no real definite  restrictions/limits, it's almost an artform unto itself.

p.s. Speaking of transparency, one of my efforts to do a streetfighter2 remake for amigaos ended up with one of the characters ended up transparent. Was actually a bug rather than intentional, but was "free" transparency nonetheless. One of the most interesting bits of code I did for ocs, and it was accidental  :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 05:29:11 PM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 05:10:30 AM »
Quote from: Digiman;666419
Everything is better in SEGA style scaling graphics for 2.5D :)

Id give my right arm (well, maybe not *my* right arm, but Id happily hack someone elses of and *hand* it over (no pun intended)) for a new "sprite" based "3d" racing game (ala outrun, etc.).
Most modern racing games are all way too similar, and serious for my tastes.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 04:53:56 PM »
@Amiten

Good work. I really enjoyed checking out your stuff. First actual work in the thread too (apart from a few pictures). Im surprised no-one else commented on your work. Im a big 3dsmax fan as well. Star Wars however,....... really not a fan  :)

I guess people are more interested in dreaming still usually. :)