Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore Scotland Under Threat...  (Read 27312 times)

Description:

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
Re: Commodore Scotland Under Threat...
« Reply #254 from previous page: February 17, 2011, 04:03:01 PM »
Quote from: Franko;616142
And what does you buying an "OS4 machine" have to do with supporting the Amiga Community ???

Franko, you'll find that many OS4 supporters treat Hyperion and Co. as a charity. There are even some out there who don't have the hardware to run OS4 but they still buy the software. They also actually believe that OS4 *is the Amiga*, and therefore by supporting the OS4 charity they are somehow supporting the Amiga.

I know, it's pretty screwy, but that's just how it is.

Offline FrankoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #255 on: February 17, 2011, 04:11:26 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;616187
Franko, you'll find that many OS4 supporters treat Hyperion and Co. as a charity. There are even some out there who don't have the hardware to run OS4 but they still buy the software. They also actually believe that OS4 *is the Amiga*, and therefore by supporting the OS4 charity they are somehow supporting the Amiga.

I'd kinda gathered that about certain folk & OS4, but then again the same can be said about all things in the twilight zone we call the Amiga Community... :)

To be honest I don't think there is one solitary person (myself included) in the Amiga Community who would stand a chance of being declared normal or sane if their freedom from a padded cell depended on it... :)

But I reckon that's what make the whole Amiga thing special, we're all stark raving mad... :)

Offline number6

« Reply #256 on: February 17, 2011, 04:15:22 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;616187

While there is truth is what you say, there is little difference between how OS4 users look at Hyperion vs how supporters of the other amiga/amigalike options look at the ones they support.
I gather you single out Hyperion because some of the other options have no official management/company behind them?

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #257 on: February 17, 2011, 04:22:38 PM »
Quote from: Franko;616077

Quote from: TheBilgeRat;616078
lim x > 5  1/5-x

:roflmao:  ok, that's funny

to get back to my point, I bought AmigaForever to use IFX and then bought Hollywood. I have no interest in games. I did buy Deluxe Paint and Digi Paint many many years ago and would love to use them but at the moment have no way to access my old floppies.

(I did get access to DP files, however).
And there's nothing wrong with emulation. I was originally attracted to it when I realized I could use WinUAE on a laptop making my Amiga files portable. I also make my PC laptop multiboot so I have Windows, Linux AND Amiga emulation on ONE machine.

I consider that very clever.  :)

But I need Windows ONLY for AfterEffects and the fact that I can also use it for Amiga emulation is a GOOD thing.

being flexible is a sign of Intelligence, by the way  :banana::angel:
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #258 on: February 17, 2011, 04:28:32 PM »
Quote from: number6;616193
While there is truth is what you say, there is little difference between how OS4 users look at Hyperion vs how supporters of the other amiga/amigalike options look at the ones they support.
I gather you single out Hyperion because some of the other options have no official management/company behind them?

Well, for AROS that's true enough. I'm aware of a few AROS users who seem to also consider AROS "the Amiga", though they seem to be tongue in cheek about it. MorphOS seems to be about doing the MorphOS thing, I can only think of one person who seems to think MOS is "the Amiga", it's even in his signature, and the management behind MOS doesn't promote it as "the Amiga". UAE, MiniMig, and Natami - supporting these means supporting real Amiga software, so in a sense with those two systems you ARE supporting the Amiga.

It's only because Hyperion was so anxious to get the Holy Name that they have so many who think that supporting OS4 means supporting Amiga. I'm pretty sure if you ask any AROS or MOS user if they think they're OS of choice is the actual Amiga, most will admit it's merely Amiga-like.

I wonder what will happen when CUSA is added to the mix?

Offline FrankoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #259 on: February 17, 2011, 04:31:53 PM »
Quote from: cecilia;616196
:roflmao:  ok, that's funny

to get back to my point, I bought AmigaForever to use IFX and then bought Hollywood. I have no interest in games. I did buy Deluxe Paint and Digi Paint many many years ago and would love to use them but at the moment have no way to access my old floppies.

(I did get access to DP files, however).
And there's nothing wrong with emulation. I was originally attracted to it when I realized I could use WinUAE on a laptop making my Amiga files portable. I also make my PC laptop multiboot so I have Windows, Linux AND Amiga emulation on ONE machine.

I consider that very clever.  :)

But I need Windows ONLY for AfterEffects and the fact that I can also use it for Amiga emulation is a GOOD thing.

being flexible is a sign of Intelligence, by the way  :banana::angel:

Amusing as if I find all this stuff, I've just taken delivery of a nice Blizzard030 64Mb Ram 50Mhz & FPU @ 50Mhz, so I'm off now to try it out... :)

I'll just leave you all with this for the time being, until I return once again with me big wooden spoon... :)

[youtube]Cml_YsTznRU[/youtube]

(PS:Never wanted to be intelligent and I'm quite happy being a bamstick, thank you... :))

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #260 on: February 17, 2011, 04:33:49 PM »
Well, apart from all the butthurt that happens here on Amiga.org (which for the most part I chalk up to the general lack of sarcasm awareness or thick skin amongst the english as second or third or fourth language crowd), for the most part I am humored by the railings for or against some issue that was decided years ago.  I will be straight up honest - every piece of software on my amigas is pirated.  100%.  the original owner should have wiped his drive as I never paid for any of the software on it.  I can't be sure that even he did.  You point me to a company manufacturing original 3.1 workbench disks and who can demonstrate that they hold intellectual rights to the contents 100% and I'll buy them.  Hell, I can't even be sure the 3.1 ROMS I purchased off ebay from some dude in California are even legit - they have some laserprinted sticker on them that anyone could have made and slapped on roms that anyone could have burned.  They work it seems, but there is the possibility that dude burned them himself and sold them "illegally."  Tell me who I am financially impacting by my piracy and I will cut an apology letter post haste.  This is without even touching the whole WHDload games issues.  There are some software people I plan to support (a WHDload license; possibly turboprint, assuming I can get the version I "acquired" to demonstrate some usefulness;  MorphOS, because I like the look of some mac hardware), and some hardware (NATAMI!! ZORam, Indivision, Deneb for sure...possibly mediator).  As for all the rest?  I'm sorry, but I would simply be unable to use an amiga today for anything but a desk weight if it wasn't for "abandonware" and "piracy."  And if you are truly honest to yourself, there isn't ONE PERSON on this board who stands in lily white purity.  Ergo, every time you open your hole to rail against piracy you may as well slap your own face with your own hypocrite hand.

EDIT:  To be more specific, this is not directed at Cloanto or AOS4 (had to put that in, because I really don't want assaulted for suggesting that some time in the future I may or may not purchase a MorphOS license).  I'm sure AmigaForever is a cool product.  And AOS 4 looks like a cool OS as well.  Also, not directed at any specific person, as you are all wonderful and special in your own way.  Also, no kittens were harmed during this posting...at least not by me or anyone in my vicinity.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 04:41:31 PM by TheBilgeRat »

Offline number6

« Reply #261 on: February 17, 2011, 04:34:22 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;616198
Well, for AROS that's true enough. I'm aware of a few AROS users who seem to also consider AROS "the Amiga", though they seem to be tongue in cheek about it. MorphOS seems to be about doing the MorphOS thing, I can only think of one person who seems to think MOS is "the Amiga", it's even in his signature, and the management behind MOS doesn't promote it as "the Amiga". UAE, MiniMig, and Natami - supporting these means supporting real Amiga software, so in a sense with those two systems you ARE supporting the Amiga.

It's only because Hyperion was so anxious to get the Holy Name that they have so many who think that supporting OS4 means supporting Amiga. I'm pretty sure if you ask any AROS or MOS user if they think they're OS of choice is the actual Amiga, most will admit it's merely Amiga-like.

I wonder what will happen when CUSA is added to the mix?

Agree with most of what you say. I think MorphOS is quite satisfied with -not- being embroiled in any of the shenanigans and legal affairs surrounding trademarks and such. They've made that quite clear.

I understand what you say about C=USA, but I'm still more interested atm, in following what comes of the Pluritas venture.