Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I don't get it.  (Read 14509 times)

Description:

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
Re: I don't get it.
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 12:45:29 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;566276

The only people that the X1000 was ever going to appeal to is people in the "Red" camp. I strongly doubt anybody in either the "Blue" or "Black" camp would ever buy it, not at any price.

Not necessarily. Since the PA6T is a nice processor I could consider a purchase (given the hardware were rather bug free) even while OS4 is not my favorite Amigaish OS if the price was attractive. Indeed chances are pretty low (not only because of the product, but also for other reasons) to motivate a purchase by me, but the chances were not NULL. For a price above 800 EUR they are NULL indeed - at least as long as only OS4 & Linux run on it.

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 12:48:23 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;566292
I dunno, I just thought the real hot-heads had all upped sticks years ago for their own platform-of-choice-only forum ideas of utopia.

I'm happy that there's some activity, it's just that it's all seems so unduly negative.

For me, it's a price<>performance kind of thing. I find that the specs, hype and final cost (seemingly TBD) of this product are at odds with each other, which should be quite common for those of us in 'this' camp.

I do agree that there's a lot of negativity - which is only good constructively if the people behind the product actually care, listen to and consider the ramifications of such feedback. Especially in a forum such as this, for a platform based on the very reason ALL of us are here in the first place.

I will be choking out loud if this thing finally clocks in around $2300-$3k though. Totally preposterous price points. Wash. Rinse. Fail. Repeat.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 12:51:15 AM »
What I don't get the exclusivity some desire, especially but not exclusively on the red side. Some seem to think an ultra high price is a right of passage and keeping an ultra low user base is somehow a good thing. EVERYONE should want to grow all the communities, not run off prospective users.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 01:03:12 AM »
Naturally, as another Ebayer, I agree most with Red.
We're not growing our market through this divisiveness.
And the pricing is prohibitive. However, if Aeon succeeds, there's nothing stopping someone else from designing lower cost boards with say a Freescale 8641D or an Applied Micro Titan cored PPC.

And I'm not jealous. If the X1000 turns out to be that good, MorphOS could be ported to it just as easily as AOS 4.1.

And, if the PA6T is only about as powerful as a G5, well we can always port MorphOS to the G5 Powermacs.

And, besides, I'd have no problem running AOS 4.1.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 01:05:00 AM »
Quote from: redrumloa;566303
What I don't get the exclusivity some desire, especially but not exclusively on the red side. Some seem to think an ultra high price is a right of passage and keeping an ultra low user base is somehow a good thing. EVERYONE should want to grow all the communities, not run off prospective users.

+1 and exactly. Too bad these people can't grasp the concept that cell phone companies got back in the late 90's. Use that as a model, just for a sec. M$ did and look what happened. But back to cell phones... talk about a frivolous product that MOST people do NOT need, yet WANT and make it their life long ambition to own and use.  

"For the masses, not the classes"....   :laughing:

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 01:42:37 AM »
what i don't get the exclusivity some desire, especially but not exclusively on the red side. Some seem to think an ultra high price is a right of passage and keeping an ultra low user base is somehow a good thing. Everyone should want to grow all the communities, not run off prospective users.

qfmft +2
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2010, 02:30:15 AM »

They watched, "Field of Dreams" and adopted it as their business model.  I have no clue on what they are thinking by introducing a high end system that the OS can't fully use in the worst economy in a generation, maybe in two generations.   Throw in a cult attitude plus very weak marketing capabilities and you have a makings of a great full blown disaster.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2010, 03:31:52 AM »
I'm quite fine with Uae and Aros thanks, you want to spend a couple grand on a souped up a4000 or a custom board built by whoever thats fine.

I think we have some great options for getting into "Amigas" however you define that. and I think thats great. Whether you want to stick with classic hardware, or minimig, or emulation or os4, aros, or morphos.

The negativity is annoying sometimes but this is definitely a vibrant and dynamic hobby. So far I don't think it has split the community. We've had red, blue, black and whatever for years here on amiga.org and flamewars aside its been ok.
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2010, 03:40:06 AM »
At least there's multiple options. I just want to have fun with amiga's.

The whole infighting is rather sad though.

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2010, 04:08:06 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;566280

When I make a positive comment or suggestion, frequently I get negative feedback.

When I make a critical comment or suggest a change, I'm often personally attacked.

If I didn't already know that many of the people I'm dealing with are sharp, intelligent individuals with interests similar to mine, I'd be really offended by some of the rude treatment I've received lately.

And its not just OS4, AROS or MorphOS, original Amiga users and Natami fanatics have been just as rabid.

Considering the similarities between systems and their common point of origin, you'd think  we'd be more unified.

+1

I wholeheartedly agree. This is the problem with even posting on this site. It's just not healthy anymore. I've always supported every flavor out there, but the recent developments in the past couple of years, with the lawsuits, Moana, the X1000 and such have made the zealots come out in a fevered fury.

You can't say *ANYTHING* about one of the Amiga "flavors", be it positive or negative, without someone getting all butt hurt about it.

I once  again go back to my comment about "bitter siblings". All the BS from the past decade or so have made me wish that no investor had given Bill McEwen the time of day and the Amiga IP languished in a vault deep within the bowels of the Gateway "empire". :(

[EDIT] - Another thing that's annoying me is the fact that once someone has achieved "butt hurt status", they cry that the Mods aren't "doing their jobs" for being "butt hurt" in the first place, when nine times out of ten, they instigated it. Personally, I like the *LACK* of moderation around here, since Pyro took over. We're not seeing threads closed every other day, 'cos it just gets so out of hand, with the personal attacks and insults.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 04:13:48 AM by Methuselas »
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2010, 04:10:05 AM »
Quote from: dammy;566320
I have no clue on what they are thinking by introducing a high end system that the OS can't fully use in the worst economy in a generation, maybe in two generations.   Throw in a cult attitude plus very weak marketing capabilities and you have a makings of a great full blown disaster.

*ZING*!

I couldn't agree more.

It goes both ways, but at least the MorphOS team and the AROS team aren't trying to bleed every penny they can from a "pathetic market base".
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2010, 04:27:28 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;566290
Comparing is fine, ranting and flaming away over something you wouldn't have bought even if it came complete with "sex and free beer" seems a bit stupid.

See, it looks like you have to pay for the sex :lol:

Offline EDanaII

• Show only replies by EDanaII
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2010, 04:33:47 AM »
Speaking for myself, it's about growing the user-base. It will always be about that. When the base is big enough, then they can experiment with something like the X1000. But going for such a machine now, without bringing a lot of users back is like building the roof before you've even laid the foundation. THAT's what I don't get. :)
Ed.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2010, 04:34:52 AM »
I love amiga, Since I was so young banging away on an amiga 500. Now, years later in fact I still really love all amigoid systems. Used aros, built dedicated emulation pc's for running os3.x... Rebuilt an amiga 1200...built an amithlon machine,Getting an emac to try morphos... Always eagerly reading news of anything amiga.. Even after all these amiga things that I do or have done...getting a machine to run amiga os4.x is just out of the question for me financially though, even at sam prices, let alone x1000.

Sometimes I think about that and think total failure. What I mean is if they are pricing amiga os 4.x hardware so high that even me, a really big amiga fan can't afford to get one or justify the expense since the hardware is so dated and slow...then what hope do they have of selling to new groups of geeks?

Want to see a HUGE userbase for amiga os again?
X86 it. Limit the supported hardware to a few specific network/video and sound cards. Do that yesterday, make it dual boot with windows, and sell thousands of copies for 50$ each. Watch your userbase skyrocket while
your making money. Make your innovative software BE the new custom chips you crave so much, and stop worrying about hardware.

Steven

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2010, 05:25:33 AM »
I put it down to jealousy, if a new development occurs in one "camp" the opposing camp has to shoot holes through it to justify their position.

I wouldve thought any new development in Amiga-Amigaish technology (regardless of which camp) would be better than complete stagnation.

Perhaps people are so myopic they just cant see the bigger picture.

It's fascinating, in a morbid way.

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 22, 2010, 06:45:15 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;566345

Want to see a HUGE userbase for amiga os again?
X86 it. Limit the supported hardware to a few specific network/video and sound cards. Do that yesterday, make it dual boot with windows, and sell thousands of copies for 50$ each. Watch your userbase skyrocket while
your making money. Make your innovative software BE the new custom chips you crave so much, and stop worrying about hardware.

Who would buy these hypothetical thousands of copies? AmigaOS does not have enough compelling features to make up for its many shortcomings for people who are used to mainstream OS's.

Returning ex-Amiga users like me come back *despite* major problems such as lack of SMP or memory protection or the dire lack of applications.

I think AROS already takes most of the *small* market segment that is willing to put up with these kind of shortcomings just to use an AmigaOS like OS on generic x86 hardware. That's not to say than an x86 version can't work.

Amiga needs more than just the OS - it needs to come as a "package". Take a leaf from Apple, effectively, since Apple today embody a lot of what worked for the Amiga too originally: Sell a *platform* that as a whole is desirable to a user segment, to the point that raw performance numbers or cost becomes less important.

Most users don't "get" what an OS is all about. They buy a package. They want their computer to just work.