Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: new os3.x software ?  (Read 25854 times)

Description:

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
Re: new os3.x software ?
« on: November 16, 2010, 12:55:19 AM »
Probably one of the most useful tools for any Amiga user who enjoys programming in 68k is ReSource... :)

Thanks to this little gem of a program I've managed over the years to disassemble and then optimize, bugfix or add new features to many old original pieces of software that I use frequently.

Currently I'm in the process of disassembling AWEB, which I think was written in C originally. Im not knocking the authors of AWEB but when you see the code disassembled then it's obvious that there can be many optimizations done to this program that should help speed it up quite a bit.

I've got a long way to go yet before it's fully disassembled but that's one of my pet peeves about code written in C, it's bloated and not efficient.

It's the same with the roms, there are several hundred optimizations that can be safely made, ok the speed increase in nothing great but as we all know every wasted cycle on the Amiga that you can get rid of can only be a good thing... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 07:54:05 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;592384
AWeb is actually open source, so might be easier to just download the sources than disassemble :-)

I have the source code for AWeb dowloaded, but they are written in C, as I only write in M68k I need to disassemble the original prog to get it in 68K code... :)

It's a bit of a pain though as the code is scattered all over the place and even with ReSource it's very time consuming trying to disassemble it properly, but from what I have disassembled so far (about 40%) I can already see lot's of places where the code could be optimized and hopefully sped up... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 10:23:17 AM »
There are a few PNG datatype packages on Aminet here...

http://aminet.net/search?query=png+datatype

I personally use the "PNGdt44.lha" package and it runs fine with my OS3.5 system... :)