Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: (RFD) How can we support...?  (Read 2390 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_H

Re: (RFD) How can we support...?
« on: May 29, 2009, 10:06:19 PM »
I had suggested a bounties module for Amiga.org a while before the switchover to the new forum, and it looks like others are thinking the same thing. A bounties system for 68K could be pretty helpful, I think.

We've seen, unfortunately, that bounties for huge projects (IE, Mozilla, OpenOffice) haven't really gone anywhere, but I suspect bounties for small projects could yield some real, usable results. I'm thinking along the lines of "Fix bug x in y.library", "Port powersdl.library to 68K", "Make a datatype for file format z".

On the more general front...

I love the imagery of the Mom's basement/Amiga, Inc. analogy. The one (read: only) thing that Amiga, Inc. has right however, is that the Amiga name itself is very powerful. Therefore, I don't think that divorcing the community from the name "Amiga" is a good way to grow the platform/hobby.

My entirely non-scientific example is that mentioning MorphOS or AROS in almost any general technology/computing forum will be greeted with a response of "What the hell is that?", if anything, while Amiga still gets an "I remember the Amiga", even though the three platforms are almost the exact same thing and are all, more or less, still all part of the same community. I suspect BeOS and Haiku/Zeta also suffered for similar reasons.

So my suggestion is that instead of divorcing the community from Amiga, we should divorce Amiga, Inc. from the community. Make it absolutely clear that AI does not have the interests of the current platform, preserving its history, or the community in mind.

I think a lot of former users see AI and think that it represents the current state of affairs for the entire platform (cell phone games from 2001 and vaporware PASemi boards), which we all know not to be the case.

If the community can once again become the dominant (and positive!) force behind the Amiga name, then Amiga, Inc.'s shell game could collapse and the trademarks could finally end up somewhere useful (a non-profit, Mozilla.org-style organization, preferably).