Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: To AROS team  (Read 2588 times)

Description:

Offline iconoclaST

• Show only replies by iconoclaST
Re: To AROS team
« Reply #14 from previous page: February 20, 2009, 09:38:00 AM »
I'm aware of that, but you see less support under native mode than you do under Linux. I used to have a box dedicated to running AROS, but on my ThinkPad, it's a no-go.

My personal opinion is that (Well, I feel like tomatoes are going to be thrown at me for saying this) while AROS does well with focusing on 3.1 source compatibility, and while the original AmigaOS most definitely had its strengths, I couldn't really envision it as anything that's really ready for the 21st century. I would personally like to see something along the lines of the concepts of AmigaOS and intuition being injected into an existing *NIX-based OS distribution, and leaving behind backwards compatibility. It wouldn't be an /easy/ task, but I think think it would be, at the very least, doable and interesting. Not to mention that you could reap the benefits of thousands upon thousands of existing device drivers and such...

Take a *NIX distribution, develop a custom windowing system, re-work the filesystem layout, commands, and the feedback/syntax of commands to mimic the AmigaDOS shell, but while taking advantage of the heightened security and user privilege system, among other things...

The overall concensus is still, these days, the mainstream user just isn't ready for a *NIX-based OS that runs on common PC hardware. (Okay, I'll admit I'm shooting for the moon here, and not really taking myself too seriously), but something like say... "Intuix" or whatever it would be called...would at least be a good step closer...

A very unlikely proposal, but hey, one can always dream and try to get better at C in the process, can't they? :P

Offline Colani1200

• Show only replies by Colani1200
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 12:22:52 PM »

iconoclaST wrote:

Take a *NIX distribution, develop a custom windowing system, re-work the filesystem layout, commands, and the feedback/syntax of commands to mimic the AmigaDOS shell, but while taking advantage of the heightened security and user privilege system, among other things...

All this is already there. Any common Linux distro can easily be customized to the above. But it doesn't make any new Amiga plus since you want to throw compatibility out, it is pretty much useless.

Offline hbarcellosTopic starter

• Show only replies by hbarcellos
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 03:11:49 PM »
I hate to come back to this point, but:
If AROS would only support ATI RV360, will be the need to worry about drivers? A single interface, extremely optimized could be built, and then, maybe, a full sdk above it.

Then, some skilled programmers, could even access the RV360 directly to create some old-time experience. Just like what was done at the 80's.

For example, the AROS team, could dictate:
"Amigros 1800" consists on the following restricted hardware: Motherboard Soyo XPTO, Athlon 64 core YZK, ATI RV360 chip, soundblaster model XXRRROOO and etc...

If you want to be able to run "AROS 2.7" and all the software made to it, you MUST meet exactly this HW requirements.

}~ A1200 - Apollo 68040 - HOTLY running OS 3.1
}~ Powerbook G4 1.67 running MorphOS 3.2 without Wifi.
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline AeroMan

• Show only replies by AeroMan
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 04:37:02 PM »
I have AROS installed in my Semprom, and it was quite easy to do that. Less painful than installing Windows.

I believe install problems will not happens in all machines. Drivers issues...

I just would like to run that on my EEE. That would rock!

Offline iconoclaST

• Show only replies by iconoclaST
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 05:58:32 PM »

Colani1200 wrote:

All this is already there. Any common Linux distro can easily be customized to the above. But it doesn't make any new Amiga plus since you want to throw compatibility out, it is pretty much useless.

The point wouldn't be solely based on making a "new Amiga". Throwing out compatibility at this point wouldn't really hurt anything, in my opinion. In most cases, the Amiga as we know it, is dead. Few of us are still left hanging around the vintage hardware, and a more rare few of us have paid out the ass to adopt the new hardware and software. Amiga Inc. is doing nothing more than delivering what should have been last decade's product at a cost that makes a new Mac look cheap in comparison. As far as compatibility goes, UAE tends to fare better than most new Amiga-derived operating system offerings, so compatibility has been somewhat thrown out the window.

Eventually, at some point, backwards compatibility just holds you back. Just ask Apple.

Now, while I'm aware of AmiWM for *NIX systems, it doesn't really do the job 100%. You'll notice many of the menu options in the "Workbench" are greyed out, and simply there for cosmetic look-alike reasons. It does a good job at looking alike, but it's definitely not Workbench.

I see that in reality, this approach could prove to be more useful, to us and to people outside of this small niche.
Backwards compatibility would be gone, but what about the huge slew of good and useful *NIX programs? Sure, some would need rewrites for the custom windowing system. (Example: Aside from AmiWM, nothing responds to right clicks in order to show their menubar, and AmiWM only shows its own anyways).

Evolution is necessary for a race to survive. You may lose a few things, but ultimately, what you gain, you will need, and what you lose, you didn't really need anymore. Given that the custom chips are out of date, and have been long out of production, you'll never find them in any modern PC hardware, and without the custom chips, you'll never have full compatibility anyways. Moving to X86 hardware will sacrifice more compatibility as well. I don't mean to throw the baby out with the bathwater, but that bathwater is awfully old and dingy now, and the baby outgrew the tub, is now a 23-year old woman, and is still being dressed in diapers. You can either try to hold onto every last shred of compatibility in the OS itself, or you can let it go, take the important concepts, let the Amiga concept grow and move into this century, and have more useful things at hand, specifically technologies like java, flash, etc. It saddens me that any attempt to modernize Amiga hardware or software seems to be made under the assumption that I want to use PPC hardware that isn't all that modern to begin with, a very small selection of supported hardware, and an OS that 99% of developers ignore completely, and isn't very useful for admiring, and doing things we already did 10 years ago. I'm seeing the legacy of the Amiga being relegated to just a toy.

As for AROS: I like AROS, I agree having set hardware specifications (EEE would be a great platform for AROS) would be good for the sake of coherence between machines. It would help for people wanting to run AROS natively. However, I'm not going to be watching Youtube, using Google docs, or watching Homestar Runner on AROS anytime soon, regardless. Nor will I be doing those things on AmigaOS 4, or MorphOS. And I most definitely won't be doing them on WB 3.1.

Offline CRL

• Show only replies by CRL
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 06:06:48 PM »
I must agree with Aeroman.  The little EEE type "netbooks" simply cry out for a native AROS OS.
CRL