Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What ever happened to.... The Village Tronic petition  (Read 2658 times)

Description:

Offline amiga_3kTopic starter

• Show only replies by amiga_3k
    • http://www.elf8.nl
What ever happened to.... The Village Tronic petition
« on: November 28, 2006, 09:31:30 PM »
Introduction
I'm one of those (almost) mid-thirty guys part-time returning to the Amiga after being away for about 5 to 6 years. Up until  2001-ish I used the Amiga on a daily base (from 1991 until 2000 full-time running an A3000 with, in the end, a PicassoIV, from 2000 on a A4000T (with that same PicassoIV and 68040/25 processorboard) for all my computing needs: Surfing the net, playing Formula One Grand Prix, Slamtilt and doing the occasional pixel-painting. So far the lame introduction

The real question
Years ago unfortunately (but understandable) Village Tronic decided to no longer produce brilliant hardware for the Amiga. The Voodoo add-on for the PicassoIV was the last (almost ready) hardware they created. One of the forums I was visiting frequently back then was Amiga Format's buletin and it was them (I think) who put up a petition to get Village Tronic to grant a license to DCE to keep producing the brilliant hardware. And that's where my question is going to ('Finally' I hear you sigh... ;-)): Does any of you recall such a petition and, more importantly, was it ever followed up? What were the reasons for NOT granting the license?

Why this question
I'm asking this question because I'd love to see another production run of the PicassoIV (and the add-on modules). I guess there might still be some market for it (despite the Mediator PCI interfaces) as I see bare PicassoIVs on eBay passing for more than 100 euro.

If this is in the wrong forum please feel free to put it into the right one.
Get a SAM, while you can! The new AMIGA is here!

Offline alexh

• Show only replies by alexh
    • http://thalion.atari.org
Re: What ever happened to.... The Village Tronic petition
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 09:43:58 PM »
The rights to produce VillageTronic Amiga hardware and all their old stock was transfered to one of the creators Tobias Seiler after the death of the Picasso creator Klaus Burkert

Offline Akiko

• Show only replies by Akiko
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 10:53:51 PM »

(Sigh) What an incredible card it was too, back then that 3D module would have jus been the icing on the cake.

Offline 560SL

• Show only replies by 560SL
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 11:03:14 PM »
I would commit murder to have that PIV scandoubler/FF.

AmigaOS: Forward Into The Past

Offline Akiko

• Show only replies by Akiko
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 11:17:21 PM »

I just have, well not the murder bit :-)

Hope I can still use the voodoo at the same time on G-Rex for 3D stuff  :-?

Offline zipper

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 07:33:19 AM »
PicassoIV makes a nice combination with Voodoo - as it did with CVPPC also.

Offline amiga_3kTopic starter

• Show only replies by amiga_3k
    • http://www.elf8.nl
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 07:18:10 PM »
@alexh:

That's some usefull information. Guess that will be a few nights of Googling about the net to get more info. Not that that would invoke a new production run. It could help me understand why it's not done. I mean, I can think up tons of reasons, mostly financial driven, but I need a different reason ;-)

If only a new run of PicassoIVs could be done

I thinkt the PicassoIV was the best ever piece of hardware I ever bought for the Amiga. Well, shoulnd't have been stupid to give it away.
Get a SAM, while you can! The new AMIGA is here!

Offline stopthegop

• Show only replies by stopthegop
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 02:03:44 AM »
P-IV is Second best, imo.  CyberstormPPC is numero uno.  GVP4060 and P-IV tied for second. DKB3128 or Fastlane256 third place, or possibly a tie for third.  :)
Primary:
A4000T. Phase5 PPC604e-233mhz/060-66mhz. Mediator, Z3 Fastlane, Voodoo5, Delfina, X-Surf, AD516, Peggy Plus.

Collection:
A4000D, A1200, A500, Milan060 (Atari clone), Atari MegaSTE, Atari TT030, C64, C128, Mattel Aquarius, (2) HP Jornada....

Offline alexh

• Show only replies by alexh
    • http://thalion.atari.org
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 09:19:44 AM »
Tobias used to hang around on the Picasso96 Yahoo group before it got over-run with SPAM.

I had a very early P4 and he swapped (no cost except postage) my MACH chip and a PAL for the latest versions.

Top bloke.

Offline Tahoe

• Show only replies by Tahoe
    • http://www.amiga4ever.nl
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 09:35:42 AM »
Guys, forget about a re-run of production. Most of the plans are lost after the death of it's designer.

And even if there were still plans; lots of components are impossible to obtain these days. It would take a complete re-design.

I like the idea; sure. It was a nice card. But be practical here.

Get enough people interested and have Jens design a new card; based on an Ati or NVidia mobile GPU with an integrated SD/FF is a more viable option then to try and reproduce a 10+ years old card.
Greetings from Wilnis, The Netherlands
Now owning ALL Amiga models and most; if not all; flavours of them...My Amiga Museum

Offline Jope

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 11:34:13 AM »
I agree with Tahoe.

But how to feed a modern GFX chip with data? I fear the only solution to realise it's full potential is to connect it to a local bus on a CPU card.. Like CSMK3/CSPPC and the CVPPC.

Offline keropi

• Show only replies by keropi
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 11:55:22 AM »
maybe one could feed the chipset gfx data via a videoslot to the overlay functions?