Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is there any interest in new Amiga 3000D and 4000D power supplies?  (Read 7708 times)

Description:

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Re: Is there any interest in new Amiga 3000D and 4000D power supplies?
« Reply #29 from previous page: October 29, 2005, 11:11:46 PM »

x56h34 wrote:

koaftder wrote:
Are you going to fabricate your own chasis for the device, or will you require a core?

New chasis would be made according to the same dimensions of the original.

I cant immagine there being much profit for yall making powersupplies. You most likely wont sell thousands of them, and if you did you would have to outsource the pcb production and probably the assembly, as you wouldnt have time to solder all thoes diodes and caps and other things.

We are both aware of that. Realistically looking at things, we'd probably be looking at around 100 sales, if that. I guess if we could break even in the end, it would be worth doing it.

Even if you did setup shop in your garage and made your own pcb's, what would you do with all thoes gallons and gallons of waste ferric chloride? You have to pay to dispose of it properly.

We would buy internals of existing ATX power supplies that could fit into the A3000D or A4000D chasis, and simply rewire them to work with A3000D and A4000D style power connectors, and neatly secure the PCBs inside the chasis so that the entire job looks clean. We would definitely not make our own internals of the PSUs from scratch. That would be too expensive.

I can't imagine why you didn't like my idea of using existing "REAL" Amiga PSU housings, unless you think finding the cores would be too much trouble and don't think your buyers would supply you with their existing PSU's for a source of cores.

Other than fitting the ATX PSU's into the Amiga PSU housing, fitting the fan properly and switching the MoBo connectors, what PCB are you talking about?
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline x56h34Topic starter

• Show only replies by x56h34
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2005, 01:54:38 AM »

amigadave wrote:

I can't imagine why you didn't like my idea of using existing "REAL" Amiga PSU housings, unless you think finding the cores would be too much trouble and don't think your buyers would supply you with their existing PSU's for a source of cores.

The original chasis for both A3000 and A4000 could certainly be improved as far as airflow holes are conserned. We figured that a completely new arrangement would be in order, thus the idea of reusing existing original chasis would not provide for a clean solution, as a lot of custom cutting would be required and we are not equipped for that sort of thing. The design of the new chasis would be done by us and the actual manufacturing would be done by a 3rd party contractor. As soon as we design the chasis and find a fitting ATX PCB, we will look for the best option on 3rd party manufacturing. The idea is to have all the parts ready for a simple assembly by the two of us, testing, and finally sale.

Other than fitting the ATX PSU's into the Amiga PSU housing, fitting the fan properly and switching the MoBo connectors, what PCB are you talking about?

I think that A3000 motherboard requires tick signal to be present, and some sort of a solution would have to be provided in order for our idea to work with A3000D system in mind.

Offline Cass

• Show only replies by Cass
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2005, 11:21:25 AM »
I'd definitely buy one, the 150W PSU isn't just enough to power the internal expansions/devices in my A4000D.

________
Genetically Modified Food
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 10:42:00 PM by Cass »
"If we don't got it, you don't want it!"

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2005, 11:29:37 AM »
sorry amigadave but . . .its so difficult to understand?!?

They purchase the core of ATX PSUs and fits it in a case identical to the 3000 and 4000 one . . . wheres the mistery?

EDIT- x56h34 . . chose an Active PFC one if you can :-)

Offline patrik

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2005, 01:29:48 PM »
@x56h34:

If I dont remember wrong, you can jumper the A3000 motherboard to manage without the PSU TICK signal. That would require an addition to the user-instructions, but it should still be rather straightforward.

/Patrik

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2005, 01:44:53 PM »
@patrik

indeed, the tick signal generator circuit, isn't really necessary for this project.

Offline K7HTH

• Show only replies by K7HTH
    • http://NewPeopleString.com
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2005, 04:52:56 PM »
I would purchase at least one A3000D PSU. I have an adaptor cable to install an ATX PSU into an A4000D quite nicely.
Own the Web... Go PeopleString! It\'s Huge!!

Offline tonyvdb

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2005, 09:30:57 PM »
Hi  Kindred of Babble-on,

As I also live in Canada I would be very interested in one for my 4000D Keep me informed on your progress.
Amiga 2000HD Indivision ECS
Amiga 4000D towerised OS 3.1 and 3.9 on CF cards
Indivision AGA, Mediator 4000
Video Toaster 4000 Flyer v4.3 Millenium.
202gig of video drive space & 5gig audio.