Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: P2P OS4  (Read 3719 times)

Description:

Offline Magic-MerlTopic starter

• Show only replies by Magic-Merl
P2P OS4
« on: April 08, 2005, 12:07:16 PM »
This is not entirely a complaint but the Amiga as far as a new hardware/software platform is in it's infancy.

I was very upset to see that OS4 pre-release is available via e-mule.

Now I have to say that I am a hypocrite.  I download stuff from e-mule constantly - but when I saw this I was offended.  Yes, offended.

I was looking for adf's and purely by coincidence found it.  I suppose for the moment it doesn't really matter as OS4 is only available with an Amiga One and it doesn't run on anything else - but when it is available as a standalone product will we suffer the same fate at the hands of the pirates.

As a comparison - does OSX suffer from a similar problem and how does that affect Apples market.

Any Mac heads out there that have any idea?

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
Re: P2P OS4
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 12:16:27 PM »
AFAIk those archive its a fake, don't know.

I'll try to search it later.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 12:23:54 PM »

Magic-Merl wrote:
This is not entirely a complaint but the Amiga as far as a new hardware/software platform is in it's infancy.

I was very upset to see that OS4 pre-release is available via e-mule.

It is?

Now I have to say that I am a hypocrite.  I download stuff from e-mule constantly - but when I saw this I was offended.  Yes, offended.

I wouldn't take it personally...

I was looking for adf's and purely by coincidence found it.  I suppose for the moment it doesn't really matter as OS4 is only available with an Amiga One and it doesn't run on anything else - but when it is available as a standalone product will we suffer the same fate at the hands of the pirates.

Probably. But I don't expect we will see a standalone product any time.

As a comparison - does OSX suffer from a similar problem and how does that affect Apples market.

OSX has been available on just abotu every P2P network for ages. It doesn't affect Apple, as the cheapest PPC hardware to run the thing on is an Apple...

It's a clever marketing strategy, that the Amiga cartel has yet to figure out.

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 12:32:46 PM »
So to simplyfy things - no Apple do not suffer because OSX appears on P2P networks.

Good.

No need to worry then eh!

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 01:35:24 PM »

Magic-Merl wrote:
So to simplyfy things - no Apple do not suffer because OSX appears on P2P networks.

Good.

No need to worry then eh!

yup :-D

Offline adonay

• Show only replies by adonay
    • http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/index.htm
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 02:14:44 PM »
I was very upset to see that OS4 pre-release is available via e-mule

next time contact the guy and tell him to please take it off share i rememmber my brother shared all my ISO files a guy told him what he had done and he removed it..this could be an accident you know.

adonay  :-D
A1200 ACA 1230

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 02:42:48 PM »

bloodline wrote:

ANY time? Do you mean any time soon or ever? If you mean ever, i'll be very glad to point you back to this thread upon the release of the CSPPC/BPPC version of OS4.

OSX has been available on just abotu every P2P network for ages. It doesn't affect Apple, as the cheapest PPC hardware to run the thing on is an Apple...

I understand that this was only a glib comment, but I feel the need to point out two flaws with this statement. Firstly, the AmigaOne is the cheapest PPC hardware to run OS4 on, because it is the only hardware to run it on at this time. Secondly, the group of companies providing OS4 and the A1 are not a cartel. Dealers are independant and free to charge whatever they like for the A1&OS4, but they of course have to charge more than the wholesale price. Just like every single other item on sale.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline xeron

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2005, 02:45:02 PM »

Magic-Merl wrote:

Thats not quite true...

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2005, 02:54:43 PM »

xeron wrote:

bloodline wrote:

ANY time? Do you mean any time soon or ever? If you mean ever, i'll be very glad to point you back to this thread upon the release of the CSPPC/BPPC version of OS4.

You won't have to, I have a BPPC and BVision sitting, waiting, right next to me.

I understand that this was only a glib comment, but I feel the need to point out two flaws with this statement. Firstly, the AmigaOne is the cheapest PPC hardware to run OS4 on, because it is the only hardware to run it on at this time. Secondly, the group of companies providing OS4 and the A1 are not a cartel. Dealers are independant and free to charge whatever they like for the A1&OS4, but they of course have to charge more than the wholesale price. Just like every single other item on sale.

Yeah, you were supposed to laugh... not give me a dumb lecture about stuff we all know full well. :roll: paranoid?

Offline xeron

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2005, 03:08:00 PM »
No, its just that sometimes people come to forums like this looking for information, and the nature of text based communication being the way it is people could think you were being serious. Lastly, if you wanted me to laugh, maybe you should have said something amusing.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2005, 04:08:33 PM »

xeron wrote:
No, its just that sometimes people come to forums like this looking for information, and the nature of text based communication being the way it is people could think you were being serious. Lastly, if you wanted me to laugh, maybe you should have said something amusing.

What's brown and sticky?

Offline Floid

• Show only replies by Floid
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2005, 04:09:59 PM »

xeron wrote:

Magic-Merl wrote:

Thats not quite true...

OS X ain't Free or free, no.  Apple's business model, however, does let them happily 'charge twice,' as they can make profit on both the hardware and software upgrades.  This is a good spot to be in, if you can pull it off, and they of course rely on it, while the coziness of the situation does seem to let them turn the same blind eye Microsoft used to turn to piracy for now.*

The disingenious thing is that the hype around Darwin has many people 'honestly' thinking the software is free to share or trade, and the expensive shrinkwrapped versions are just a 'distribution' a-la RHAT.  (I get this mostly from people who don't actually own Macs, and they're the same ones confused into thinking Darwin will actually give you Aqua on a PC.  It's not a big deal now, but as x86 gets fast enough to make PearPC sort of livable, expect to hear more about it.)

*The somewhat weak thing is that this leaves users obliged to pay the 'OS tax' when they bought in thinking the Mac makes life easier.  This wasn't a big deal Back In The Day, when computers were new, but it's getting a bit iffy now; don't forget, Apple -point releases- tended towards being free bugfixing upgrades, but 10 has seen people have to run the treadmill up about 3 paid purchases for the system to get stable enough to use.  Still, it's fairly stable around 10.3 (or 10.2, even), so those versions might linger around as long as it's easy enough to backport to them.  (My opinion is that Apple has some timebombs -- more like "design decisions" -- lurking in the basic architecture to ensure, say, 10.3 will be too annoying to target after two or three point releases up.)

Meanwhile, this 'charging twice' is absolutely nothing compared to what Microsoft does with site licensing; at least Apple is 'charging twice' by selling fixes and new APIs (despite advertising that, of course, the system is stable and you'll never need fixes or constant upgrades like those poor Windows users), while MS make a lot of money convincing OEMs to preload (adding the Windows tax to the hardware), then convincing organizations to take site licenses for all those machines with paid copies to avoid the long and painful ream of a BSA audit.

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2005, 07:16:58 PM »

Yes this is a forum, yes we can say almost anything here. Yes bloodline will get out of bed on the other side tomorrow and feel like contributing something possitive.

We need to chill out a little.  It was a simple question which was abruptly, and incorrectly, answered.

For a moment I thought we had the answer to all the OS piracy problems.  Sell the OS with the hardware - worked for Windoze.

Accident or not.  If the Amiga One was available without OS4, at any point in the near future, I could have downloaded the ISO.  Good or bad - the fact happens to be that certain individuals may now own it without actually having the hardware.  It may have no relevance but will only have a financial impact in the future - thus harming the Amiga developers and the marketplace in general.

Offline amyren

• Show only replies by amyren
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2005, 01:17:35 PM »
searched Emule via filedonkey and did not find OS4, but maybe it apears on other search engines.

But I found several links to Mac OSX Tiger.
And I'm not so sure about the statement that the cheapest hardware to run OSX is Apple.
OSX Tiger is reported to run on at least one PPC emulator.(PearPC) And what about Mac-on-linux, I supose it will run there to.