Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why not AmigaOS4 for x86 Platforms?  (Read 17845 times)

Description:

Offline x56h34

• Show all replies
Re: Why not AmigaOS4 for x86 Platforms?
« on: January 21, 2005, 04:50:25 PM »
@leirbag28:

Well, let me just say this. If there's ever going to be the next DoomMaster, you my friend are currently in the lead for that position.

Offline x56h34

• Show all replies
Re: Why not AmigaOS4 for x86 Platforms?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 05:58:18 PM »
@leirbag28:

I'm kidding of course, but you seem to be very persistant about using the...custom chips. :-)

Anyways, the current major problem with the new Amiga One is the lack of good software that you can use with OS4.0.
The OS itself feeles and looks great compared to OS3.9. It's a huge step forward, but...

I have an Amiga One XEG4 system and I can tell you that there's basically nothing released for OS4.0 that pushes the limits of the Amiga One hardware to the max. More development of ANY kind is definitely necessary. It's not like there's developers out there complaining about how they need some sort of new custom chips, or for whatever reason, any speedy hardware compared to what's available...no...you need development to start working seriously, with serious software coming out. Then, and only then, we'll start to see how good the hardware really is and what are the limits of it, and finally, if ANY improvments to it are really needed at this stage.

Of course, a huge reason to little or not enough development is the high price of Amiga One motherboards. If it were a little cheaper, a lot more people would get them and at least give it try. The specs of the Amiga One motherboards are fine...it's the price that's not. :-(