Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Seems that the Tsunami or Brad Pitt / Jennifer Aniston are the only things going on in the world...  (Read 1579 times)

Description:

I know it's a horrible thing that happened in Thailand, but I don't know which currently annoys me more

a) The media's 24 hour coverage of the Tsunami and it's impact on the world, followed by the stupidity of the worldwide "contest" to shame countries into seeing which will give the most money.  (this is a discussion for another thread)

or

b) The fact that the media has now almost completely dropped any mention of the Tsunami story and all I've heard about for four days (ranging from CNN, to the Today show, to ET, etc) is Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston's breakup.

I know the media is both liberal and fickle, but this is fecking rediculous.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos

Wayne wrote:

I know the media is both liberal and fickle, but this is fecking rediculous.

Oh man, I just pictured you as Father Ted saying that :lol:
int p; // A

Offline x56h34

• Show only replies by x56h34
That's how the movie industry works. That's how actors get publicity and how average joe is convinced to watch their movies. Both of them have like 5 or 6 contracts for upcoming movies or movies to be released shortly, so go figure why the stunt was created in the first place.

It's the oldest trick in the book. :-)

Sorry, I've no idea who Father Ted is.  

Yes, old trick, but annoying as hell, when there are more important problems in the world.  More people die of starvation and disease every week than the Thailand incident yet you don't hear the news shaming the world into fighting those problems.  

Don't even get me started on Pitt and Aniston.

Offline x56h34

• Show only replies by x56h34
Well, it's sad that as far as pretty much any news media is concerned, any type of news pretty soon becomes old news, including the Tsunami disaster. :-( They constantly need a flood of fresh and new material, so yeah, when a juicy gossip like the "trouble in paradise" comes up, not even a real life disaster could beat its popularity and demand, within public. :-(

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/

Wayne wrote:
Sorry, I've no idea who Father Ted is.  
an incredibly funny comedy out of Ireland.

you have to stop watching stupid american TV (which is not liberal. it's just stupid) and watch things like BBCAmerica which brings over the best of English/Scotish/Irish shows.

well, except for those dumb game shows which i never watch.

and i also ignore any news about Mimbos and Bimbos as well. it makes life alot better.
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
Wayne, I agree so extremely 100,000% with you on this...
Also, gruesome drama's are going on in the Congo, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Colombia, and so on and so on, but the only thing the media is interested in is that there's fired a single bullet in Jerusalem.

If you understand what I mean.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline PMC

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com

Karlos wrote:

Oh man, I just pictured you as Father Ted saying that :lol:

Or my own personal fave, Father Jack Hackett:

"Anniston?  Arse!"

"Pitt? Feck Off!"

Cecelia, I compliment you on your comedy taste.  

Wayne, if ever you get the chance to watch "Father Ted" you won't be disappointed I'm sure.  It was a true work of comedy genius.
Cecilia for President

Offline zudobug

• Show only replies by zudobug
I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment that the media sucks and the news is not being properly reported. I disagree with the suggestion that this is because the media is liberal, which it is anything but imo. If it were more liberal by my definition of the word, things would be better. But I understand that in the states "liberal" is a dirty word which even the liberals don't like to use.

-zudo
Realtime amiga.org chatting on irc.synirc.net - #amiga.org and #coffeehouse

Offline zudobug

• Show only replies by zudobug
PMC,

"Pitt? Feck Off!"

Absolutely.

I might once have stood up for someone who I believe to be a fantastic actor. But I lost all respect for the guy today when I opened the Independent and saw him in a full page advert for a bloody watch with the words... "What are you made of?"

The whore.

-zudo
Realtime amiga.org chatting on irc.synirc.net - #amiga.org and #coffeehouse

Offline Wolfe

• Show only replies by Wolfe

Speelgoedmannetje wrote:
gruesome drama's are going on in the Congo, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Colombia, and so on and so on .

Its not covered because no one truly cares.  And if someone was to care and do something about it, they would be criticized by everyone else.

So why bother?

Certain countries devastated by the Tsunami have asked the US to leave.  People don't want help, they just want to wine and blame everyone else.   :-(
Avatar Babe:  Monica Bellucci  -    :love: