Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga features in Greatest Home Computers list  (Read 3961 times)

Description:

Offline Gryfon

Re: Amiga features in Greatest Home Computers list
« on: September 10, 2020, 04:10:31 PM »
To me the IBM PC / compatibles were always "work" computers which slowly encroached into the home environment; so for me the PC being on a list of "Home Computers" is a bit of a stretch.  In the home is where they ended up though.

Looking back I can sympathise with software developers moving over to the consoles and eventually the PC.  Doesn't mean I have to like it though.

\\"We should take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.\\" Ripley, Aliens

Offline Gryfon

Re: Amiga features in Greatest Home Computers list
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 09:21:00 AM »
Unfortunately, I think the PC's dominance in the home was inevitable once it had conquered the office, all having to do with the simple fact that people like to play games instead of working. They'll play those games using whatever tools are at hand. People wrote games for the big Unix servers in the 70s because the machine was simply there. Likewise, in the 80s, people wrote games for PCs because the machines were simply there at the office. Once the hardware from the office got cheap enough for individuals to own at home (and price competitive with the existing home computers)... well, that would have been a hard tide to turn back. :(

I agree.  Hindsight is 20/20 of course.  But the writing was on the wall.  Commodore gone, Apple in the doldrums, Sony (Playstation) Sega (Saturn) and Nintendo (N64) about to release their new consoles and SVGA gaming with Doom around the corner to light the fire, where else were developers going to go?
\\"We should take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.\\" Ripley, Aliens