Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Completely off topic...but is Windows XP dead?  (Read 7019 times)

Description:

Offline orange

• Show only replies by orange
Re: Completely off topic...but is Windows XP dead?
« Reply #59 from previous page: January 24, 2013, 11:31:42 PM »
@AmigaClassicRule

when M$ stops supporting winXP, it wont become automatically open to all viruses. some people probably still use win2000, win95 and even older systems, those are probably as secure as win7. you will still be able to run thirdparty firewall and updated antivirus and other apps.
Better sorry than worry.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2013, 11:33:43 PM »
Quote from: k4lmp;723870
I always install SP3 manually, never had any issues at all.

Way to go Clint.
Why don't you come over to my house and help me figure out why update won't work on the laptop I'm currently typing on after SP3 installation?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2013, 11:47:32 PM »
Yes, it is dead as a door nail.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2013, 11:55:29 PM »
Quote from: orange;723883
when M$ stops supporting winXP, it wont become automatically open to all viruses. some people probably still use win2000, win95 and even older systems, those are probably as secure as win7. you will still be able to run thirdparty firewall and updated antivirus and other apps.
I've had exactly three virus infections in the fifteen years I've been using PCs, and all of them were on Windows versions which were still well inside their support window. It's all about good judgement and reasonable precautions on any system that faces the Internet, and third-party software can go a long way towards covering any holes that the OS vendor doesn't.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline k4lmp

• Show only replies by k4lmp
    • http://www.k4lmp.org
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2013, 12:00:24 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;723884
Way to go Clint.
Why don't you come over to my house and help me figure out why update won't work on the laptop I'm currently typing on after SP3 installation?

Why don't you try another SP3, did you ever think you might have gotten a bad copy?  The one I have is an ISO that I downloaded from the internet.  I have never had a problem installing SP3, and I like XP, even though I run Linux on all my PC's.  Like I said, I use it for WinUAE, simply because I like that emulator better than the ones offered in Linux format.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 12:08:03 AM by k4lmp »

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2013, 12:02:08 AM »
Quote from: Kremlar;723875
No, this is not the case.  You cannot "upgrade" from XP to 7.  You can upgrade from Vista to 7, but cannot go from 32-bit to 64-bit.  Also, I'd never recommend "upgrading" - you are much better starting clean.

There is a migration tool Microsoft has that backs up data & settings, which you then can use to restore after you do a clean install of Windows 7.  But, if you're reasonably computer literate you can certainly copy off all that data manually and restore it when done, rather than trusting their tool to get everything you need.

He is right, forgot about upgrading to 64-bit, not possible to upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit, but as he said you can use the migration tool since you do not want to upgrade to 32-bit W7 (need an iso of Vista first, upgrade without key then W7 upgrade works) :/

Quote from: commodorejohn;723880
Mostly Morrowind, really. There's a lot I like about Oblivion - much better combat mechanics, f'rinstance, and technically gorgeous visuals - but it just really hasn't aged well. Too many elements dumbed-down, and some changes that were intended to make things better just made them worse. (Particularly the way the magic system replaces gradually lessened spell-failure chances with arbitrary "milestone" skill levels where you're allowed to cast better stuff, making all the skill levels in between feel pointless, and the leveled-difficulty system, which is clearly intended to keep you challenged but ends up making you feel increasingly frustrated as the difficulty rapidly outpaces your character development to the point where you have to pour like two dozen arrows into a single random bandit!) Plus, it just doesn't feel like as much of a world so much as just a generic fantasy playset, as compared to Morrowind's frankly alien landscape - partly because, like a lot of fantasy works, it looks pretty much like France, and partly because having fully-voiced dialogue means there's a lot less of it to flesh things out, because every line costs money :/

I'm told Skyrim is an improvement on most of those fronts, at least, but I never got out of the tutorial dungeon on account of my system's inability to handle it. Hopefully it'll have more of what I liked in Morrowind than Oblivion did...

Yeah...I don't mind AGP, really, but it's much harder to track down a Socket 775 board with AGP than it is to just go PCIe, and anyway I got the card on the cheap at the recycle center so it's no big deal. Just gotta get around to getting a board + CPU combo and then I can cannibalize the RAM and extra disk storage from my current Core 2 box (non-gaming, as it only has the one PCI slot! Stupid little micro-ATX boards...at least it was cheap.)

Well there are parts I like and not like with Skyrim, it's dumbed down but the world is beatifull! I like all the Elder Scrolls games in different ways, but Skyrim is the current one im playing :)

Good luck getting that 775 board, I see em getting tossed at nearest recycling center quite often, tho often OEM.
I wish you luck and hope you get a board and CPU, 775 CPU's have risen quite some in price if you look at the more high end ones, but the dual core E series are quite easy to get cheap!

Offline AmigaClassicRuleTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2013, 12:07:13 AM »
Quote from: orange;723883
@AmigaClassicRule

My biggest fear is that people will start taking control of my computer while I am deep at asleep at night. Right there I feel violated just thinking about. It is no different than someone breaking in to your home while you are sleeping, this is not a good feeling to have. That is why I am considering upgrading to Windows 7 to have an ease of mind when the time M$ pulls the plug on Windows XP.

Otherwise if it wasn't for this factor and if there where constant security updates for Windows XP I would have not even considered upgrading. I never loved Windows 8, never will, never will be and no amount of brain washing and shoving it down my mouth till I agree will happen....I love Windows XP for it's user interface (from many other reasons) and it is like Windows 98 and up and I am used to this interface for so long now...and I am so comfortable...I love having multiple Windows, I love shrinking maximizing windows, closing windows, opening more than one window and inside each window is an application, movie, etc...I like that a lot.....A LOT A LOT A LOT!! That is why Windows 7 is like Windows XP in steroid and I am happy to go for Windows 7 easy.

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2013, 12:21:48 AM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;723892
My biggest fear is that people will start taking control of my computer while I am deep at asleep at night.

Why don't you just unplug your modem or router when you are not using it?  That's what I do.  It gets unplugged every evening before I go to bed and usually doesn't get plugged in again until I get home from work the next day and need to check the internet.

Hackers can't break into your computer if there is no connection to the outside world.

Shaves a few cents on your electricity bill as well (every little bit counts).
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline Iggy

« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2013, 12:49:37 AM »
Quote from: ral-clan;723894
Why don't you just unplug your modem or router when you are not using it?  That's what I do.  It gets unplugged every evening before I go to bed and usually doesn't get plugged in again until I get home from work the next day and need to check the internet.

Hackers can't break into your computer if there is no connection to the outside world.

That is an excellent idea.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Iggy

« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2013, 12:52:37 AM »
Quote from: k4lmp;723890
Why don't you try another SP3, did you ever think you might have gotten a bad copy?  The one I have is an ISO that I downloaded from the internet. I have never had a problem installing SP3, and I like XP, even though I run Linux on all my PC's.  Like I said, I use it for WinUAE, simply because I like that emulator better than the ones offered in Linux format.

Like I mentioned in my PM, I'd prefer to use legal copies of Windows.
Funny, Linux (these days) almost installs as easily as Windows.

You're right about WinUAE, every version of UAE ought to be that powerful.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2013, 12:58:27 AM »
Quote from: ral-clan;723894

More simply, you can just disconnect from Windows (assuming you don't just go the even simpler route and shut the computer down when you're not using it. Suspend would work, too, assuming you don't have wake-on-LAN enabled, which you really shouldn't.) No cable-monkeying required.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2013, 01:22:29 AM »
Quote from: som99;723868
You know you can upgrade to Windows 7 and keep all your settings, files, favorites, program, background picture etc etc as it is right?
Pop in the Windows 7 DVD and pick upgrade instead of custom new installation, no files will dissapere and you will keep all but GUI as it was :)

You cannot do an in-place upgrade from XP to 7.  You can upgrade from XP to Vista, then Vista to 7.  Or, there's a program by LapLink called "PC Mover" which facilitates an in-place upgrade.  It's pretty bad-ass and I've used it numerous times.

Offline AmigaClassicRuleTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2013, 01:24:27 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;723900
More simply, you can just disconnect from Windows (assuming you don't just go the even simpler route and shut the computer down when you're not using it. Suspend would work, too, assuming you don't have wake-on-LAN enabled, which you really shouldn't.) No cable-monkeying required.

I will go with the route of turning off my computer when I go to bed. * sigh * I love Windows XP and 7, those two are really my favorite Windows OS ever existence in the history of Microsoft company. Even if I was tied to the chair and Windows 8 was forcefully shoved down my throat I will not like or loved it as I would for XP/7. This is something the Microsoft company can never have control over me with, they may control what software I use and force me to get new hardware, but they cannot control my love to a particular software or OS.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2013, 01:33:22 AM »
There are many problems with Windows 8, the stupid legacy desktop, the lack of visual clues, etc.  But if you use it every day it isn't horrible.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2013, 01:33:35 AM »
Agree with you there acr.
Win8 is a serious suckfest.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2013, 02:09:40 AM »
Quote from: ChuckT;723830
If you buy a new computer, you won't have a choice.  Dell is forcing Windows 8 on everyone.

That's only for crap they sell at places like Best Buy.  Dell's business line is still entirely available with Windows 7.  Even they're not so stupid as to shoot themselves in the foot that badly!  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos