Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Black and white only  (Read 1516 times)

Description:

Offline Atn23Topic starter

• Show only replies by Atn23
Black and white only
« on: November 05, 2023, 07:37:48 PM »
Hi

I have just found our old Amiga A600HD in my mums loft and went to check that it was still working. It seems to boot fine and run games ok but there is a rather large issue. The picture produced is only black and white.

We have tried connecting it to different TVs incase this was an issue but there was no difference. We have also tried connecting via the composite RCA cables and via the RF cable, again it made no difference.

I cant seem to find any answers via google so was wondering if this is a known issue or if there are other things we could try to resolve this

Many thanks

Offline TribbleSmasher

Re: Black and white only
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2023, 10:42:50 PM »
The A600 is was one of the first machines experiencing damage from leaking electrolyte capacitors, destroying parts of the main board or just not working anymore.

Since you've tried multiple connections and all resulted in b/w instead of colour video, my guess is:
Capacitor damage.

Fix it. as soon as possible, as it only gets worse.

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2023, 06:34:21 AM »
Thanks for your quick response.

I dont suppose you can direct me to any guides for doing this?

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2023, 04:07:10 PM »
You might start with Youtube searching "Amiga 600 recap".

there are people in the community doing it for you, but you need to be close to one to avoid shipping the computer around.

Also professional repair shops are an option.

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2023, 06:51:52 AM »
Thank you, will have a look.

I think it is most likely that we will look to sell it on an auction site so may have to sell as spares/repairs as not sure my skills are upto the job

Offline 10MARC

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2023, 04:56:46 AM »
You know, it sounds a lot like the symptoms of a PAL machine trying to display on an NTSC screen, or Vice-Versa. It will be in BW in RF or composite if that is the case. It would display OK on an RGB monitor, or if you have a display that can display the other format.
Where are you located? Do you know if it NTSC or PAL? You can also experiment with booting with both mouse buttons down and switching between PAL and NTSC in the early boot menu.

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2023, 06:59:14 AM »
Hi 10Marc

I'm not sure if we have a display that can display alternative formats.

I am UK based and as far as i am aware it is a UK machine, but will try the tip you mentioned.

Thanks

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2023, 09:21:43 AM »
If you are looking to get a professional recap and repair done then can highly recommend Ian @ Mutant-caterpillar.co.uk
Well known and respected in the retro community. Plus will do a proper a job and keep you updated..

Offline F0LLETT

• Amigakit / A-EON Support
  • Administrator
    • Show only replies by F0LLETT
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2023, 05:19:36 PM »
Hi 10Marc

I'm not sure if we have a display that can display alternative formats.

I am UK based and as far as i am aware it is a UK machine, but will try the tip you mentioned.

Thanks

I first would ask, is it a crystal clear picture on RGB (even though B&W). Seems an odd one for cap leakage, never ever had issue like this. Maybe colour filters.
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2023, 07:55:45 PM »
I first would ask, is it a crystal clear picture on RGB (even though B&W). Seems an odd one for cap leakage, never ever had issue like this. Maybe colour filters.

I think you are right Chris. I remember now that Chris Edwards fixed something similar on a A1200 PAL board on his YouTube channel.