Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dragonbox Pyra.  (Read 472 times)

Description:

Offline wrath of khanTopic starter

• Show only replies by wrath of khan
Dragonbox Pyra.
« on: May 02, 2016, 02:20:42 AM »
The Dragonbox Pyra pre-orders are now open at dragonbox.de.

https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyra/

https://www.dragonbox.de/en/

The full cost of a Pyra is estimated to be around %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!8364;500 +vat (~$565 or £388) for a normal model and %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!8364;600 +vat (~$678 or £465) for the 4G model. The pre-order cost is %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!8364;400 (456 or £316) with the rest paid before the Pyra ships (date not finalised). So, yes, it's expensive!

The Pyra is the successor to the Pandora which was notorious for the lengthy, mishandled development and release period. However, the Pyra is being managed by the competent EvilDragon and developement has thus far been very smooth.

Hardware-wise, if the Pyra is anything like the Pandora then it will be an amazing and more powerful device. As with the Pandora you will be able to run emulators for Amiga, Atari ST, Spectrum, C64, PC DOS, Arcade, Neo Geo, Gameboy, Megadrive/Genesis, SNES, N64 and PlayStation and of course the Sega Dreamcast (amongst others and probably more modern machines) plus interpreted and open source games. There is also a full desktop Linux environment.

The specifications are:
Texas Instruments OMAP 5 SoC
2x ARM Cortex-A15 @ 1.5Ghz with NEON SIMD
2x ARM Cortex-M4
PowerVR%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!8482; SGX544-MP2
Vivante GC320 2D Accelerator
2GB RAM, 32GB internal eMMC
720p 5" LCD with resistive touchscreen
High-Quality speakers, analog volume wheel
Headset-Port, Built-in-Mic, HDMI Video Out
Various sensors (accelerometer, gyro-sensor, etc.)
Vibration motor
Ultra-portable: approx. 140 x 84 x 29 mm*
Huge battery for a long battery life (6000mAh)
Gaming controls (DPad, 4 shoulder buttons, 6 face buttons)
Two accurate analog controls with push-button
QWERTY keyboard with backlight
Integrated Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n (2,4 and 5GHz) and Bluetooth 4.1
Dual SDXC card slots, one internal MicroSDXC card slot (can be used for the OS instead of the eMMC)
2x Full-size USB 2.0 Host (one can be used as eSATA-with a small adaptor), 1x Micro USB 3.0, 1x Micro USB (Debug and Charging)
Fully configurable RGB-LEDs for notifications
Optional 3G/4G/UMTS and GPS module

Also there's a port of reicast already running on devboards so Dreamcast emulation is assured and running at fullspeed. An Amiga emulator is likely for the Pyra too.

I wonder if frodselheim would consider porting fs-uae to it?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 10:45:41 PM by wrath of khan »

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
Re: Dragonbox Pyra.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 09:20:33 AM »
That's a very weak SoC for 2016.

Whilst it probably won't affect emulation, native games will be noticeably weak compared to Android/iOS versions due to the old and weak GPU.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 09:23:24 AM by Hattig »

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 06:41:43 PM »
Yes, its an older soc but the pandora before it ran many things it might have seemed unlikely to run. It should be great for emulation, that's what I'll use it most for. It should see ports of various open source software and pc stuff via wine etc. I guess it remains to be seen what will and will not run.

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 04:46:25 PM »
The Pyra pre-orders have passed the minimum of 500 and the next target is 750, followed by 1,000.
https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/what-a-great-start-prepare-for-the-next-level.77376/

These devices are excellent for travelling, having a long battery life and being easy to operate in cramped conditions (e.g. planes).

Also, check out the recent Open Source conversion of Serious Sam 1 to the Pandora.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75FYb60L7zw

This is the Pyra prototype:

Offline psxphill

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 06:56:45 PM »
Quote from: wrath of khan;807813
The full cost of a Pyra is estimated to be around %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!8364;500 (~$565 or £388) for a normal model and %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!8364;600 (~$678 or £465) for the 4G model.

Prices on here says final price, so I would hope they stick to it.

https://www.dragonbox.de/en/45-pyra

However there is VAT to pay within the EU and if you want 4gb of ram as well then it's extra. If you go for the top of the range then it's %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!8364;745/£588

The pre order price is higher than you said, %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!8364;330 for the standard & %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!8364;400 for the mobile. The 2gb/4gb is the same preorder price, they haven't confirmed if there will be a 4gb version yet.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 06:59:36 PM by psxphill »

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 10:38:43 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;808037
Prices on here says final price, so I would hope they stick to it.

https://www.dragonbox.de/en/45-pyra

However there is VAT to pay within the EU and if you want 4gb of ram as well then it's extra. If you go for the top of the range then it's %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!8364;745/£588

The pre order price is higher than you said, %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!8364;330 for the standard & %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!8364;400 for the mobile. The 2gb/4gb is the same preorder price, they haven't confirmed if there will be a 4gb version yet.

Yes, when you add the vat its more expensive. The 400 euros is a down-payment.You will pay the rest when your Pyra has been assembled and is ready to ship. Pre-order money directly funds production. There is not enough money to do it any other way.
The 4 gigabyte model will most likely happen. Evildragon is just being upfront just in case he has to go with 2 gigabyte only. I reckon it will be 4 gigabyte.I'm in for a top of the range model myself. I think having both 2 gig and 4 gig models is pointless. Only a handful of people have pre-ordered the 2 gig models- everyone has plumped for the 4 gig model.Best to just have a 4 gig model imo.

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
Dragonbox Pyra.
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 11:53:00 PM »
Was an early pre-orderer for the Open Pandora, that was a mess of it own but finally came out and I liked it a lot. (before the Pandora I had both the GP2X and the GP32).

Then I pre-ordered and sent money for the pandora style smartphone keyboard (craig's project), it failed due to various reasons and i never saw a refund.

So yeah might get the pyra but this time I will wait until it's out, no offense to evildragon he is a great guy but I'm in no hurry this time.

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 05:20:47 PM »
Quote from: som99;808041
Was an early pre-orderer for the Open Pandora, that was a mess of it own but finally came out and I liked it a lot. (before the Pandora I had both the GP2X and the GP32).

Then I pre-ordered and sent money for the pandora style smartphone keyboard (craig's project), it failed due to various reasons and i never saw a refund.

So yeah might get the pyra but this time I will wait until it's out, no offense to evildragon he is a great guy but I'm in no hurry this time.

Yup, I backed the icp2 as well- I might have lost 600 dollars except that Evildragon and Link offered me a voucher at links shop that almost covers the cost of a pyra. So when they are available from stock I'll receive one.

That said the pre-order money directly funds production of the pyra. Pre-ordering ensures that the pyra actually gets made. It's looking like an initial batch of 1000 pyras will be made thus far- more pre-orders increases this number. So hopefully there will be pyras in stock eventually.

Yeah pandora was cool once the kinks were ironed out. Craig messed up bad with the icp2. Thankfully ed is doing a great job with the Pyra.

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 05:22:12 PM »
A quick overview of the Dragonbox Pyra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZDfTVX8Nb8
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 05:26:44 PM by wrath of khan »