Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fedora Core 4 Help  (Read 860 times)

Description:

Offline benJaminTopic starter

• Show only replies by benJamin
    • http://cms.jaminjay.com/
Fedora Core 4 Help
« on: December 23, 2005, 09:14:19 AM »
Hello All!

I am writing this here, as I trust that the information I get will be good and friendly (it has been up until now, why should that change?).

My Linux box has been becoming more and more bothersome.  It now won't even boot into X (it completes it's start-up tasks and goes to change into Login screen and hangs with the twisting hourglass).

'Twere it my Amiga, I'd have solved the problem by now, but I don't even know where to start.  I've Googled up and down the internet, even logged on to some IRC, but no luck.

Still functions nicely as a Firewall, but that's not what I want it for.

I particularly want to get my files off if I have to reinstall after I get my other box set up (it will be a dedicated gateway, just needs a new NIC).

Just remembered also, GNOME stopped loading the desktop after login a few boots before the problems really escalated...

As eUAE is the closest I've come to installing AOS on this PeeCee crap, I know not to go there.  Fedora seems stable, and I'd like to get it back there, but maybe I should install Solaris?

Any thoughts, hints, suggestions or directions to an appropriate site to find real answers without listing long outputs of repeated jargon would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

benJamin
"Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to All!"
Amiga.org - The site for MiniMig support and news.
blakemilesmusic.com

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
Re: Fedora Core 4 Help
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 09:26:48 AM »
Hi Ben

I have used FC4, it is a fantastic distro. The only thing I can think of is either a service is failing to start and is holding bootup, or there is a problem with your X/Window Manager configuration.

First of all, try flicking between all your virtual terminals to see if anything has errored. If any services have failed, then this could be your problem.

Failing that, log in to a terminal (not X) and check your startup log files for any errors which may be relevant. If this doesn't work, check all your config files for X and your Window Manager (default is Gnome I think with Fedora).

The only other thing I can suggest is that you try posting in the Fedora Forums. The people there are very knowledgeable and friendly and have helped me on several occasions.

Keep me up to date! :-)

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline banzai

• Show only replies by banzai
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 09:53:37 AM »
I'd also recommend JustLinux, where you'll find me lurking about. No sense in tying up an Amiga forum with FC4 questions.

BTW, have you tried running memtest86 from a shell (it's installed by default on your /boot partition)? And we'll need much more info from your lspci, lsmod, and dmesg outputs (post on the other forums, of course).

banzai
RH7-FC4

Offline Colin_Camper

• Show only replies by Colin_Camper
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 11:36:19 AM »
You could try logging in as root and running fsck - in case your file system is corrupt.
Colin Camper CCNP MCSE P45 UB40
A4000D

Offline benJaminTopic starter

• Show only replies by benJamin
    • http://cms.jaminjay.com/
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 02:15:08 AM »
@motorollin:

Have been tring to get my head 'round the directory structure.  I fixed my friends XOrg by deleting the config file when it wasn't working, but that hasn't worked for me.

@banzai:

I would also not like to tie up AOrg, but I would like to know where AOrg Linux users hang out (I feel I know Amiga users whether I've never met them or otherwise; it must be a gift from Mr. Miner).

@colin:

It forces me to do an fsck every now and then, my cable modem fails at such times and I need to unplug it.

@everyone:

Thanx again for all your help.  I will try to move this query to another site in the New Year when I return from holidays.

benJamin

"My Amiga is back online, all thanx to MouseKi.
 MouseKi: It's not perfect, but it can work."
Amiga.org - The site for MiniMig support and news.
blakemilesmusic.com