Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is Amiga Emulation better than the real thing?  (Read 19072 times)

Description:

Offline amiga_3k

• Show all replies
    • http://www.elf8.nl
Re: Is Amiga Emulation better than the real thing?
« on: April 23, 2008, 05:44:57 PM »
My opinion is that experiences differ. I was pretty amazed by the likes of Amikit on my Pentium 4 PC (2.4 GHz). That is until I felt in a really retro mode (the wife was at work, kids in their beds) and thouhgt it was a good idea to run OctaMED soundstudio to make some noise. I did that on lots of occasions when still running an A500, later the A3000, A2000 and A4000 and I had loads of fun doing so. But on Amikit it didn't come near to the real fun. It seemed like ages between hitting a key and actually hear the sound!

Naturally I blamed Amikit and did a minimal UAE install, only to find out that it didn't really matter. It turns out that emulation is good and acceptable if you're running programs in RTG mode (where the graphics are taken care of by the video-chips) and playing audio directly via the soundcard (over AHI). If your application depends on Amiga Audio and Amiga Video than UAE just doesn't any right to the Amiga. You'd be far better of using a true Amiga.

Which reminds me... has anyone ever done a real-life (i.e. gaming) comparisson between the Minimig and A500?
Get a SAM, while you can! The new AMIGA is here!

Offline amiga_3k

• Show all replies
    • http://www.elf8.nl
Re: Is Amiga Emulation better than the real thing?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 06:31:43 AM »

spihunter wrote:
@amiga_3k

I'm running Octamed w/ Winuae/amikit on a 3ghz Dell GX280 here and I dont get the lagging that your talking about?

Its faster and more responsive than my real 030/A1200?

I sold off all my "high end" Amiga harware after running Winuae on my Dual Xeon :-)

Then I must be doing something wrong (or that combo of Xeons is doing the trick, my machine has just a single core Pentium IV, luckily a true one, not a hellaron). Tell me the settings you use (can be done of thread by personal message) so I can check if it also solves the trouble I have playing Oldtimer.
Get a SAM, while you can! The new AMIGA is here!