Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Things dont look good for piratebay  (Read 4780 times)

Description:

Offline Varthall

• Show only replies by Varthall
Re: Things dont look good for piratebay
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 02, 2009, 01:10:40 AM »
Quote from: stefcep2;450316
C'mon guys we ALL know what that site is ALL about.  

And if they provide the hardware and advertise openly about it then they are actively facilitating the crime being executed.  Its got nothing to do with combating exploitation of the poor and civil freedoms being suppressed (or the freedom of the artists to keep the rewards of their music)

TPB is just a search engine, what's available through it is up to its users. One of the site's admins has made a research and found that 70%-80% out of 1000 seeds are legal stuff: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/02/pirate-bay-survey-says-that-80-of-our-torrents-are-legal.ars . Why TBF must be closed down then while a search engine like Google doesn't have to, even if you can find pirated stuff with it as well? Does its name ("The Pirate Bay") make it illegal?

Varthall
AmigaOne XE - AmigaOS 4.1 - Freescale 7457 1GHz - 1GB ram
MPlayer for OS4: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer-amigaos/

Offline Einstein

• Show only replies by Einstein
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2009, 01:14:44 AM »
I have spoken !

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2009, 03:31:51 AM »
it doesnt matter what happens to piratebay.  Piracy will live on regardless.  I use TPB and other ways to get torrents.  Fighting piracy is a waste of time and $$
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline hooligan

• Show only replies by hooligan
    • http://www.mikseri.net/hooligan
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2009, 05:28:17 AM »
Quote from: Varthall;508670
TPB is just a search engine, what's available through it is up to its users. One of the site's admins has made a research and found that 70%-80% out of 1000 seeds are legal stuff: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/02/pirate-bay-survey-says-that-80-of-our-torrents-are-legal.ars.

I find that very hard to believe. Just see the TOP-100 lists.. wheres the legal stuff then?

Offline mongo

• Show only replies by mongo
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2009, 05:46:15 AM »
TPB is just a search engine, what's available through it is up to its users. One of the site's admins has made a research and found that 70%-80% out of 1000 seeds are legal stuff: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/02/pirate-bay-survey-says-that-80-of-our-torrents-are-legal.ars . Why TBF must be closed down then while a search engine like Google doesn't have to, even if you can find pirated stuff with it as well? Does its name ("The Pirate Bay") make it illegal?

Varthall

TPB isn't just a search engine. TPB also hosts the .torrent files and provides a tracker.

Offline Claw22000

• Show only replies by Claw22000
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2009, 07:09:07 AM »
Wow this is crazy.  I'm sure google doesn't care there too powerful and have there hands in more places than even the government can keep track of.  However these guys are getting screwed for sharing torrents.  Its not illegal to download a backup of something that you own.  For instance if I own a copy of 4 Rooms DVD which is a hard to find DVD in stores anyway and it gets scratched when I download it and watch it I'm not breaking the law even though I may have had to go to a site that most people do break the law to get what I needed.  I do understand it does happen there and probably most of the time people download but just because the industries sick of sewing users doesn't mean they can turn it around and go after the providers.  Comcast Lost a lawsuit because the were blocking these torrents, and they lost because people use them for more than piracy.  

ANY Linux Flavor comes down faster on a torrent.  

Want to stop piracy make prices biased on income.  Art in some form of fashion is desired by every one, and now all people can afford to get it at its price.  So instead of just going well my life sucks and I guess I don't deserve to have this at my $5.15/hour job (Minimum wage US), people get it in what ever way is currently available.  How many people bought blank tapes and actually used them to make mix tapes that they didn't give away or share with some one.  Well should you sue the tape making industry because I'm sure they knew people used there product to make copies of copyrighted material.  Its just a case of greed in the corporate world gone wrong again.  This is why the whole economy is collapsing in the first place.  The same basic greed is every where and people don't invest because of fear of it getting worse.   That just makes things fall apart more.

I'm sick of it all damn the powers that be there all evil douche bags that could care less about the fulfillment of the lives of others.
Claw
A1200/3.1Rom/60GigHD/2MBChip/64MBFast/ACA123028Mhz/WiFiMA401/ClassicWBv26w
CD32/SX1/30GigHD/2MBChip/ClassicWBv26w/3.1OS/SX1 isn\'t allowing fast ram :(

Offline hooligan

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2009, 07:25:46 AM »
Quote from: mongo;508691
TPB isn't just a search engine. TPB also hosts the .torrent files and provides a tracker.

This is good point which some people tend to forget when comparing TPB to Google.

By the way do you guys guess what strikes me as funny..the fact that for so many years TPB admins have BRAGGED how they can do whatever they want, uphold the largest piracy center in the world and no-one can't stop them. And suddenly when they are facing penalties their counterargument is that its all been a big misunderstanding and a large portion of TPB is legal :-)

Sorry fellas, can't have it both ways.

Offline modrobert

• Show only replies by modrobert
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2009, 09:22:08 AM »
With support from the Swedish people (as seen with the 7.9% percent vote according to polls for the Piracy Party in European parliament election) and maybe soon having other mature democracies follow their lead (USA?), the future looks good for TPB in my opinion. It is high time to end the dark ages regarding copyright and patents (as I hope these times will be referred to in the future).

« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 09:39:14 AM by modrobert »
A1200: 68020 @ 14 MHz (stock), 2MB Chip + 8MB Fast RAM, RTC, 3.1 ROMs, IDE-CF+4GB, WiFi WPA2/AES, AmigaOS 3.1, LCD 23" via composhite - Thanks fitzsteve & PorkLip!

Offline hooligan

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2009, 10:10:13 AM »
Quote from: modrobert;508714
With support from the Swedish people (as seen with the 7.9% percent vote according to polls for the Piracy Party in European parliament election) and maybe soon having other mature democracies follow their lead (USA?), the future looks good for TPB in my opinion. It is high time to end the dark ages regarding copyright and patents (as I hope these times will be referred to in the future).

About the Piracy party, Finland will have its own section soon: Read about it here

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2009, 11:03:52 AM »
Quote from: motorollin;450341
I know, my comments weren't directed at stefcep2. They weren't even fully directed at you. I was trying to make a more general comment about the current trend in describing our society as "Orwellian" when really I don't feel it is anything of the sort.

UNTIL you got a company, like Airbus, and lose a 6 billion dollar contract

But yea, go on, leave it to the maffia, as long as it doesn't affect you.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline ZeBeeDee

• Show only replies by ZeBeeDee
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2009, 11:22:36 AM »
*sigh* more popcorn needed ...

Just another TPB thread on another board ... ho hum!
To err is human ... to BOING divine!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline jjTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2009, 12:46:44 PM »
Its strange and I dont know if the law has been changed in the uk( i doubt it as in the uk its still against the law to record tv programes, or rip cds to your mp3 player, thought I doubt anyone would get charged with anymore), but you can sue people who facilitate piracy.  They tried with the amstrad twin vhs recoreders, and also with the mulitface for the 8 bits computers, that let you dump games to disk, and they failed.  the reeason being that a) they could be used for ligitimate reasonss, thought they mainly were not and b) just because something can be used for piracy does not mean it has to.  Its down to the perosn using the device or service.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2009, 10:10:46 PM »
TPB is just a search engine, what's available through it is up to its users. One of the site's admins has made a research and found that 70%-80% out of 1000 seeds are legal stuff

And people read playboy and similar magazines for the interesting interviews ...
When I go to piratebay I know for what reason I do that.

greets,
Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2009, 11:44:55 PM »
If Playboy's images were the least bit exciting to look at, they wouldn't need to publish them alongside written text. Larry Flynt learned that long ago. (I know, Hugh is selling a lifestyle. Whatever.)

The only thing the Pirate Bay lawsuit has accomplished is the possible incarceration of several smartasses and the mobilization of a generation that has different notions with regard to intellectual property. Copyrights are not set in stone. They're sufferred to continue by the will of the people, whether you live in a free society or not. Art will survive with or without copyrights. Like everything else, the media industry must reinvent itself as a customer-centric service industry to survive. Artists that are in it for the money must do the same.

Offline jjTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2009, 03:29:13 PM »
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline ceaser

• Show only replies by ceaser
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2009, 03:44:02 PM »
I was listening to a supposedly "liberal" radio station in my area.  950 AM Air America radio in the Twin Cities and heard some lawyer talking about going after "website owners" for the content of their sites and how he loved to take their sites down.  And as a slightly informed individual I was so pissed at the ignorance of what he was saying and apparently doing in life.  I don't know where it all ends.  Maybe in 2012 like the Mayans believe.
it\'s too bad she won\'t live, but then again who does?